Dispatches from Turkey

Ok, so I don't have any internet here, so this will be a brief dispatch from Funky Cairo..I mean Istanbul.

This place is insane. Within 2 houres of arriving, the driver that was supposed to pick me up didn't, the shuttle guy at the airport tried to con me into getting a  car for double the price, the cell phone guy tried to con me into buying a link that would've been more expensive than the Turkcell one by 80% and a pimp who spoke perfect arabic tried to sell me on his privately onwed hamam with, and I quote, the nicest russian women I have ever seen. Needless to say, this place is insane! No wonder I love it.

Pictures and stories will come later. They have the funkiest food. They have a desert called chicken pudding, which is pudding with chicken in it. They sell turkishcoffer grounded with pestachio, They have 10 flavors for tea, apple tea being my favorite so far. And the people I am with are excellent. And I am , again, getting confirmed that this is a messed up region. Who knew that the assyrians were opressed in Syria? Crazy world!

But for now, I am ok, and I miss blogging. Damn you Hotel!

Untill then…

31 Comments on Dispatches from Turkey

1. Nomad
    April 16, 2007 at 10:34 pm

hehe, aren’t you a tourist ? you have to discuss the prices :lol:

2. Egypeter
    April 17, 2007 at 1:13 am

Those doner kebabs are delicious!

3. Eric
    April 17, 2007 at 2:46 am

And you thought that coming HERE was bad.

4. mikek
    April 17, 2007 at 3:50 am

So much for the bold Egyptian attitude about protecting women. If the U.N. were to do one positive thing the legal right to kill pimps anywhere and everywhere would be the one to go with. It is the new slave trade that modern people laugh at.

5. Waleed
    April 17, 2007 at 7:56 am

Yes, I love their doner chicken sandwiches with cold Ice tea and watching a Turkish league football game at the restaurant.. I’m sure you won’t miss visiting the Blue Mosque too.

6. Adam B.
    April 17, 2007 at 8:05 am

Ah, dönner kebabs are notorious bacteria bombs!!! Beware of dicey stomach! :D

Lucky b……! I wanna go on vacation too! Oh well, I guess I’ll have to settle for 5 days in London come may 9th…

7. Roba
    April 17, 2007 at 9:15 am

I loveeee Turkey. Mannn the food is so good. Don’t forget to visit Haiga Sofia!

8. John Cunningham
    April 17, 2007 at 1:07 pm

To be young and traveling. Maybe I’ll go downtown for a few hours one day next week, or maybe not.

9. Toady
    April 17, 2007 at 3:49 pm

The apple tea is very good. Also the honeyed apricots they have for desserts.

10. Aardvark EF-111B
    April 17, 2007 at 8:23 pm

lucky you, ass hole !!!!

11. the tapper
    April 18, 2007 at 1:23 am

Yevet ifendum, enjoy yourself and get some taza buluck down at the ferry docks. Donna Kobob its great, but watch the Turkey Trots They’ll get you every time…. Paveon Blue use to be a hot spot at night. Don’t know if its still in operation, but the Turkish Baths must be still in operation. They’ve been there since Roman times. Enjoy….How about that 300,000 strong demonstration…??!!

12. Suzanne
    April 18, 2007 at 10:58 am

I hope you did not pay a visit to the Russian women. Often those poor women are victims of trafficking.

13. Suzanne
    April 18, 2007 at 10:59 am

I hope you did not pay a visit to the Russian women. Often those poor women are victims of women trafficking.

14. alexander6
    April 18, 2007 at 2:45 pm

3 Christians had their throats slit today in Turkey for selling bibles. They make up less than 1% of the population, but that’s apparently too much.

15. Solomon2
    April 18, 2007 at 10:55 pm

Why blog when there are a zillion things to do in Turkey? Make the most of what little time you have!

16. rositta
    April 19, 2007 at 2:10 am

My offspring who was in Turkey two years ago had almost the same experiences. Fortunately for him he was a seasoned traveller and didn’t fall for it. He loved the food too…caiao

17. Cassandra
    April 20, 2007 at 10:02 pm

Who knew that the assyrians were opressed in Syria?

Of course they are oppressed in Syria, everybody in oppressed in Syria. Assyrians are Christians, you heathen! All Christians are oppressed in the Islamic world. In Iraq they pay dhimmi tax if they want to stay alive. Have fun!

18. JohnRC
    April 21, 2007 at 11:04 am

You back, yet, or what?

19. The Atheist Jew
    April 21, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Sandmonkey, it is a pleasure to let you know that you are on the blogroll of my new site and not a focus of it.

Judeophobe Watch.

20. forsoothsayer
    April 22, 2007 at 11:35 am

ahem….do u have your answer now, sm? even this post brings the nutjobs out of the woodwork (see: cassandra).

that said, u should have known about the assyrians.

21. RW
    April 22, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Rock on Sandmonkey, rock on. As President Nixon once said, if you are young and have no money, then borrow it. Then go and travel. It’s the best education one can get. He also called Istanbul the most interesting place: a place where East meets West.

Does that mean you can find a bar on occasion? I’m not quite sure that’s possible. But hope you have a great time and enjoy the finest cuisine.

22. Leftist Egyptian
    April 22, 2007 at 6:18 pm

As Italian Says ” Don’t You ever Trust a Turkish :D
    take good care of your self & tell me about chicks dude
    as we all know Istanbul Rocks ^_^

23. Turk
    April 22, 2007 at 7:25 pm

haha all cities come with the good and the bad people there is no reason to be cynical. Istanbul just happens to be one of the best places to be alive I hope you can enjoy it as much as I do!

24. Sam
    April 23, 2007 at 12:10 am

As the old Turkish saying goes:

A woman for duty
    A boy for pleasure
    A melon for ecstasy!

25. Mark
    April 23, 2007 at 1:55 am

uhoh it has been a while since SM has posted. I hope he isn’t in trouble for insulting Ataturk.