Sarkozy fascinates me

Not really him, but the way he is portrayed. It's, hmm, well, check this out:

Many blacks and Muslims in the troubled neighborhoods ringing French
cities voted for the first time, saying they were motivated by one
desire: to stop law-and-order, tough-on-immigrants Nicolas Sarkozy from
becoming president.

So, he is the law- and -order candidate, and that's suppsoed to be his weakness? The reason why he is disliked? And the people from the troubled french regions, the areas of highest crime rates and the cause of the fear fueling the french people to vote this time, are opposing him for it?

How exactly do your opponents expect you to lose an election when they are calling you law-and-order guy, and they are the ones causing the most criminal trouble in the country? Wouldn't that be like Bin Laden getting mad at Bush for going after him? I mean, even Bin Laden knows better than to do that. But it gets worse…

Sarkozy's campaign has been haunted by his use of the word "scum" to
describe young delinquents days before widespread riots erupted in 2005
in the bleak suburbs on the outskirts of the country's cities. Some
youths took Sarkozy's comment as a declaration of war.

"If Sarkozy wins, there will certainly be riots here in Clichy and
all over France," said Mohammed Saidi, a first-time voter who was born
in Morocco. The 43-year-old electrician and father of four voted in
Clichy-sous-Bois, where the riots broke out and spread nationwide.

Another first-time voter, 20-year-old Fatma Celik, said that if
Sarkozy wins the runoff May 6, "people are going to go crazy here."

So they shouldn;t vote for Sarkozy, because the people he cracked down on, who broke the law, might break the law again? Aren;t they saying that he better not win or else huge riots and acts of mayhem will take over the country? Isn't that using fear and the threat of violence to ensure getting their goal? Would we be stretching it, if we said that this is similar to terrorism?

Again, I am not a Sarkozy supporter, but god damn, If I was an undecided frenchman, and I see this piece in the newspaper, saying that the gangs do not want Sarkozy to win because he is tough on crime and they will conduct riots if he does get elected, well, I would want to elect this guy. Get some order restored to the streets, no?  And again, this is the image that his detractors and critics are penning of him. Amazing, no?

Comments

1. I can see the same anglo-angle of view, looking for the caricatural exemples that suits its point, anyway :

so, Mr Sarkosy is going to win the presidential elections, dispite his behaviour towards surburbs, well, I’ll be the one who help to elect him in 2 weeks, cause to me he is better “armed” to handle our country than segolene.

the fact that he provoked riots and is badly seen from rebel youth, was part of his strategy to gain the votes from people who fear the unsecurity ; now, that he’ll be in fonction of President, this matter will not concern him anymore, just foreigh affairs, his prime minister and the interior minister will inherit of the bad business, and I am sure they are prepared ! don’t forget Sarko is a mediatic animal, he will cleverly change his former image into a progressist and appeasing Christmasfather : for muslins he plans to built mosquees, and create an university course to learn koran for the future imans, so that the state will control the preaches ; I am for that kind of realistic enterprise, and as we don’t expect our immigrants to go away, then, it is a wit attitude to deal with them and try to make them feel more frenchs, than saudi islamists

and Sarko had voices from surburbs too, but that the anglo journalist (?) doesn’t want to cite … cause we are frenchs :lol:

2. Sm I think you should look again at what you wrote…there is a anybody-but-sarkozy notion because sarkozy is not tough on crime- he is tough on immigrants. people fear that if he comes to power there will be an increasing gap between immigrant and natives, more innocents are going to get hurt, and the increasing hate in the suburbs will only rise. its like bush being tough on terrorists so he goes into iraq- it just created more terrorists. and you read the quote completely wrong. people aren’t threatening riot, they probably fear there will be riots and they are predicting it. controlling an immigrant population isn’t easy, you can’t compare it to the US, you cant be a law and order guy and jump into the fray and start taking names. its a gradual process of education, endurance and cultural reform and people rightfully fear that sarkozy doesn’t want to deal with that.

3. As I understand it, Sarkozy’s platform isn’t just about immigrants. It’s also about reforming the economy to give business more flexibility, and therefore create more jobs. I don’t see why all those unemployed slumboys would be against that.

4. SM, your not a Sarkozy reporter? Please tell me your not supporting the socialist candidate.

5. John Cunningham says:

Here in Philadelphia we had a law and order candidate for mayor, Frank Rizzo. I forget what year it was, back in the ’70′s, but he alluded to that if he was elected he would lock up all the crimminals. Needless to say the black “community” threw a fit. He’s a racist. He didn’t say he was going to lock up all the blacks, he said he was going to lock up all the crimminals. Why do all you blacks have such a problem with that? If you’re not a crimminal you shouldn’t have a problem with that but you all are having a problem with that. They were shooting each other everyday back then and, today, they’re shooting each other everyday. They couldn’t live in high-rise housing projects so they were all torn down. Now they’re all in two story housing projects and nothing has changed. They shoot each other everyday. Philadelphia has presently the highest murder rate in the US. But, don’t let that scare you off. We call downtown Center City, so in Center City, south South Philadelphia and the Northeast, Philadelphia is a beautiful city. Cradle of liberty and all that. In this country you have the right to shoot each other everyday and we have a segment of the population that exercises that right to the fullest. War on Poverty(?), all we got out of that is a bunch of baby daddy running around in baggy pants looking like they’ve taken a dump in their diaper grabbing themselves like a bunch of two year olds that have to go to the bathroom. The culture, the community, the hood, yo’ momma. There is terrorism because the Army attacks terrorists, it’s the Army’s fault. The Army makes terrorists be terrorists. We have crimminals because police arrest crimminals. Police make crimminals be crimminals. Yea, right.

6. Yes, SM – it’s amazing. I hope he wins it. It seems that there’s just an outside chance – however slim it may be – that France will wake up to its multicultural experimental boob and take back their country. Turk says there will be an increasing gap between “immigrants” and “natives”. Isn’t that what the “natives” should want? Particularly when the “immigrants” aren’t interested in becoming “French” or even part of France. Immigration problems are never due to immigrants who want to become part of the country they immigrate to. The problem always stems from those immigrants who intend on bringing their country with them and have no intention of “becoming” French, English, American, etc.

7. As I understand it, Sarkozy’s platform isn’t just about immigrants. It’s also about reforming the economy to give business more flexibility, and therefore create more jobs. I don’t see why all those unemployed slumboys would be against that.

Who says the slumboys want jobs? France has a cushy welfare system. I always see these immigrants in news reports complaining about a lack of jobs but I suspect that just like inner-city blacks in the United States, if jobs came there way, many of them wouldn’t take them. Many of them just don’t want to work.

I remember seeing a news story a few years ago where a reporter met a bunch of young black men on a basketball court in some city. They were all unemployed. The reporter asked them why they didn’t get jobs at one of the the local fast food chains, which were looking for employees, and they responded by saying essential “man, we don’t want to make just minimum wage or 50 cents above it!” So all these men, who don’t even possess a high-school education, and have no work experience whatsoever (because they don’t want to start with a minimum wage job), expect to be given high-paid blue-collar jobs or else they will remain on the basketball court and presumably on government handouts.

And they wonder why they are poor!

8. #6, John, seems Philadelphia situation is worst than in our big cities suburbs, and in your country you have the gun culture, here, it is forbidden to handle a fire gun, except for hunters, but they aren’t the ones who shoot at each other, it can only be an accident or when one get mad and shoot at his family ; fortunately, it doesn’t happen ofently !

you guis, make too much noise with our surburb youth, eheh, may-be they like the advertising you make out of them and it keeps you on ranting on France on and on.

Really, I don’t feel unsecure here, and I go to Paris a few times in a year, nothing happened to me till now; and in contrary to your statments, the immigrants I happened to meat in the street are smiling, nice, or professional when they are in commercial business, or boutiques.

my son did a few video clips for surburb “rappers”, he went into the surburbs, could record his pictures, and was friendly accepted among the population ; so I can return you this : There is terrorism because the Army attacks terrorists, it’s the Army’s fault. The Army makes terrorists be terrorists. We have crimminals because police arrest crimminals. Police make crimminals be crimminals. Yea, right.

by :”if you want that people respects you, be nice and respect them too”

so The Sarko image seen as a “terminator”, is an epiphenomene in his politic carrier, I bet you’ll have Chirac the 2nd :lol:

9. Tommy: Who says the slumboys want jobs? France has a cushy welfare system.
    =======================
    And therein lies the reason for the outcry.

10. BrooklynJon says:

“Philadelphia has presently the highest murder rate in the US.”

I believe St. Louis, Detroit, and Washington D.C. all have higher murder rates than Philly. But Philly is a cesspool. That’s for sure.

And as for those who think that America is a dangerous place, read this:

11. The trouble with French is that they want to have their cake and eat it too. The high unemployment is merely the result of French protectionist policy. Once you hire an employee, it is almost impossible to get rid of him. Last year de Villepin offered a new law with an easier hire/fire policy for first-time employees in order to give the young a start up. He was shouted down and the proposal was quickly withdrawn. I like Sarko a lot, he is a energetic contrast to the oily Chirac. I hope he’ll win and let the suburb clean up commence!

12. BJ, where do you think life is the best ?

for those who think that the magrebin population want only to take profit of our welfare, your puting your middle finger right in the eyes ; here, in the small city where I live, 10 000 souls, there is no magrebin, just frenchs, and in the corner place where I stand, there are some few bastard frenchs who take profit from the welfare, and they drink it out, make some night noise, are nasty… I call it the “jet set point”, but to me it is ok, if they get state money, they won’t try to rob me or my customers ; I agree, that something must be done with the wellfare system, control better the accession etc… but there are people who can never bring something to the Society, who can never be worth of a work, they are the remaining cases percentages of the “rubbish” in a population, and you can do what ever you want to help them to improve, they will not, cause their brain is deprogrammed !

and for the immigrants, mostly arabs in your mind, I can tell you, they work where there are works avoidabilities, have enterprises, etc

the population who has problems to integrate are the uneducated black Africans, who are mainly coming over here as illegal “aliens”, they tend to become gangsters, or footballers if repered when they are young, but mostly gangster or a patriarch with quite a few wives to take profit out of our welfare ; whe know that, and I agree with Sarkosy for the “no way for the illegals”

13. “The problem always stems from those immigrants who intend on bringing their country with them and have no intention of “becoming” French, English, American, etc.”

They are colonialists or imperialists rather than immigrants. The British in India behaved in the same way. So did the Europeans in America.

14. John Cunningham says:

#11, BrooklynJon. Within a thirty mile radius of City Hall there’s about five million people. It’s only North and West Philadelphia that’s the cesspool. That’s where those that shoot each other everyday live. Yea, every once in a while some wacky resident of the rest of the region goes off. But those two sections of Philadelphia make up perhaps ten percent of the area of Metropolitan Philadelphia. Hmmm, ten percent of the population/region causing ninety percent of the crap. Seems to be a world wide phenomenon.

15. miss Eva, don’t get it wrong about our laws, I am an empoyer, , and I can fire an employee out whenever I need it, just make sure the motiv is good, otherwise you’ll get a court pursue

16. The trouble with French is that they want to have their cake and eat it too. The high unemployment is merely the result of French protectionist policy

Yes, this what the French have to deal with. If they want labor protectionism, then they have to accept high unemployment. American business has more flexibility but the people accept periodic layoffs.

It’s their choice on which they consider more valuable.

17. Toody it ‘s only the choice of 30 % of us, soon or later that will change, (more soon anyhow), the baby-boomer generation will retire in the next years, and this one comes, for most of it, from administration employements ; no serious political leader would think of replacing all of them by now, just the regalians ones, army, justice, enseignement, hospital…

18. brooklynjon says:

John,

“Hmmm, ten percent of the population/region causing ninety percent of the crap. Seems to be a world wide phenomenon.”

You got that right.

I was robbed at gunpoint at 10th and Spruce, a block from my house. Beautiful neighborhood. I was there for my internship (one year). In that year, about half of the internship class was the victim of some violent crime or another. I had a great apartment, but I had to step over the bums sleeping on my stoop every morning.

19. Libyan Warrior says:

i like what nomad said for once. Saudi islamist bad. Rebelion and chaos bad.
    Ligitamate moderate islam, and french identity good. I personally dont know much about this judeo-hungarian imigrant parading as a frenchie.

true very true indeed many wish for payback, and ligitametly so. What goes around has a ugly habit of coming back around. i am personally supporitive of the moderate integration initiative, because the chaos will only sling more mud on Islams good name. in anycase, this is a matter for the french and their former colonial subjects to debate about. But I must say in fairness the Algerians are being treated better then we Libyans are by the italians. in anycase, social darwanism will prevail, in the sense that which ever culture is more hardhitting and agressive will be the victor at the end of the day. France may very well become New Algeria, frenchies could very well be praying to Mecca, at the end of this whole ordeal.

20. Libyan Warrior says:

i like what nomad said for once. Saudi islamist bad. Rebelion and chaos bad.

21. brooklynjon says:

LW,

“i like what nomad said for once. Saudi islamist bad. Rebelion and chaos bad.
    Ligitamate moderate islam, and french identity good.”

Hard to argue with that. At least up to the “french identity” bit. ;-)

(It’s so hard to resist teasing Nomad!)

bj

22. BJ, LW has a story of love-hate affair with me :lol: but how could I care of a young unfinished adolescent in crisis, except with a smile ! (sometime the bastard has some genious ideas :lol: )

he is dreaming of the berber supremacy, but even Tarek Ramadan I saw tonight on TV would not recognize him as a brother, neither our “algerian berber immigrants who don’t bother of their over mediterranea roots for longs by now, they want to get a job and a decent life in France and have the liberty of cult, some practice, some (and more than he can suppose) don’t ; I never met one who wanted to convert me to islam, and I have been living in Paris surburbs, Marseille, Normandy, center of France, Brittany and center ouest now, so I guess I know a little bit of the differents composants of our population, the thing is when he’ll get a real life, he’ll have to compose with the people he is in relation with, and I bet he won’t talk anymore of his smoky ideals, unless he become a terrorist, but he is too lazy for that !

23. BrooklynJon says:

“he is too lazy for that !”

One would hope so.

24. Good point about the portrayal issue, but here’s the thing.

Sarkozy is a security madman. And, although being the son of immigrants himself (actually, his father was a Hungarian collaborator with the Nazis who fled to France in 1948 to avoid being tried in the aftermath of WW2), he hates immigrants. Especially if they’re the wrong colour, that is, non-white. Arabs and Blacks.

An example: I was called by undercover policemen on one the main streets in Paris (Boulevard Saint Michel, for those who know Paris), because I was handing my laptop bag to a friend of mine – and the policemen thought that if an Arab had a laptop then it must have been stolen.
    At that time, Sarkozy was the minister of interior.
    This is what is awaiting us if this fuck becomes president: an inhospitable country for all those who believe in a France that upholds its moral standards, a France that has always been the Land of Free, one where, by our humanity as individuals, we were all guaranteed equality, liberty, and fraternity.
    And yes, Sarkozy does have an economic reform plan, but it is quite too extreme for a French context. Mad liberalisation looks good on an introductory microeconomics course, but in real life things are pretty damn different. Now Segolene’s economic plan is unlikely to reform the economy either; at best it’ll maintain the status quo, which is far from optimal.

Also, Sarkozy has suggested, on national television, that suicidal tendencies are genetically pre-determined. On behalf of all families bereaved by the suicide of a family member, i say thank you. Thank you, you conservative pseudo-neo-con half-brained individual.

Sarkozy is a dangerous maniac who will lead the country straight into the wall if he was elected. He’s not the law and order guy, he’s the police brutality, the extreme right racism.
    So much that, when asked about what she thought about her reactions to the weak performance of her father Jean-Marie Le Pen (leader of France’s shameful Front National, extreme right), Marine Le Pen answered ‘it’s not a loss of Jean-Marie Le Pen – it’s the triumph of his ideas’. The extreme right is proud of Sarkozy’s electoral results – that should be a negative signal for the rest of the society…

So we’re talking about a showdown between average left wing woman versus extreme right wing dude. My choice is made, and I cross my fingers that all other reasonable people will not let Sarkozy turn France into a fascist state.

(oh, by the way — don’t you all think it’s alarming when a candidate is such a dangerous one that politically apathetic people just come out to vote AGAINST him? Isn’t that a sign of how fucking bad he must be?)

25. brooklynjon says:

Mohamed,

It’s never nice to be stopped by the police, and particularly not when they’re stopping you on the basis of who you are rather than what you’re doing. I have no idea what’s going on in France in that sense. But (to ask a question that is actually innocent), ARE most Arabs in Paris carrying laptops in fact carrying stolen laptops? I ask because I don’t know.

I know there was a big to do in the USA because suddenly there was a rash of black teenagers wearing all kinds of gold jewelry, driving late model BMWs on the Jersey Turnpike, mostly ferrying drugs up from the south to New York. When the State troopers stopped these cars, most of them had drugs in them. Still, they were derided for stoping people because they were black, which was strictly true because if the driver were a little old lady, they would never have stopped the car (of course, it probably wouldn’t have had drugs in it either).

And by the way, your use of neocon in your comment suggests to me that either it doesn’t mean in France what it means in the States, or that you don’t really know what it means, but are using it as a term to mean all around bad guy. Which, as a neocon, I’m not thrilled about.

26. Olivier Laurent says:

For American readers:
    1. Parisian Suburbs aren’t plagued by gun related crimes. There are mainly
    petty crimes (thiefs, public furniture destruction, etc.) and rude behaviors. And that is really what put Parisians on their nerves.

Mohamed:
    I don’t know where you found your “facts” but your should doublecheck their vailidity. Sarkozy has jewish ancestors, and thus hardly Nazi collaborators. For his genetically pre-determined stuffs I found them rather silly too. He is certainly a better politician than scientist.

Sarkozy economic policy is far from being truly Liberal. He still supports strong state interventions into the economy, especially helping selected companies in economic difficulties. The only thing you may find “liberal” is his position on the work and unemployment.

27. Mohamed, then why did not vote for Bayron, the common sense ? he would have been in challenge with Sarkosy and win obviously the elections ?

as far as Sarkozy jewish ancestry, it’s one of his great grand fathers from his mother side ; the allegation that his family was collaborating with the nazis is mere fiction while his family rather tried to get on with the communists when Hungary was newly occupied, and found out that it was not possible.

now, I am not a pro Sarkosy, my candidate was Bayrou, but Sarkosy is not the evil you pictured ; he might like to be in front of the cameras, and have “liberal” (european sense) ideas, but to me it is OK for the next five years rather having a leftty statu-quo, with nothing attemted

28. bridgette says:

Sarkozy is France’s last chance. If he wins I will try to go home if not then I will try to stay in the states. There are many like me who have left because of high unemployment. We are all throughthe eastern US and Canada. We will vote and we do hope he will win. Everything says he will as the rest of the support for other candidates will go 3-1 for him over Royal.

29. bridgette, don’t hurry, things will not change from a day to tomorrow so quick

30. brooklynjon says:

So, Am I to gather that, politically speaking, Sark is roughly France’s Giuliani?

31. dunno your Giuliani, but France “us” and “usus” are not possibly the same as in NY, so Sarko will have to compose with our mentality ground :lol:

32. dunno your Giuliani, but France “us” and “usus” are not possibly the same as in NY, so Sarko will have to compose with our mentality ground :lol:

33. Libyan Warrior says:

(It’s so hard to resist teasing Nomad!)

Indeed it is :P up until the french identity part i was being honest, but their this little angle to my left that says sock it to the frenchies.heheh. ‘New Algeria’.lol

True that.
    A job, a chick, a crib, a entertainment center, and a sweet ride is all anybody wants. “liberty of cult”. I like that one. Most Algerian Berbers are secular that fact is not lost on me. I like Berber securalists, because they are more nationalistic then religouse berbers.

hmmmm. yeah bj, thats a good way of putting it. He’s tough on security issues, but on social issues he’s fairly liberal.

34. Mohamed
    It seems you are arrested because of your color only since Sarkozy is ministry of interior. You are very lucky. Be fair: do you think he teached the police how to behave so? Maybe you are too young, but you should know the name of Pasqua, this very right wing politician who gave his name to a serie of laws against immigration. Does “delit de faciès” rings a bell in you? Since then (1993) everyone who looks arab, black or anything not very white can be arrested just because he might be illegal in the country. Since then every young person born and educated in France cannot become French automatically if he has foreign parents.
    The so called left, also known as the Socialist party, and exPrime minister Jospin, seemed to like it because they never cancelled this law. I might be not aware of it, but I don’t think that it’s in the platform of S.Royal. It’s true, maybe police feels more guiltless since Sarkozy, but they also have a law to support their action.
    Vive la République :(

35. LW, the spirit of contradiction might be your highest failure, till now, you asumed you were a eligious berber :lol:

36. Libyan Warrior,

you quote the old “what goes around, comes around” adage. Ever wonder why that should forever only apply to the West? Ever wonder what may one day come around for Arabs and Moslems on account of their countless misdeeds and crimes?

Mohamed,

there are immigrants who work hard and integrate — and there are immigrants who have a thuggish or / and supremacist mentality, cause trouble, are vastly disproportionately responsible for rape and other violent crime, and suck up welfare money, and want to impose their rules instead of conforming to those of the recipient society towards which they behave parasitically.

Why should not the first type of immigrant thorougly detest and, yes, even hate the second?

In fact, why should not everybody hate and detest the second type of person — a type which is vastly overrepresented among non-Western immigrants?

I in any case hate these folks, and due to those immigrants’ behavior a few dozen more Europeans do every day. Wanna change your pet group’s behavior, or wait for what might one day come around for them?

Better straighten up your act. Otherwise unpleasant surprises may manifest themselves.

37. Benjamin says:

To go back to the initial post: that’s great, whereas the article talks about “Blacks and Muslims” and “some youth”, smk calls them “the gangs”. Are we sure he’s not pro-Sarkozy?

38. Benjamin, yes, alike most of the bloggers on this place :lol: I am too, cause I have no better choice

39. Sandmonkey, your post, though interesting, has a too narrow view from the question. You’re right : who is wrong when he says the criminals should be punished ? Who is wrong when he says, you have the right to be safe ? But the whole matter is the method. How do you want to reach the common aim of happiness. ? Nicolas Sarkozy’s ideas should not be a problem in this discussion. Actually he is a neocons. What is a choice between others. But his political behaviour is completly uncorrect. He is in the government since 5 years, and try to fool us by saying : “With me it’s going to change”. His only law-and-order actions is to make sudden raids with special forces (and journalists he warns before) in the suburb so he can be seen on TV. Slowly the policemen, being supporting him, are changing their mind and complain : no everyday job, only mediatical actions. Moreover, he is dealing bad with the institutions. Being the minister who organize the election, he only left his job one month before the elections. He make pression on journalists (several complained and one was fired because he showed Sarkozy’s wife with another men, I mean showing in public : it was not a violation of privacy). He concentrate a lot of power on institutions. He is a real danger for democracy and for free speech (what i’m sure will be a sensible question for sandmonkey).

And please : stop thinking that inhabitants of the suburbs or immigrants in genral don’t want to work. 2,5 millions jobless aren’t lazy ! Fore those who think he will give job to anyone : why didn’t he manage in 5 year. The only thing he managed is a strike in the official statistic institute (INSEE), because they had to lie on the real joblessness evaluation !

40. Benjamin says:

Nomad: so we belong to different camps of bayrouists… on verra bien pour ce qui est du parti démocrate… but that’s another point!

41. Benjamen, j’espère bien qu’il verra le jour :lol: pour ce qui est de Ségolène, je la connais un peu, elle est présidente de ma région et je n’ai envie de lui accorder davantage de crédit

42. It’s exactly like the islamic reaction towards the Pope’s speech, Mohammed Selim EL-Awa and Egyptian ‘MODERATE MUSLIM’ said on T.V.: “Islam is the religion of peace and whoever says the opposite or critisizes islam will see horrors that their mind would fail to comprehend”

Exactly the same old disfigured butt ugly stupid intellect. say islam is peace or else! do not let Nicolas Sarkozy become president, or eles!

Well the world is not supposed to stoop for this shit. they can shove their “or else” up their ***

43. prout !

44. Sandmonkey you are truly a right-winged geekazoid… I love it when you say I am not ‘a sarkouzy supporter’… what are u then a sarkozy sex offender…