Musings

Sometimes I wonder: How do Iraqis feel about american action movies? Cause I think they probably hate them. Chances are they watch romantic comedies and family movies for escapism there these days. Meg Ryan and Sandra Bullock movies are probably very popular over there. And Disney. I bet they watch every Disney movie there is, even Aladdin, you know?

Plus, how do you think they feel about the eventual upcoming avalanche of masturbatory american military flicks- probably starring Tommy Lee Jones or Denzel Washington- that will eventually get nominated for academy awards about either Iraq veterans who are suffering emotional, physical and psychological trauma from some god forsaken mysterious mission- so mysterious you won;t get to know what really happened out there until the end of the film- in Iraq with lots of "It was hell and I was there, man", or about some  slightly fictionalized crazy ass real-life mission, like Black Hawk Down, that will have an incredible amount of serious violence and will be part of the zeitgeist for generations to come? Must be how the Vietnamese felt like after the Americans left, right? Did anyone ask them? You think they show those movies there? How are they perceived? Especially the horrible B movies of Chuck Norris and Michael Dudikoff? Delta Force, motherfuckers. Or Rambo, especially Rambo 3, with their "all praise to the brave Mujahedeen" line in it. They must really love that one there.

Fuckin A, man. Arab, Indian and hispanic actors are going to be working for years to come as extras in american movies as Terrorist A, B and C or as Iraqi army Officer "Hussein something" because, well, they are mostly Shia over there and god knows some anal associate producer with an obsession for "realism" would have to give the characters some seriously shia names for "authenticity". There will be lots of Aly's as well. No people with "kh" sounds in their names unless they are villians. Die Akkkkkkhhhmed, Die!

But at least the minority actors are going to be working, right? At least some good can come out of it, unlike an invasion of Syria for example. Cause Syrians are whites, blondes and with colored eyes. They look so Caucasian, that white actors can play them. Fuck that. Don't invade Syria America: Keep the brown actors employed!

Comments

1. John Cunningham says:

Except for a couple of IMAX movies I haven’t been to the movies for about eight years. Number one is too much talking from people in the audience that think we spent ten dollars to listen to them. Not. Anything I think I might want to see I wait a while to see it. Listen to all the critics and wait until the cable system runs it as an On-demand, wind up spending $3.99. Plus between HBO, Starz, Encore,TNT, TBS and others I can’t list them all, I must have thirty movie channels. I may not see exactly what I want but, with all that’s available, there’s bound to be something else. By the time I go through the TV Guide I usually forgot what I originally wanted. A lot of stuff coming out of Hollywood lately seems to be incredible special effects but lacking substance, bunch of crap.

2. damn right :)
    the worst example i’ve seen of such “realism” was the oscar-winning “West Bank Story”, the main actors of which were not even arab. i think the girl was indian or something. they would never give the role to a REAL arab. as long as she’s “dark enough” and speaks with an accent..

3. When I was a kid the villan had to be Russian – stupid, arrogant, and evil or stupid, arrogant, and idiotic.

Then the villan was Chinese or any Asian entity – that lasted for a while.

Now it is only natural that the villan is an Arab and that the US – as always – will save the world!

Realism is another story .. a longer and sillier story:) but as Zahra said as long as he/she is dark enough and speaks with an accent then it would work.

But in Egypt we are not very different with our cinema; the villan is anyone who looks and talks different – be it American, European, Asian, African, or Scandinavian.

And all you have to do is get someone who is blond, or bald, with blue eyes, or black shades, in a skimpy skirt or a starched shirt and they will do.

Great musings:)

4. First of all, Aladin is the best disney movie.

Secondly, taking rambo 3 as an excellent examples, most “arabs” exras that apeared in that movie were israelis… also, in the series “24″ an arab terrorist mastermind was infact Aki Avni, a crappy israeli wannabe actor. and when searching for “authentic” middle easten scenary, israel is also one of the hottest locations.

which makes sense, when you think about it, since we DO control the media, and hollywood is infact “jewish supremacy” spelled backwards.

5. When I was a kid I used to love this B-movie called Mad Mission. It was made in Hong Kong and dubbed to english – seriously silly and over the top! One of the villains was this european dude who was supposed to look and act like Clint Eastwood of the Dirty Harry films… Priceless!!! :o D

6. At least Hollywood is now trying to cast actors that look ethnic for ethnic parts. Pick up some of those old Arabian Nights type movies and see all the light-eyed fair-skinned black-haired Westerners playing Arabs.

7. over the times for french actors being the villans anymore ?

uhe, as french finances own a studio in hollywood, the casting is open :lol:

8. You neglected two of the best features of those “rambo” type movies:

Fake accents for all villains and ridiculously corny monologues by the chief evil guy (also in fake accent, of course)

9. Uchuck the Tuchuck says:

Worst Casting Ever: John Wayne as Ghengiz Khan.

It always amazes me how much the rest of the world looks like Southern California.

10. Melissa in NorCal says:

Nadav:

I think the best Disney movie is The Fox and the Hound. This movie could change the ME if all children their had it bored into their little fertile minds. My parents used it to teach me tolerance and love for my neighbors. At the end, remember?

Young Tod: Copper, you’re my best friend.
    Young Copper: And you’re mine too, Tod.
    Young Tod: And we’ll always be friends forever. Won’t we?
    Young Copper: Yeah, forever.

The part where Copper stands over Todd to defend his friend from a shotgun blast still brings tears to my eyes. THE FOX AND THE HOUND is one of those relatively rare Disney animated features that contains a useful lesson for its younger audiences. It’s not just cute animals and frightening adventures and a happy ending; it’s also a rather thoughtful meditation on how society determines our behavior.

11. This is utterly off-topic, but Black Hawk Down was the real deal. Honesty in filmmaking…mostly. :) My brother was an Army Ranger and friends with some of those guys. However, McKnight, played by Tom Sizemore was not a smoker. Sizemore thought it seemed macho or something. That was fiction…

Love the bit about “Akkkkhhmed”. Why won’t Americans pronounce “Ahmed” correctly? It’s easier than most people make it!

12. I doubt we’ll be seeing movies with iraqi villains for a while yet.

What we’re currently seeing are iraq-themed movies with american villains – the wicked us military, raping and pillaging. We’ll have more of these. Then, perhaps, more of the ‘bush lied’ type of movie.

Movies with al qaeda villains in iraq would be a big step forward!

It doesn’t affect me, though. I’m not going to see any of them, no matter who’s the villain. I’ll stick to my meg ryan movies, thank you very much.

13. These movies will just be another thing to sell back to the hard-up American soldiers who are willing to pay $10 for a camcorder recording of “Knocked up” or “30 Year Old Virgin”.

And because they’re action films, they might even be able to push the price up to $12.

14. Best Disney-Little Mermaid
    Best movie noted up there-Black Hawk Down…Saving Private Ryan was good, too.
    I have a feeling the next “reality based on a movie” will be something
    like Outbreak.
    Pry GATTACCA if we’re not all dead

15. RU sure?
    I thought everyone is named Mohammed?

16. Oh, and I second what dick said. All the villains are American right now. I don’t know if that trend will ever really end, actually.

17. John Cunningham says:

dick and jen, believe me, I’m not saying this to pander to our host, but the Rex Harrison, Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor movie “Cleopatra” is one of my favorite movies. I think I’ve seen it 50 times. Every once in a while PBS trots it out. I much prefer the first half though, the Battle of Actium still fascinates me. No special effects, everything was built for that movie. “Cleopatra” trivia, that movie still, when adjusted for inflation, is the most expensive movie ever made.

Then, did either of you see the HBO series “Rome”?

Never having been to Egypt that’s what I envision Egypt to be, a place with a lot of new stuff built around all that old stuff.

18. john,

if you like that kind of movie, you could try to get the video of “Scipion the African” a “cinecitta” movie from Mussolini times (1937), impressive !

19. John Cunningham says:

Nomad, I wrote it down to keep it in my face. I don’t have a VCR or DVD but when I’ve squeezed every last nichol out of my analogue TV and am forced to upgrade and graduate to HD I’ll spring for something that plays both. I’m holding out as long as I can so the cost of HD is cheaper. We still have a couple of years until they make the transition to the HD signals. Is it true Western Europe has already made the conversion?

Anyway, speaking of old movies. I don’t know if you can deal with silent movies
    they can be tough. But, there’s D.W. Griffith’s “The Birth of a Nation” Griffith was alive during our Civil War so he hadn’t been subjected to political correctness when he made the movie in 1915 or 17, I forget. It’s not that I was alive then, that’s not why I can’t exactly remember. But, I digress. It’s a little over three hours long but it could give you some insight as to what we’ve been doing for the past two hundred thirty years.

20. I am messed up with your initials VCR HD…

you mean “TNT” numeric signals ?

yes here we have already the new system, but we had to remove our old TV ; not all of us have done so though ;

I have both, but I am not a great fan of TV, lot of ininteressant programs !

as far as watching a good movie, I prefer to watch it in a “cinema” ; but it happens sometimes there is a good surprise on TV

I am going to have a look at your reference :lol:

21. http://www.weshow.com/fr/p/3827/la_naissance_dune_nation_bande_annonce

here is a video for “the Birth of a Nation”

seems that the movie got a big polemic about how were considerated the Blacks, kind of apology for the sudist system… in the meanwhile it was the first movie in the world which created the cinematographic language, a reference for the following movies makers

22. If your expecting a movie about American soldiers fighting Jihadi Arab bad guys out of Hollywood, you have a long wait coming. They changed the evil doers in Tom Clancy’s “The Sum of All Fears” from Islamic terrorists to some goofy German neo Nazis.

23. “They changed the evil doers in Tom Clancy’s “The Sum of All Fears” from Islamic terrorists to some goofy German neo Nazis.”

Haven’t seen it
    My Ancestors were from Germany. What is the freaking obsession with Germans? I think it is only fair we have a new group to focus on.
    Give the German people a little break in this era…didn’t you see “Schindler’s List”?

24. Sorry Des13-
    that was supposed to me a general comment to society..nothing to you personal..
    sorry..bad writing on my part:)

25. SM, very funny. Thank you.

Anyone who wants to see serious work try ‘Hot shots!’ then wash it down with ‘Hot shots! Part deux’.

26. John Cunningham says:

24, Nomad, I don’t understand Sudist system. The big flap when the movie was made was the way the Ku Klux Klan was portrayed in what seemed to be a favorable light. The North disarmed the South and law and order completely broke down. The North was not able to properly provide adequate security. The Klan was originally put together by Southerners to take up the slack and did so for about ten years. When they became irrelevant they needed a reason to continue. That’s when they evolved into the hate group that we know them as today. Forty years later when the movie was made people wern’t fully aware of that and misunderstood what Griffith was portraying in the movie.

27. thanks for confirming the explanation I read though ;

anyway your history is not simple and not finished

28. When I was a kid the villan had to be Russian – stupid, arrogant, and evil or stupid, arrogant, and idiotic.

I’ve noticed that German terrorists are rather popular. Which is rather ridiculous since in the post-WWII era Germans haven’t been responsible for much terrorism outside of Germany itself. I guess the whole Nazi thing never gets old with Hollywood.

29. here is a video for “the Birth of a Nation”

“Birth of a Nation” is undeniably racist but for its time it was a very revolutionary film and nobody who is seriously interested in the history of film should fail to see it. Another worthwhile Griffith film is “Intolerance.” (The link contains the first hour of the movie. The other two portions of the film, each an hour long, are in the associated links in the upper right.)

30. hi Tommy, thanks for the sharing, I’ll look forwards your link when I’ll get time

31. I hate it when the villain turns out to be a nazi. it proves really poor writing skills. I especially hated it when it happened in the Hellsing OVA