Nasrallah doesn't get it

The guy just publicized a speech yesterday , claiming that having a President voted in by the parliament with a 50% +1 Majoirty (which the Lebanese constitution allowes) would be "an unlawful seizure of Power" by the March 14 government and will not be acknowledged by the opposition. Hmm..Ok, Nasrallah, here is how democracy works: People vote, those with the majority votes win and set the agenda. Now, this does suck for the people who lost, but if they are true believers in democracy, they work on their message, and they do their best to win the election the following election cycle. What they don't do is drag their counrty into useless and futile war, destroy its touristic economy afterwards by shutting down their center touristic attraction, and threaten the government with their weapons if they don't get what they want exactly how they want it. And you know why that is? Because if the next election is held and your side wins, the losing side can just do what your side is doing, and nothing would ever get resolved. I understand that your syrian and Iranian masters you have grievances, and they might be legitimate, but your methods are anything but, and all that you and your supporters are doing (this includes all of you dumbfucks who follow Aoun) are just bringing the country closer and closer to a civil war.

But that's what you always wanted anyway, No?

0 comment on Nasrallah doesn't get it

1. Anonymous Leb
    November 12, 2007 at 11:09 am

Dear Sm,
    Let me start by saying that nasrallah could be completely wrong and the devil himself for all I care, I don’t know or care, that’s not the point of my post.

I have two points:
    You said “which the Lebanese constitution allowes”
    I have read the Lebanese constitution in English, and the original Arabic version and asked some lawyer friends (who themselves are not experts on the constitution either) the conclusion i got is that it is vague at best. Add to the fact that through history even during the war for some “unknown” reason opposing deputies were brought to the parliament even at gun point under bombs to be present (ex when Bashir Jemayel was voted) so that more than than 2/3 are present during the vote.
    So my question is how do you know ? Are you an expert on the Lebanese constitution? or did you friends just tell you that about it and you took it form granted? (because the devil can’t be right can he :-)

Also you say “Ok, Nasrallah, here is how democracy works”
    Then you ramble about majority.

Example -as I understand the US constitution- Even if Gore wins the popular vote in the US, even if more than 50% of the people , even if THE MAJORITY votes for him he does not become president (he has to win the electoral vote instead).
    Because that’s what the constitution says, and that does not make it undemocratic.

Another example -as I understand the lebanese constitution- if Nasrallah can convince all the Lebanese people to vote for him and his family so that all parliament members are Nasrallah cousins even if the absolute majority of the people vote for them he still cannot rule because the constitution clearly says he cannot do that (half the deputies must be form another religion) even if by you “naive” definition of democracy he can do whatever he wants when he has majority.

In both examples ADDITIONAL conditions need to be met other than a simple majority/minority issue regardless if the guy who got the majority likes it or not for it to be considered legal

In conclusion IMHO, nasrallah can very well be wrong, but he definitely is not wrong for the simplistic reasons you are providing.

Ranting of an anonymous leb

2. Leaflesseve
    November 12, 2007 at 2:04 pm

So what is your point exactly anonymous?
    you’re giving us the U.S. as an example? you’re saying that if the Green Party (for example) decided to hold an open never ending ARMED sit in in Downtown DC or NY, it would be their right?
    Please don’t compare Lebanon to the U.S.
    Lebanon has 2 assholes for neighbors, and has been under occupation by one or the other for the past 30 years. Plus, it seems to be the battle ground for ever regional conflict… if Brazil & Nigeria have a war, we will see it’s effects here in Lebanon…
    Yes it’s a democratic country and everyone can do what they want… and because of the assholes around us, no limits have been set for these freedoms. We need LESS democracy with people who want to take us back to the dark ages. They don’t understand democracy, so why should we apply it on them?
    When they decided to kidnap the Israeli soldiers, they didn’t ask Auon, or anyone else for that matter……. so please don’t tell me what they have the right to do or not do.

Politically, Hizballa is going no where… as the post said, this is NOT how u oppose other parties, cause if YOU win, they can do the exact same thing.

As far as a militia, they are also showing their weakness… they have NOTHING else to do so they take over downtown & start parading their muscles on the Lebanese border areas… and scream at speeches saying:

They are DONE my friend… they just don’t know it…. it IS that simple.
    Bil3arabi, 3am bibal3to

3. Leaflesseve
    November 12, 2007 at 2:08 pm

oops, there is a sentence missing: scream at speeches saying: “NO ONE IN THE WORLD can take our weapons………3rrrrrrrrrr”
    khawaftini ya shaikh…
    very democratic………

4. Anonymous Leb
    November 12, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Leaflesseve it is obvious to me that you completetely mis-read or misunderstood anything i might have said, here is why i think so:

You say” you’re saying that if the Green Party (for example) decided to hold an open never ending ARMED sit in in Downtown DC or NY, it would be their right?”

I have no idea how anyone in their right mind can deduce that from what I said. I did a search on “sit in” and “arm” and “downtown” and I found none of them in my post ! So if you can please point which sentence in my post let you understand this? Maybe I can reformulate it to confuse you less.

You also say: “Please don’t compare Lebanon to the U.S.”
    Some comparisons do not hold, like “they have the same neighbors”, i did not make that comparisons.

Other comparisons hold like : “They both have additional requirement written in their constitutions to explain how democracy should work” I did make that comparison.

But I degress you asked a question and I will try to reply, what is my point ?

My point is : if someone (like Nasrallah for example) says : It is illegal to do X in Lebanon.

It is wrong to reply : That’s not true because you kidnap Israeli soldiers and cause war and you are a militia and you eat babies.
    Those things (even if true) have nothing to do with the truthfulness of the original claim, they are irrelevant.

It is a bit the same way you responded to my post, in order to show me that: “In Lebanon if you get over 50% of the votes you are allowed to rule which ever you want with no further conditions”
    You started talking about the sit in , about the weapons of hizballah, about the war they caused, about how the party is going no where … Things that might be true but are completely irrelevant to the point.

5. leo
    November 12, 2007 at 6:18 pm

I’ve been wondering, why rest of Lebanese have to treat HA sit-in like hostile action.

Try doing this – come up there, sit down with them, drink tea, smoke hookah, play backgammon, watch football, talk prices, children, hemorrhoids but do not talk politics under any circumstances. Make it endless social event. Sort of like carnival. I guaranty you will kill this sit-in action faster than with guns. If I am wrong, Lebanese still have nothing to loose (baring few backs in backgammon game gone badly).

6. Anonymous Leb
    November 12, 2007 at 9:03 pm

leo :-)

7. kathy
    November 13, 2007 at 1:39 am

Anonymous Leb

You, of course, did read Leb constitution, but as you say, you and your friends are not experts. So why the hell do you think your (read: Hezb) opinion is right? Just because Nasrallah said so?
    If hezb wants to rule, let it, but it should follow the constitution, not spin its own understanding of how elections should be held, not saying that weeping willow’s government is illegal, not asking Lahoud to “help us, please tell syria to help us” not saying “we are resistance, nobody has right to take our weapons” . “Nobody has a right, to take our weapons” what a BS.!!.
    Rule of law is a rule of law, constitution is constitution and your f&*(4ing american examples have nothing to do with Lebanon..
    Poor, poor Hezbullah & Nasrallah. I am so terribly sorry for them. They have to deal with others and can not start with dictatorship at once. ;-)
    [quote]Democracy works by having “the people rule” without specifying HOW. It is up to the people themselves through the constitution they craft to decide.[/quote[
    Really? I thought “the people rule” was a communism credo.

8. Anonymous Leb
    November 13, 2007 at 11:08 am

Khaty thanks for your comment.

What part of “nasrallah could be completely wrong and the devil himself for all I care” and “the conclusion i got is that it is vague at best” (my words) made you think that I beleive “Hezb opinion is right”. (your words) ? I think read someone else’s post on someone else’s blog and replied to me by mistake. That’s OK.

You say, “we are resistance, nobody has right to take our weapons” . “Nobody has a right, to take our weapons” what a BS.!!
    You are completely right, that’s bull shit and they are full of it … if you want we can write a blog post about how the government should take their weapons and then you can agree and I can agree and we invite other people to agree and we live happily ever after but that still does not answer the question about if they can elect a president with 50+1 because that’s a different topic ! DUH … strange i feel like I have said this somewhere before!

You say:
    “If Hezb don’t like now to follow Leb election procedures then it is and always will be a militia – nothing more nothing less.”
    Now you are wrong again and totally confused and mixing irrelevant things … but that’s OK.
    because even if Hezb follow the election procedure THEY ARE STILL A MILITIA by the very definition of the word militia regardless of their opinion on the election procedure.
    When they do one good thing they don’t become right on everything else and when they bad things they don’t become wrong on everything else. Some things are related, some things are not.

“Somehow in your “understanding” of Leb constitution you forgot that constitution can be changed. So Nasrallah can not be dictator from the step one but will be dictator in step two. Right? Right.”

He cannot become a dictator from step one therefor he cannot get to step two, to change the constitution he must have two third elected according to the OLD constitution then he can change it.
    Otherwise he can have a regular old coup, no need to meddle with the constitution.

And most importantly you say :
    ” Really? I thought “the people rule” was a communism credo. ” Which is what amused me the most.

I don’t know if you are trying to be “smart” and want to “tarnish” my comment by trying to link me to communism
    Or you are rally saying you thought that because some hoe my comment made you open the dictionnary and you discovered you were wrong … In all cases … yes plase do take any dictionary or encyclopedia and open it on the word “Democracy” and read the first few paragraphs.

Here is a link to wikipedia because it is the easiest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy but really any other source ex Britanica online will tell you the same:

The second sentence in the first paragraph is: ‘ Its name comes from the ancient Greek for “rule by the people” ‘

Duh what you thought was communism is actually the literal meaning of the word demo-cracy !

The first sentence of the second paragraph is : “Majority rule is a major principle of democracy, though many democratic systems do not adhere to this strictly”

Duh almost exactly what I said in my original rant “I am sorry to disappoint you but that is one way democracy can work, but not the *only* way.”

If you or sm have only very limited knowledge of possible democratic system, well your loss.

I bet Nasrallah is paying people to add those sentences to wikipedia and Britanica just so I can win arguments online … right ?

Also I guess because I quoted wikipedia on the definition of democracy you’ll somehow understand that I agree with Nasrallah or back him up or something like that, because really, why would I quoting wikipedia if I was not … right ?

I just I love ranting, don’t I.

9. joe
    November 14, 2007 at 1:59 am

Why Hezbollah LOST the War in Lebanon!
    And the Current ‘Present’ Situation in Southern Lebanon

On July 12, 2006 Hezbollah kidnapped two Israeli soldiers that led to Israel’s war with them and, by extension, Lebanon itself. Hezbollah has been on Israel’s fence since the latter’s withdrawal from Lebanon in 2000. Israel always requested from the international community and from the Lebanese government to deploy its Lebanese Army there instead of Hezbollah militants. Hezbollah, quite naturally, refused! Hezbollah vowed to NEVER allow any other force other than itself to occupy southern Lebanon. Even during the conflict, Hezbollah said it would never agree to allow either the Lebanese army nor international monitors to patrol southern Lebanon.

Then finally, when two IDF (Israeli Defense Force) soldiers were kidnapped, Israel found the perfect excuse it was looking for to go into Lebanon and push Hezbollah well away from the Lebanese-Israel border. Israel pursued a limited invasion and killed over 500-600 Hezbollah members during the one month war. Additionally, Israel took over every single village in southern Lebanon. During the conflict even though Hezbollah received such a blow and all its members were freaked out and on the run. Yet when the hostilities ended, Hezbollah claimed victory! But did it really win?

Firstly, Israel agreed to a cessation of hostilities NOT because it surrendered and defeated militarily, but because of international pressure from the European Union and the United States. During this conflict Israel endured more international pressure, than it ever did in the past 10 years. Israel was put forth conditions and international agreements, such as the deployment of 15,000 Lebanese soldiers and 15,000 United Nations peace keepers into southern Lebanon, and arms embargo on Hezbollah. “This” proposal which was presented to Israel which EVEN Hezbollah agreed to accept, was something Israel was yearning for for many decades and was a once in a life time opportunity, it was a REAL “golden opportunity,” even the far right in Israel said “this is an excellent proposal, so give it a shot.” This cessation of hostilities, known as “The August Ceasefire”, was initiated by the United Nations and International Community, and was put forward before both parties, Israel and Hezbollah, Hezbollah JUMPED right on the wagon to accept, because they saw it as the only way out of the mess they got themselves into. While at the same time, Israel was more stubborn on accept this ceasefire-agreement, since they were on a winning streak. Ever since then Hezbollah has not been seen or heard from in Southern Lebanon! At long last the frail Lebanese Government has finally had a degree of sovereignty over all of its state and is finally monitoring and guarding its own borders.

Not too long ago, nearly all television and print media images coming out of southern Lebanon were that of armed Hezbollah fighters with their guns, outposts, and banners. Not anymore! Hezbollah is now hiding under rocks in Southern Lebanon, its military might having received a substantial blow. In addition, Hezbollah is no longer enjoying the freedom and luxury of easily transferring Syrian/Iranian weaponry across the Lebanese-Syrian border or via the Beirut seaport. Much of this due to the combined efforts of a stronger Lebanese army and U.N. forces keeping a lid on such transferals.

But even though the International Troops and the Lebanese Army keep Hezbollah in check, isn’t there still Hezbollah presence in Southern Lebanon, EVEN THOUGH they are hiding “under rocks?” The same could be said for Al Qaeda presence in the United States, who are also hiding under rocks.

Hezbollah may portray themselves as fearsome “militants” but they are in fact cowards cowering behind Lebanese civilians. Yet, through mostly pin-point targeting, the IDF dealt a heavy blow to Hezbollah. Five to six hundred Hezbollah terrorists were killed and nearly all of their bases, headquarters and tactical infrastructure destroyed.

Some might say, “But didn’t Hezbollah manage to shoot over one hundred rockets into Israel every single day? AND why, during the war, didn’t the Israel army/air-force ever manage to stop the Katyusha fire?” Well the answer to that would be “What’s so impressive about groups of one or two rag heads pointing and setting off an unguided Katyusha southward into Israel?” In addition to the fact that Hezbollah only needed 1% of their military might in order to shoot Katyushas from their scattered fields and caves, into Israel every day. Plus, the only way to have completely stopped the Katyusha fire would have been to occupy every square inch of South Lebanon, including 20 miles north of the Litani, and to stay there for a few months.

Israel ‘BADLY’ miscalculated Hezbollah, those past 6 years since it withdrew from Lebanon. Why? Because in 2004, it was estimated that if Israel was to engage in war with Hezbollah, their Katyusha arsenal would result in 100 deaths per day on the Israeli side, but instead only 2 people per day were killed by those rockets. But during the war, Israel came to the realization that 99.9% of all those rocket attacks, mostly result in a lot of noise and broken windows. Prior to the war it was also estimated that if Israel launches a ground invasion, it would result in the deaths of over 70 Israeli soldiers per day, which would have left over 2000 dead on the IDF side at the end of the 34 day conflict. But only 120 soldiers were killed in total, which makes it 3-4 soldiers per day.

The reason 120 soldiers were killed in the first place, is because what would someone expect if an army deployed 30,000 soldiers squashed together in a small, tight, open space (South Lebanon)! It was amazing that after the war, those soldier didn’t all suffer from cluster phobia. But even though Israel deployed so many soldiers in the open, Hezbollah didn’t manage to deliver that harsh blow as was estimated before the ground invasion. But after all, Hezbollah didn’t fight as courageous as the Egyptians during the Suez Canal invasion, nor as the Syrians during the war in the Golan heights.

It shouldn’t shock the world that Hezbollah bombed a couple Israeli Merkava Tanks, because even the Palestinians have done it in the past too. Blowing up a Merkava Tank is NOT an ‘uncommon’ operation. But at the same time Israel was still advancing and still taking over every village in South Lebanon, bombing every headquarter and outpost, all Hezbollah members were on the run. Even though Israel lost a couple of tanks and didn’t destroy Hezbollah, it still doesn’t mean they (Israel) were defeated militarily. The definition of military defeat, mean: to crush the other side, force it to flee and or be on the run, or force it into surrender. Israel was not defeated militarily!

The same can be said about the Israeli naval ship that was bombed by Hezbollah of the coast of Lebanon, during the first week of the conflict, which caused a tiny bit of damage to the ship and which resulted in the deaths of 4 Israeli naval soldiers. Once again this wasn’t a military defeat, but it was an internal flaw, which meant that; Israel needed a better anti missile naval detector radar, a better anti missile interceptor, and better armor for its ship. But did Hezbollah succeed in sinking the ship and destroying it completely, did they destroy all the Israeli naval ships of the Lebanon Coast, did Israel scurry away with all its ships with its tail in between its legs, or did Israel ask for a cease-fire? NO! Instead, Israel simultaneously the same day, brought the damaged ship back into Israel for repair and sent another ship to the Lebanon Coast to replace it.

During and after the war, Hezbollah regretted starting the war in the first place, by kidnapped the two Israeli soldiers. But Israel on the other hand, didn’t regret going to war with Hezbollah, not even 1%. In fact Israel was ready to go for round two, but Hezbollah, will not dare even consider thinking about it.

During the fighting, many people (both inside and outside Lebanon) finally saw Hezbollah as they really are… a terrorist group. It’s strategy had little or no military value. The rockets they launched were intended to cause terror among Israel’s citizenry. They were not aimed at Israel military targets.

Israel never managed to destroy Hezbollah. As much as the IDF might have wanted to, the wiping out of Hezbollah was not Israel’s goal. Nor could it ever be its goal. It is against the laws of physics to destroy a guerilla/terrorist group (America is learning it the hard way with Al Qaeda) since their operatives and members are always blending in and out of the civilian populations from which they so cowardly operate. In fact NEVER in history has a guerilla group ever been destroyed.

Additionally, rescuing the kidnapped IDF soldiers without a strong intelligence as to exactly where they were hidden, would have been a nearly impossible mission.. assuming they had not already been secreted out of Lebanon into Syria or Iran!

We constantly hear phrases such “Hezbollah emerged stronger,” “Hezbollah is now stronger than ever,” or “Hezbollah is now seen stronger than before!” There is some truth to that. Since before the Israeli withdrawal of 2000, Hezbollah was seen as more of a small arms, home made explosive, cut and run group, but during this conflict they were able to show off their Iranian made weapons. But they were no match for the Israeli army, whom they bowed down to at the end, by feeling too threatened to attack and provoke ever again.

When the United Nations wanted to impose a 48-hour ceasefire, it was Hezbollah which rushed to accept while Israel had to be pressured. Obviously this was because Israel had the military momentum in her favor. And when the month-long conflict ended, Hezbollah leader, Nasrallah, remained in an underground bunker, no longer enjoying frequent visits to central Beirut, giving daily “Hate Israel” speeches, driving down to his home town of southern Lebanon or enjoying first class flights to Damascus and Tehran. Nasrallah even admitted that had he known that even one percent of this war would have gone as it had, he would have NEVER kidnapped the soldiers and thus started the war!

“We did not think, even 1 percent, that the capture would lead to a war at this time and of this magnitude. You ask me, if I had known on July 11 … that the operation would lead to such a war, would I do it? I say no, absolutely not.” – Hezbollah Leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah, August 27, 2006

In February 2007, there was a skirmish between Israeli troops and the Lebanese army on the Israel/Lebanon border, even though this skirmish that resulted in a shoot out and was unfortunate, the ray of light from all this, was that Israel was confronted and attacked by the Lebanese army and not by Hezbollah. This was one of the first signs that showed that the Lebanese army was doing its job. This was mostly due to the fact that Hezbollah lost its kingdom in Southern Lebanon, and is NOW in constant check by UNIFL, Lebanese Army, and International Troops. At least the Lebanese army was able to stand its ground and take control, unlike BEFORE the August 11 ceasefire! At least Israel finally got its wish, after 40 years, to FINALLY have the Lebanese army in control of the border. Since August 11, 2006 when the Lebanese army began its deployment in Southern Lebanon, not a single Katuysha, let alone a singe bullet was fired toward the Israeli side of the fence by Hezbollah. Unlike after the Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon in May 2000, when Hezbollah would look for any excuse to shoot Katyushas into Israel at least once every three months, but not anymore. No longer will the Israeli citizens of Northern Israel will ever live in fear once again!

People in the Lebanese Government now hate Hezbollah, for bringing destruction to Lebanon. All of Hezbollah’s southern Beirut strong posts were destroyed by Israel. Even after the cease fire, Israel stayed in Lebanon for two more months in order to destroy all remaining Hezbollah outposts and bunkers while Hezbollah stood by and did nothing. During the conflict some of the Israel/Lebanon border fence was destroyed and torn down, and Israel was in no rush to fix it, since what’s the point? Hezbollah will not want to mess with the IDF again! Even until today some of that fence has not been fixed yet, since the only threat of infiltration, now, is from drug dealers smuggling Hashish across that border.

But what about the Winograd Commission, “which is an independent Israeli government-appointed commission of inquiry, chaired by retired Israeli chief judge Eliyahu Winograd, which is set out to investigate and draw lessons from the failures experienced by Israel during the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict. Which resulted in a war panel, and even the resignation of high figures such as the Israeli chief of staff Dan Halutz.” The reason THIS is currently taking place in Israel, is it goes to show that Israel is a democratic country! If a “Lebanese-Winograd Commission” would be done to Hezbollah; for launching an illogical irresponsible attack on Israel, by kidnapping the two soldiers which led to the war and the destruction of Lebanon. And if a Lebanese Winograd Commission would be done to the Lebanese government; for not controlling its southern border by allowing thuggish armed militias (Hezbollah) to roam free there, allowing illegal weapon shipments via the Lebanese seaport, air port, and Syrian Lebanese border to those armed “non-governmental” militias, and allowing Syria and Iran to meddle in its politics, then Lebanon would crumble to dust! But after all, Lebanon is not a Democracy.

Worst case scenario, the Winograd Commission and some of the failures of this war, prove, that Israel might have been defeated from within, but not militarily.

Furthermore there hasn’t been one complaint filed against Hezbollah on behalf of UNIFL and the International Troops since last year’s August cease-fire, the only complaint filed, was against the Israeli army for their over flights over Lebanese territory. Speaking about Israeli over flights, even the Israeli army itself, hasn’t complained even once, about hostile enemy fire against its planes by Hezbollah. Since Israel withdrew from Lebanon in May 2000, up until the war last summer, they continued their daily over flight and breaches over Lebanese territory, only to find themselves being confronted by Hezbollah anti-aircraft artillery. But after the August cease-fire Israel ‘STILL’ continued its breaches over Lebanese airspace, but this time, Hezbollah hasn’t even shot one pellet at them! Maybe because they are deterred and maybe because UNIFL and the Lebanese army are now in control.

After the war, Hezbollah saw that it could no longer push around and bully Israel, and are therefore now trying to bully the “weak” Lebanese government by; their mass demonstration, camping out in front of the Lebanese Parliament, and political assassinations.

Israel did loose the war last summer, but not in Lebanon, but instead in Gaza. After Gilad Shalit was kidnapped, Israel began a massive military campaign in Gaza, destroying infrastructure, entering towns and cities, going after terrorists, and also trying to stop the Qassam rocket fire. But instead, all it achieved was nothing, and the results of it were, that now, the Palestinians saw even more of a weakness in Israel. After the Israeli military campaign in Lebanon, deterrence was at least achieved, BUT unlike in Gaza, after the massive military campaign took place there (Gaza), the Israeli deterrence was lost for good, and now, the Palestinians are, even, more UNDETERRED from Israel that ever! And therefore have increase their rocket fire into Israel. In addition to the fact that as soon as Israel stopped its military campaign, Hamas and other groups said, “They are now even more determined than ever to kidnap another Israeli Soldier.” In April of 2007, they acted on their promise, under the cover of intense rocket fire on the Israel town of Sderot, Hamas terrorists again attempted to infiltrate Israel in order to abduct another soldier, but failed. A month later the militant group Islamic Jihad successfully infiltrated Israel, to also try to kidnap an Israeli soldier, but also failed. At least they weren’t afraid to try!

After the war some Arab Governments claimed Hezbollah achieved a divine victory! But hey, lets not forget, that some of those Arab governments which claimed Hezbollah won that “divine victory,” are some of those “same” Arab governments who “STILL” until today claim that the Syria and Egypt won the 1967 War and the 1973 War!

Conclusion:

People from around the world, before the August cease-fire, would have never believed nor imagined that the Lebanese army would EVER be in control of its southern border. Nor, people would have never believed Lebanon would EVER be able to establish control over “illegal” arms shipments across its Lebanese/Syrian border, sea ports, and airports, and, well, it finally is!

Hezbollah will most likely never dare kidnap IDF soldiers because they saw the might and strength of the Israeli army, and they now feel threatened. Sure, some Hezbollah sympathizers may throw rocks, wave Hezbollah flags or scream “Allah Akbar” at the Lebanese-Israeli border fence but Hezbollah rank and file are laying low. Very low! And Hezbollah is no longer the imminent threat at that very same border.

Since the ‘moment’ the two soldiers were kidnapped and even during the war, Israel knew, they would not succeed in getting them back, in addition to the fact that destroying a guerilla group is against the laws of physics! Once people will get those two facts into their heads, then THEY will realize that, the outcomes that were achieved as a result of this conflict, were the best possible “REALISTIC” outcomes that Israel could have achieved.

Obviously this past year, the Northern Israeli border has been the quietest it has ever been over the past 40 years.

By, Gabriel al-Amin
    Beirut, Lebanon

Articles and Refernces:

UNIFL: Not ‘ONE’ complaint filed against Hezbollah since last years cease-fire
    (Jerusalem Post 6/14/2007)

Again, Israeli gloom is misplaced (First Post – 4/17/2007)

Lebanese army, UNIFIL are keeping Hezbollah in check (Haaretz – 2/21/2007)

Hezbollah’s ‘Victory’? (Washington Post 9/1/2006)

The Lebanese Winnograd Commission (Thomas Friedman, New York Times 5/10/2007)

10. joe
    November 14, 2007 at 2:07 am

The Murder of Jewish Toddlers!
    What Hezbollah is all about!

On July 12, 2006 Lebanese Hezbollah militants crossed the border with Israel in an operation dubbed “Operation Truthful Promise,” which was aimed at nabbing Israeli soldiers in exchange for Lebanese prisoners. Hezbollah succeeded in the operation and successfully took hostage two Israeli soldiers, Eldad Regev and Ehud Goldwasser. During the operation, eight Israeli soldiers were killed. This ignited the sequence of events which led to the Israel/Lebanon summer war.

The story goes further back than July of 2006. It really began in April 1979! On Sabbath day, April 22, 1979, Danny and Smadar Haran met up with a monster named Samir Kuntar.

Danny and Smadar were a loving Israeli couple. They had everything they could ever hope for… love, marriage and two precious daughters, Einat, 4 and Yael, 2. That day Smadar was home anticipating Danny’s return from work and preparing for the Sabbath. She had just picked up their two toddlers from day care. Danny, on the other hand, was looking forward to nothing more than getting home and spending time with his wife and his two young daughters.

Traditionally, the Sabbath is the most special day of the week, the day the family gets to spend time together and celebrate their bond to Judaism. It was especially important for Danny who, as a young father, had to work extra hard in order to provide for his wife and young children. Little did Smadar know that this would be the last Sabbath she would celebrate with her family because of a man named Samir Kuntar. Around midnight the nightmare began!

What’s the deal with Samir Kuntar?

Since April 22, 1979 Samir Kuntar has been incarcerated in an Israeli prison. Samir Kuntar, a Druze from the Lebanese mountain village of Aabey , who currently holds the dubious distinction of being the longest held Lebanese prisoner in Israeli jails. Kuntar is currently ONE of THREE Lebanese prisoners still serving time in Israeli jails. Kuntar was convicted and sentenced to a 542 years prison sentence by the state of Israel . Israel even almost tried to pass a bill to have him executed! What did he do? What was his crime? The crime Kuntar committed was one of the most sickest, heinous, barbaric crime ever committed on Israeli soil.

The crime took place on April 22, 1979 when Kuntar led a group of 3 other terrorists, all members of Abu Abbas PLF (Palestinian Liberation Front), infiltrated the Israeli coastal city of Naharya and broke into the Haran family apartment and took Danny Haran and his 4 year old daughter Einat Haran hostage. When Kuntar and his gang broke into the apartment, the wife, Smadar Haran and her 2 year old daughter Yael, were also present in the apartment. Smadar managed to find a crawl space into which she, her younger daughter, 2 year old Yael, and a neighbor all hid. To prevent Yael from crying and giving away their hiding place, Smadar covered the child’s mouth with her hand.

Kuntar and his group took Danny and little Einat down to the beach. At the beach Kuntar shot Danny in the back. Danny survived the gun shot but moments later was drowned personally by Kuntar. All this was witnessed by the young daughter. Kuntar forced her to watch her father’s murder so that [in Kuntar's words] “his death would be the last sight she would ever see.” Kuntar then laid the little toddler down on a rock and smashed her head with the butt of his rifle. She didn’t die right away, so Kuntar beat her with his rifle repeatedly, over and over again (all this done, while she was screaming and crying), to ensure that she was dead.

Meanwhile in the apartment, Smadar’s attempt to muffle her daughter’s whimpering proved fatal. Yael was accidentally suffocated and died within the hiding space.

And on July 12, 2006, the ONLY reason why Ehud Goldawasser and Eldad Regev were kidnapped by Hezbollah, was to force Israel to release/surrender Samir Kuntar.

Now the dilemma is, should Israel release Samir Kuntar in order to gain the release of Goldwasser and Regev? Unfortunately Kuntar might be freed in the next couple of days in exchange for these two soldiers, or their caskets, since there hasn’t been even one sign of life since their kidnapping on July 12th. For those who didn’t know, Samir Kuntar was the only reason that’s been holding back the release of Goldwasser and Regev, for almost a year and a half.

The nerve of Hezbollah to honor a child killer like Kuntar. The nerve of Hezbollah to kidnap two Israeli soldiers in order to force Israel to release a child murderer from jail! This is what Hezbollah is all about.

The July 12, 2006 abduction was originally named “Operation Freedom Samir Kuntar,” by Hezbollah. But days before the kidnapping Hezbollah changed the name of the operation to “Operation Truthful Promise,” due to the fact that Nasrallah made a true promise to the family of Samir Kuntar to have him freed from jail.

In September 2000, three Israeli soldiers were kidnapped by Hizbollah, along with an Israeli businessman, Elhanan Tennenbaum. Nasrallah immediately demanded Israel release all its Lebanese prisoners INCLUDING Samir Kuntar. In 2004 Israel was holding a TOTAL of 26 Lebanese prisoners. That same year, 23 out of those 26 prisoners were released, in order to secure the release of those 3 IDF (Israeli Defense Force) soldiers as well and Elhanan Tennenbaum. This prisoner exchange also had a second phase, which involved Hezbollah providing solid evidence on the fate of Ron Arad (the Israeli pilot who went missing in Lebanon in 1986) and in exchange, Israel would release the 24th Lebanese prisoner, Samir Kuntar! Hezbollah failed to deliver the information on Arad, and the deal was off.

In 2006, when Goldwasser and Regev were kidnapped Israel was out of bargain chips, its only choice in order to gain information on the fate of these two soldiers is the release Samir Kuntar. Who even knows if Goldwasser and Regev are alive! Let’s not forget, the four years prior to the “infamous Israel-Hezbollah prisoner exchange of 2004,” Israel had no idea on the fate of their soldiers until the day of the exchange. Only on the day of the exchange Israel found out, they would receive 3 caskets instead of 3 soldiers.

It is beyond sickening, a man who beat to death a little toddler is celebrated for his glorious deed. Kuntar has been dubbed by some parts of the Arab world as the “Dean of World Prisoners.” Who would imagine? Hezbollah crossing the border into Israel, killing four Israeli soldiers and kidnapping 2 more, going through all this trouble, JUST to free a child killer!

There is another point worth mentioning. Hezbollah has never claimed that Kuntar was innocent or that he may have been framed. They only demand his release as if he were being held unlawfully and that Israel had no right to imprison him.

Kuntar is probably the most hated person by the Israeli public. He is known as the “killer of Nahrya” instead of “terrorist of Nahrya.” And to think that this person is being released under the context of threat, extortion, and blackmail! If it wasn’t for kidnapping of soldiers, Kuntar would have continued to serve out his sentence.

Israel has an extensive history of releasing prisoner with blood on their hands, it has been done in the past and most expect that, it would happen again. This time with Kuntar. It is important to keep in mind that prisoners who are in Israeli jails are serving time for something. Israel is not a “gangster” or “lawless” state that imprisons people based solely on a whim. Every prisoner was charged, stood trail, convicted and properly sentenced. They were not kidnapped simply because they were Arabs. Hence, there is no justification in comparing the kidnapped Israeli soldiers to Samir Kuntar.

There is a fine line between a humanitarian release of prisoners or releasing prisoners for the sake of peace AND knuckling under to unadulterated extortion. There is also a huge difference between someone with hatred in his head and he who has blood on his hands! Nobody expects that someone like Kuntar who is released will become Lovers of Israel! But someone and others like Kuntar who have committed murder or collaborated in the planning of that murder should be considered an unacceptable risk. It goes beyond forgiving terrorism. It becomes an abetting in any future terrorism carried out by those released. Israel will viewed as a weak state that can be brought to its knees by extortion.

If Israel was to release Kuntar it would be the biggest thing they ever surrendered! The Sinai Peninsula, Israel gave back under negotiations, the West Bank and Gaza Israel also gave back under negotiations of the Oslo Accords. In 1985 during the famous “Ahmed Jibril Exchange” Israel released 1200 prisoners for the release of 3 IDF soldiers, some of those prisoners who were released had blood on their hands including Kozo Okamoto who killed 22 Israelis. BUT even all those 1200 prisoners put together, cannot compare to the savage murderous act committed by Samir Kuntar. Israel also currently holds 10,000 Palestinian prisoners, some of which have been incarcerated for conspiring, carrying out, and masterminding murderous terrorist attacks (suicide bombings, shootings, etc…), which targeted Jewish civilians in Israel. BUT even all those 10,000 prisoners put together cannot compare to Kuntar.
    Kuntar could have shot little Einat or blown her up, but instead he took his loaded gun and just bludgeoned her on the head repeatedly for several minutes until she was dead! Lets not also forget, the fact, that several minutes prior to murdering Einat, Kuntar drowned her father in front of her, and forced her to watch.

Anyone, who reads this article and does not shed a tear, is not a human being.

What kind of country is this to release a child murderer from jail under the context of threat and extortion? If we release Kuntar, we know what message it sends to Hezbollah and other terror groups like Hamas, etc… But what obscene messages does it send to the families of those Israeli murdered, especially Smadar Haran whose daughter was beaten to death by a man who hates Jews. What Kuntar did was not only a terrorist act but should also be considered a criminal act. And what demoralizing message does it send to the Israeli troops and security services who risked their lives in order to capture and arrest the terrorists?

There is no doubt that Goldwasser and Regev need to be unconditionally released from Lebanon, Syria, Iran or from wherever they are now being held. Olmert’s “good will gesture” has disaster written all over it. Appeasement didn’t work with Hitler and it will not work with Hezbollah. “Negotiations” will not work either for over what exactly is there to negotiate? How far will Israel go to assure its own disappearance?

There will be nothing positive coming out of the release of Kuntar. There is no worst context of releasing prisoners than under the context of threat. But today October 15, 2007 there is chatter within Israel to drop the demand for Ron Arad for the exchange of Kuntar.

The Official Website of Samir Kuntar
    Israel moots Kuntar prisoner swap
    (AL-JAZEERA 9/17/2006)
    Free the monster Samir Kuntar
    (Haaretz article 09/04/2006)
    Plot to free terrorist (Kuntar) may have led to fight
    (Washington Times 8/8/2006)
    Nasrallah says no deal without Samir
    (9/12/2006 BBC article “Nasrallah Demands Militant Free”)
    “Hizballah Wants Israel to Free Child-Killer”
    (Cybercast News Service, 7/18/2006)
    More than 25 years later, militant still atop Hezbollah’s list for swap
    (Seattle Times 8/16/2006)
    Why Hezbollah Attacked Israel
    (Mens News Daily 8/09/2006)
    Samir Kuntar to be released very soon
    The Jerusalem Post 1/6/2007
    Video of an interview with Smadar Haran on CBC
    (RealPlayer required)

11. yochanan
    November 14, 2007 at 2:38 am

You might want to as iran’s little syrian doggie about the Israeli air force and the syrian/north korean nuke reactor that seems to be missing in action?

The other question is did the russian air defence workers go on vacation?

12. Anonymous Leb
    November 14, 2007 at 9:34 am

I guess those who can, argue, those who can’t, copy / paste.
    hehehehe you guys have amazing copy / paste abilities ! I bow I bow.

13. Adam B.
    November 14, 2007 at 11:56 am

In comparison, we have just had an election in Denmark…

- 86% voters participation – woot!
    - The ruling government (conservative/liberal) stays in power with the exact number of seats needed between them and their support parties (90 out of 179).
    - Not a shot fired.
    - Congratulations to the winners, better luck next time to the losers, business as usual in the parliament AND in the streets and no hard feelings between the two sides.

Now THAT’s how democracy works!!! :o)

14. Anonymous Leb
    November 14, 2007 at 3:45 pm

Adam B.
    Congrats for you guys, I hope you guys know that you are lucky sobs and I envy you :-)