The Teddy Bear Lady charged in Sudan

For inciting religious hatred. See, I told you , you can't name a cuddly toy after our Prophet without us getting mad at you. But what's really amusing is the school's response:

Several Sudanese newspapers ran a statement Tuesday reportedly from the
school, saying the administration "offers an official apology to the
students and their families and all Muslims for what came from an
individual initiative." It said Gibbons had been "removed from her work
at the school."

While despicable, I believe the school's action is understandable: They don't want to get killed, especially not over a freaking Teddy Bear, and in Sudan, especially in this case, that's actually a possibility. Would you wanna lose your life because of a Teddy Bear political crisis?

And of course, no such crisis could take place without someone screaming the words "conspiracy" or "plot", right? Well, let's scan the news report, yada yada yada, ohh, there we go:

Although Khartoum officials played down the case and said it was an
isolated incident, Sudan's top clerics said in a statement Wednesday
that the full measure of the law should be applied against Gibbons,
calling the incident part of a broader Western "plot" against Islam.

HA. TOLD YOU SO. Allright. Ok. On Familiar grounds once again.

The Sudanese clerics said this was blasphemy and believed it was intentional.

"What has happened was not haphazard or carried out of ignorance, but
rather a calculated action and another ring in the circles of plotting
against Islam," the Sudanese Assembly of the Ulemas said the statement.

"It is part of the campaign of the so-called war against terrorism and the intense media campaign against Islam," they said.

So, naming a Teddy Bear Mohamed in a classroom for 7 year old's is part of the war on terror? It's connected to the Media campaign against Islam? Really? Well, if it's a plot and it involved the media and Islam, then the Jooz must also be behind it. Those damn Joooz.

Seriously though, I think someone is suffering from a heatstroke over there!

Comments

1. Roman Kalik says:

Oh yes, a grand conspiracy to destroy Islam…

2. All these extremist clerics are actually Jewish agents charged with the task of making Islam look ridiculous. Soon nobody anywhere will be able to mention Islam and keep a straight face.

3. Uchuck the Tuchuck says:

“What has happened was not haphazard or carried out of ignorance, but
    rather a calculated action and another ring in the circles of plotting
    against Islam,” the Sudanese Assembly of the Ulemas said the statement.

Okay, so are they going to lash the seven-year-old who suggested naming the toy Muhammad? As I read the story, this lady asked the class “What do YOU want to name the teddy?” She didn’t say “Now we shall name this toy after the beloved Prophet in order to mock the name.”

“It is part of the campaign of the so-called war against terrorism and the intense media campaign against Islam,” they said.

Oh, no. No, it isn’t. You are doing quite well all on your own making Islam look like it’s run by a pack of rabid weasels.

4. well the great teddy bear conspiracy has taken the durfar and south sudan genocidees off the front page ( not that it was there to begin with)

will sudan ever enter the 12th century?

5. UCHUCK what do you have against weasels?

6. i originally saw this story mainly from the how-ridiculous-can-it-get angle, but as things progress it’s starting to really upset me. this poor woman!!!

i hope the brits grow a pair and find a way to get her out.

7. Why any foreigner wants to go do humanitarian work in some of these countries is beyond me.

8. Dammit, the first step in our plan for world domination has been foiled. Zionists, to Zimbabwe! There’s a rabbit naming we can still make if we move fast enough. Protocols on three. And . . . break!

9. Roman Kalik says:

Akiva! :-D

10. Damn…

What would you guys do to Mexicans…50% are named Jesus and some last names are del Dios?

Now if a Mexican named his teddy Jesus? Hmmm…potential drive-by?

11. John Ralston says:

Probably the best thing I’ve read on this so far is this article from Reuters: “Teddy Bear Arrested in Sudan”

It starts out: “Governments around the world have expressed outrage at yesterday’s arrest and imprisonment of a teddy bear in Khartoum, Sudan.”

Hilarious.

12. Thanks, Roman :)

And John, that whole thing is brilliant

13. Uchuck the Tuchuck says:

Yachanan, I have nothing against weasles per se…just the rabid ones.

14. ratedrsuperstar says:

I suggest maybe someone should start a business that sells teddy bears with shirts that say Mohammed. Perhaps if everyday people got rich from the stupidity of the fanatical islamic militants, it would make the koran thumping idiots face the depths of theirs foolishness. It worked for Salmon Rushdie didn’t it? Plus it would be a good way for people to make a stand against the pea brained ignorance that has infested much of the islamic world

15. I know many guys with the name of Muhammed who are much worse than a teddy bear I want their mothers lashed NOW. This is like the breast feeding fatwa as far as I’m concerned.

Stupid British Gov.

16. Roman and Don Cox,

I suggest that Bush lies to the American people and claim that Sudan has weapons of mass destruction. 600 thousand Sudanese will die, 4 thousand troops and we will liberate them and hang their president. Then we open business deals for Israelis to go in and make fortune.

This is a great zionist plan to help free muslims and the Sudanese people.

Twosret for 2008!

17. “Soon nobody anywhere will be able to mention Islam and keep a straight face.”

Well I have to disagree you mention zionism with such straight face my dear :)

18. Twosret:

…but you do see that this incident (and others like it) is making islam as a whole look mighty stupid, no?

I say get the lady out any way possible, and announce that any british citizen not out of the country within 14 days stays at his/her own peril. The same goes for a number of other countries, to be specified by more informed people than yours truly. :)

19. Uchuck the Tuchuck says:

Twosret wrote:

“This woman should leave Sudan immediately and the British Gov. should get her out . Those British Wimps should be able to help her,if they could invade India and Egypt they can get the woman out of there.”

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your political viewpoint) the Britain of 2007 is not the Britain of 1757 or 1882.

“Stupid British Gov.”

While I agree (I think) with the sentiment behind this final statement of your post here, wouldn’t it be more apt to observe “Stupid Sudanese Government”? Aren’t they the ones who have behaved stupidly?

20. Guys,

I totally agree that the Sudanese Gov. is way more than stupid in this case and like many Governments not just in the M.E. they behave in an outrageous manner but that doesn’t mean that the British Gov. is not stupid to leave it’s citizen behind and totally ignore that she is a British citizen and needs protection.

As for the comment of Adam about this incident or any other incident making Islam look bad…I disagree people were never representatives of their religion. Crusaders used religion to be their motive to kill and slaughter,so many religious leaders are hatred and have nothing to do with the religion.

Sorry guys boss is calling gotta go now and will check later.

21. The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the – Web Reconnaissance for 11/30/2007 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day…so check back often.

22. “I disagree people were never representatives of their religion”

Oh yes they were/are…!

A religion is seen (and judged) by how it’s practised by it’s followers.

Moderate majority or not, stories like this is everýday news from the muslim world and the muslim population in western countries (french riots, anyone?!), and the throngs of people chanting death to the lady who named a teddy bear Muhammed far outnumber the few like the monkey (and even yourself, though I usually disagree with your points) who speak out against such lunacy.

23. I’d rather see a teddy bear named after the Prophet Muhammed instead of all the man-whore, gambling addict, alcoholic guys I know named Muhammed. Now, THEY are an insult to the Prophet! :D

24. the trouble with acts as stupid as the Sudanese government’s is that they are extremely mediagenic, even though they are isolated.

The mass murder of tens of thousands Arabs in Iraq at the hands of American Christians or mass murder of Arabs in Lebanon at the hands of israeli Jews never translate into a condemnation of Christianity or Judaism, but the incredibly stupid act of jailing a poor English woman in Sudan or condemning another poor Muslim woman in Saudi Arabia, who was was gang-raped, become useful incidents to condemn 1.3 billion Muslims.

25. Uchuck the Tuchuck says:

Ali Wrote:

“The mass murder of tens of thousands Arabs in Iraq at the hands of American Christians or mass murder of Arabs in Lebanon at the hands of israeli Jews never translate into a condemnation of Christianity or Judaism”

The difference is that neither America nor Israel are theocratic states. The laws of these nations are not based on a specific religion’s theology (for example, there is no state sanction against blasphemy in America), nor are the decisions of their governments presented as fatwas with the backing of religious authority. Feel free to condemn America for her actions, but they are not the actions of Christianity; Christianity does not rule America. If you desire proof of this statement, find any website dealing with the Folsom Street Fair in San Francisco, or take a look at the number of successful ACLU lawsuits against the very mention of Christianity on public property

Ali Continued:

“but the incredibly stupid act of jailing a poor English woman in Sudan or condemning another poor Muslim woman in Saudi Arabia, who was was gang-raped, become useful incidents to condemn 1.3 billion Muslims.”

I have known but a few Muslims personally, and in the main I found them to be decent and honorable people. I am not condemning them or Islam as a whole for either of the incidents you have provided in your example. I do however condemn the governments and court systems of the Sudan and Saudi Arabia, and every Muslim who supports these acts of barbaric stupidity.

26. It is a fact that America’s rise as a super power begins in the twentieth century coinciding with the rise of the teddy bear. This teddy cult spread to England after the Second World War with The teddy boys’ subculture in London, England and rapidly spread across the UK; soon becoming strongly associated with American rock and roll music of the period and changing British culture to nothing more than a copy of American culture. Deviant rights campaigners around the world bond with each other as bears, a term chosen to disguise to the casual observer the true sordid intent of their lives. The Teddy Bear is a mnemonic device by which American culture infiltrates the sub conscious of other cultures. On the surface, the teddy bear appears to be cuddly and a rather inoffensive object but it is an idol to a fierce and very real and dangerous animal. The teddy bear cult manipulates an instinctive fear, which goes back to our primitive ancestors hiding out in the cave, the fear of the imminent attack of the wild bear. It says live for today for tomorrow you might die. Beware the teddy bear as you chase your idle materialistic dreams, in case it suffocates you whilst you sleep!

27. “Sorry, but this is the face of Islam today, even though you and your intellectual elite view your religion in a different light…”

Being Judgemental and generalizing is your problem really.

28. Uchuck the Tuchuck said

“The difference is that neither America nor Israel are theocratic states.”

And that makes mas murder of Muslims OK? DUH!!!

29. pls … just drop the A-bomb there man… pointless to speak to these people. just get rid of them… ALL OF THEM fukking weirdo Sudanese…. its pretty pointless having these CRUEL muslims in the world…

i’m gonna insult islam another time.. i’m gonna name my penis Muhammad!

Suck my muhammad!

30. Oh and in regards to the face of Islam comment, do you ever wonder how people think of Judaism? you must be fooled to think that the actions of some Zionist Jews doesn’t make some people like you from the other side thinking how terrible your religion must be.

I don’t think of Judaism anything but another religion but if I were you I would be careful not to throw stones when your house is made of glass.

Ali,

Only ignorants think this way, the fact that the majority who writes here are zionists with agendas doesn’t mean that the rest of the world think like them.

31. Uchuck the Tuchuck says:

Ali Says:
    December 1st, 2007 at 6:39 am
    Uchuck the Tuchuck said

“The difference is that neither America nor Israel are theocratic states.”

And that makes mas murder of Muslims OK? DUH!!!

Ali, why are you shouting at me? Please re-read the post from which you took the quoted sentence and tell me where it even remotely suggests an endorsement of the mass murder of anyone.

If you want to condemn the actions of the United States, feel free to do so. We have a number of citizens who do so every day, as is their right under law. Rail against the government. Damn the Bush administration. Rage against the moral values of American society. But don’t sit there and tell me that the United States is a Christian theocracy.

32. charlie 316 says:

#26 At first I thought looking at the time of your post that you were suffering from sleep dprivation, but I now see that you are correct and that teddy bears, being manipulated by the evil Theodore Roosevelt from beyond the grave are trying for world domination. For once the Jooz have been completely outflanked and are merely puppets of the insidious bear cult. Thank heavens my mother made me give my teddy bear to Oxfam, when I turned 21.

Once you have this recognition, it is clear that this poor deluded teacher in the Sudan, was manipulated by the teddy bear. So she is innocent and the bear should get the 40 lashes and be deported

However, all is not lost – grab every teddy bear from the grasp of your sobbing children, ignore their tears and toss the furry fiends onto a giant bonfire. Don’t let a single one escape! Its not too late to save the world and make it safe for the ever present Zionist conspiracy.

33. 28 & 31. Twosret:

Ah, that’s the old twosret again…

“This statement goes to show that I’m right in what I wrote. Where in my post did I say I’m MUSLIM. I wrote my point of view and you jumped to think I’m MUSLIM.”

This sentence makes absolutely no sense. I made a guess at your religion based on the hundreds of comments you’ve made on these pages in the past. If this is not the case, my comment is no less true – it just leaves you out of the equation as far as muslims go.

“Being Judgemental and generalizing is your problem really.”

This sentence makes no sense whatsoever in the general context. Where exactly does this apply to the above?

“Oh and in regards to the face of Islam comment, do you ever wonder how people think of Judaism? you must be fooled to think that the actions of some Zionist Jews doesn’t make some people like you from the other side thinking how terrible your religion must be.”

I’m not jewish. Keeping in mind your comment about me jumping to conclusions above, this sentence is spot on your own advice about not throwing stones…! :D

“the fact that the majority who writes here are zionists with agendas doesn’t mean that the rest of the world think like them.”

I smell a bit of conspiracy-theory, moonbat, paranoia here…!

To be honest, most people that write here are just ordinary people who are fed up.

34. Mass murder of Muslims? What? The only people mass murdering Muslims (and Jews and Christians and Buddhists and Hindus and…..) are Muslims.