Sexy vs. Smart

A leading Femenist sees a worrying trend in today's girls:

'The overwhelming lesson teenagers are now learning from the world
around them is that being "sexy" is the ultimate accolade, trumping
intelligence, character and all other accomplishments at every stage of
a woman's life,' said Liebau, a political analyst and the review's
first female managing editor. 'The new female imperative is that it is
only through promiscuity and sexual aggression that girls can achieve
admiration and recognition.' She cites films such as Cruel Intentions
and Mean Girls, the music and videos of Britney Spears, Christina
Aguilera and Lil' Kim, and advertisements such as the dominatrix-themed
campaign for the teenage fashion house bebe, featuring Mischa Barton.
'In a culture that celebrates Paris Hilton, thong underwear and songs
like "My Humps" – where the female singer expounds the sexual magnetism
of her breasts and buttocks – there's scant recognition or respect for
female modesty or achievement that isn't coupled with sex appeal,' she
adds.

What do they expect? It's the Sex and the City Generation. Hell, the smartest one on that show ended up with the shittiest life, while the sluttiest and sexiest one ended up with a really good looking younger lover/male model. What does that tell you if you are a young girl watching? In Today's culture, Intelligence is underrated, especially amongst women. I can't count the number of girls I know, really smart ones too, who seem to think that it's not necessary to read, or to sound intelligent, compared to like loosing those last  few pounds. And god knows the men aren't off the hook either. It's not like we encourage them to achieve their potential or anything. The Majority just want someone that's hot, stupid and eager to please in bed. So we end up with underachieving smart women, oversexed stupid men and a population that will get dumber by the minute. Maybe we are not that far off to the world of Idiocracy . We all seem to be heading that way anyway!

0 comment on Sexy vs. Smart

1. John Cunningham
    December 11, 2007 at 2:04 pm

When I started driving a taxi in ’75 in Philadelphia you knew when you were in the part of town where the prostitutes were by the way they dressed. If my taxi had doubled as a time machine and I set it to go to 2007, the first thing I would have said when I got here is, “wow, the prostitutes are everywhere”. They’re all running around with their distractors hanging out. I’m definitely not a prude and definitely not one that thinks that women should be in a berka, but, come on girls, could we move to somewhere closer to the middle? Public displays of femininity has devolved to the same level as the baggy pants crotch grabbers.

2. TeacherLady
    December 11, 2007 at 2:56 pm

I got turned down for a scholarship because I was female, but had an endless supply of sugar-daddy offers! Yay! I guess my IQ doesn’t have to exceed my bra size to get ahead in the world!
    Earlier I was literally writing a grad level college paper while eating chocolate. I know where my priorities lie.
    Yes, sadly, feminine power is always depicted through sexual prowess or dominance and not through intellect. I’ve tried for years to find a magazine directed towards intelligent women, but I’ve given up. I don’t do make-up, don’t give a shit about what kind of dog Paris Hilton has stuffed in her handbag, and don’t need article after article telling me I look great as I am with an advert for breast enhancement surgery on the next page.

3. EgyPeter
    December 11, 2007 at 3:57 pm

It’s got electrolytes!

4. JAS
    December 11, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Both men and women compete for attention from the opposite sex. But in the end where they go to meet a mate is telling. Some examples:

1) The local bar
    2) A church group meeting
    3) The local university library

5. anna
    December 11, 2007 at 6:10 pm

was wondering, are there any israelis who read this blog?

6. Roman Kalik
    December 11, 2007 at 8:23 pm

So true. Current popular culture focuses so heavily on sex that it starts to become disgusting through sheer overexposure.

@Anna, I’ve seen plenty of Israelis reply on this blog. I myself am one.

7. bluestone
    December 11, 2007 at 8:36 pm

so you call me a liar … !!! thanx ya Sandmonkey ….
    but let me tell you the truth I discovered during my work as a journalist …
    I did my homework ,, and made some investigations …
    I went there already and all what I did is TRUE.. and all what you said was TRUE too ..
    The true liars are the owners of the place .. the truth is that the place was really banned for christians and non-veiled muslims girls and of course men.
    I went there last week and I met Nagwa the manager and she assured me those were lies and took me for a tour in the place and I met one christian girl and couple of non-veiled girls that I spoke with. the place was a beauty salon with couple of waiting tables where coffee is served. Music and songs were played all around and I was invited for a free hair making which I nicely apologised.

To that part each word of what I said is perfectly true.
    So I was obliged to tell people what I hav seen there.

Yet, I discovered the place was really as you mentioned and christian girls and non-veiled were not allowed and a huge fight took place with a journalist three weeks ago .. and the owners were summoned to the nation security services ..(amn el dawla) .. Changes had to be made since then . But the add was really strange so I had to do more and this is what I found out…

Thanx for calling me a liar …..
    but I told the truth as I saw it with my own eyes
    PS: I am christian by the way … if this got to do anything with it.

hav a nice day

8. AF
    December 11, 2007 at 9:51 pm

mmmmm….Mischa Baaaarton

9. anna
    December 12, 2007 at 9:29 am

bluestone,

did amn el dawla get involved because of the fight or because of their rules? Did they get a complimentary pedicure?

10. yochanan
    December 12, 2007 at 12:06 pm

THE VAILS AND BURKAS TELL ME EVERYTHING I NEED TO KNOW

in canada a 16 year old girl was murdered by her father for not covering her hair THE RELIGION OF PEACE HAHAHAHAH

11. nomad
    December 12, 2007 at 12:59 pm

Teacher lady, yeah, that’s the kind of experience a woman has in the society of appearences and pics ; even the politic business is working with the same matters ; your lucky if your tall enough to fit the standards though ;

seems now that the men are becoming dependant on their look too ; not saying their sex-appeal as a cute face is in the front page, but that their testosteron power image leads the kind of representation ;

I am not sure it’s new in our civilisation ; we have been experimentating such dictats sometimes ago in the middle-age, and post Revolution by us ;

the difficulty is to cope with our envies or our goals

12. Chellebelle
    December 12, 2007 at 6:44 pm

What rock does this woman live under? I will forgive you Sandmonkey, not being a woman or a woman in the West, I will forgive you for not understanding this is something women have always struggled with.

Tell me when intelligent women have ever been valued? The old sayings “guys dont make passes at girls who wear glasses” came from somewhere. Or what about the famous scenes in old movies where the boss has the competent & professional secretary (back then thats all she could be) remove her glasses and take down her bun to discovery a bombshell whose sexuality is unleashed by his attention.

As a teen in the 80′s I had girlfriends tell the reason I didnt get more dates is I acted too smart around boys. They also adviced me to wear more mini-skirts (again this was the 80′s)

My boyfriend in COLLEGE, once lamented I wasnt more like his best friends girlfriend who always looked cute and didnt have an opinion on everything. Or my ex-husband who thought I should just say I agreed with him, even if I didnt, just too make him feel good.

After a long drought I recently entered the dating world again. I went out with a guy but we agreed there was no spark and decided to just to be friends. He recently offered me some advice on how to attract more men. Get this – Dont act so smart and show off those big tits more.

Yeah the Brittney’s the Paris, the Lil Kims put out a disturbing view of what a female and female sexuality should be but thats too is nothing new. There was IT Girl Clara Bo in the 20′s , Mae West & Jean Harlow of the 30′s. Marilyn Monroe of the 50′s and so on and so on. I question how much of an impact these images are really having on women. There is quite a concern in the USA that women now outnumber men in post secondary education in the USA. Teen pregnancy is down in the USA. Do these fact support this article? I dont think so.

13. thewiz
    December 13, 2007 at 3:08 am

Hmmmn add the movie “Pretty Woman” with Julia Roberts. Taught girls that its ok to be hooker as long as your a smart hooker. Eventually, you get lucky and marry a handsome billionare industrialist.

Then there is the illustrious Prez that said blow jobs aren’t sex and its ok to give your married boss a couple.

And people wonder why the extremely religious and conservative Muslims of the world hate the US and its influence on their own impressionable youth.

14. yochanan
    December 13, 2007 at 12:59 pm

THEWIZ

i am neither a islamist or christian fundi AND I DON’T LIKE THE DRECK CULTURE I SEE AROUND ME but head chopping or murdering your daughter because she doesn’t want to cover her hair is worse than a spare b.j.

15. JAS
    December 13, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Pretty Woman?

A business without customers goes bankrupt. Pimps and men are why prostitution is one of the oldest professions.

Barefoot and continuously pregnant…my lifelong goal.

16. Goldwater
    December 15, 2007 at 12:30 am

It’s a shame our culture focuses so heavily on this aspect. It’s sad to see the Paris, Britney’s and Lindsay’s who have to one up each other by flashing their crotches at the press to get attention. Sure it seems like a good idea to them now, but once they reach their 30s they’re in for a shock. They won’t be able to land any serious roles in film or television or even be able to write a column in a newspaper because no one will respect their opinions.

17. JFP
    December 15, 2007 at 5:07 am

So, which decade is more responsible for this phenomenon, the 50s or the 60s? That’s easy. It was the 60s. Whatever flaws the 50s had, encouraging every woman to dress like a prostitute wasn’t one of them. The 60s, on the other hand, wanted people to rebel, to do things that were over the top. Sooner or later, it was going to come to this, to every girl’s being encouraged to dress in a sleazy way. I know the 60s lovers won’t like it, but they cannot see the matter objectively.

18. bluestone
    December 15, 2007 at 11:11 am

THEY got involved after the whole issue got so smelly …
    The pedicure part .. i hav to ask about it ,,, I was offered one when I was there but I just didn’t like the idea of the woman in charge messing with hands and feet with a knife-looking-tools specially with my announced status as a journalist and the silver cross I was wearing :))

19. anna
    December 15, 2007 at 3:53 pm

got any tips for visitors, roman?

looks like you’re the only one to ask

20. Roman Kalik
    December 15, 2007 at 6:23 pm

@Anna, depends on what parts of the country you plan to visit. Eilat’s worthless during the winter, so avoid that. Tel-Aviv is a good central location, and it’s easy to get to other parts of the country by bus or train… But it’s full of tourist traps and expensive hotels, so be sure to look through room prices for a while before taking your pick, and avoid most cafes and resteraunts that are anywhere near a hotel.

Jerusalem’s great, obviousy, and you can spend days in the Old City without even scratching the surface of the place. You can find good hostels there, if memory serves.

Be advised that there are security guards everywhere. Central bus stations, malls, large shops and banks, train stations… It may take a while to get used to. You’ll have to present every bag you have for a quick look-over at every such security stop (everyone has to), and metal detectors aren’t uncommon.

21. anonymous
    December 16, 2007 at 5:08 am

Anna..tons of Israelis and Jews read this…you can tell from the slant of their comments…look at Yochanan..definitely Jewish and absolutely antiMuslim…of course there are no freaks and weirdos in other religions…rigggggght…
    i believe the zealots were originally a Jewish cult…do the research

Give me a f**cking break! It’s veils not VAILS…spell check puleeze…

Yes the pakistani man who killed his daughter was a freak…guess what people…lots of religious freaks out there…christians, jews, hindus, muslims…and lots of stupid loser parents killing their kids for all kinds of stupid reasons…and using whatever excuse, be it religious or otherwise..so wake the f*ck up!

22. John Cunningham
    December 16, 2007 at 11:35 am

With some it’s the exception, not the rule, with others it’s the rule, not the exception.

23. anna
    December 16, 2007 at 11:44 am

are you or anyone on here able to give anymore specific info. i kinda prefer insider info. than a guidebook for this place

24. Roman Kalik
    December 16, 2007 at 3:20 pm

Insider info? Um, I don’t know what would *count* as insider info, really. Maybe you should talk to people who go to all the Tel Aviv parties, or something like that. Afraid I’m not the person to ask about that.

25. Roman Kalik
    December 16, 2007 at 3:25 pm

I mean, the only thing I can think of right now is that there’s hardly a major street without a falafel or schawarma stand/restaurant…

26. anna
    December 16, 2007 at 4:11 pm

lol roman, yeah kinda guessed that one. No I need more mundane info. like is it currently ok to get buses without fear of the obvious; decent eateries with proper juju fare. what’s there to do on shabbat blah blah…. but hey tel aviv parties…i am intrigued..

anyusefulinfo@gmail.com for um any useful info would be gratefully received

27. Roman Kalik
    December 16, 2007 at 5:36 pm

Buses, resteraunts, and shopping malls are currently safe to use/enter. There’s plenty of good food around, and I’m certain that Japanese food (I assume that’s what you meant by ‘juju’) is available in Tel-Aviv at the very least. There’s no official public transportation on Shabbat, but you could get a service taxi (or even a private taxi, should you find it affordable), though a lot is closed until the evening. In fact, you’ll see shops closing down late Friday, though you’ll find more than enough resteraunts, shops etc. that stay open on Shabbat, should that take your fancy.

If you have questions, best email me at romankalik AT gmail DOT com. As I said, I’m not good at thinking of what would count as “insider” stuff (it’s because I probably view it as too mundane and everyday), but specific questions seem to help. ;-)

28. nawara
    December 17, 2007 at 7:58 am

hahahahahhahahhaaaa

that is funny….

u know the real problem lies in men’s minds…..they think they r the most important achievement for a woman while really they r just a tool

STUPID