Your Prayers needed

For a very dear friend of mine, who just relapsed into Heroin addiction. She was off of it for more than a year and a half, and just recently relapsed very badly. She will need all the emotional support she can get, so please, give her the best you could.

Comments

1. ratedrsuperstar says:

Sandy:
    Best wishes for your friend. I know how dangerous heroin addiction can be. Does Egypt have viable drug rehab centers that she could consider? Its a disease that is hard to fight alone—so don’t give up on her. Good luck

2. la7wla wala qowwata ellah bellah… en sha2 allah she will get over this :/

3. John Cunningham says:

You have to work at becoming “addicted”. It’s not a case of one shot and you’re “hooked”.

4. Roman Kalik says:

Isis has my prayers, man. I rarely read her blog, but there are very few people in this world to whom I’d wish to be slaves to the drug. Isis isn’t one of them, far from it, and what I *do* wish her is to get over this episode in her life. If she managed to go off it once, then I am certain that she can manage to do it again.

5. I don’t think prayers change anything, but i hope she gets better.

6. As a casual reader, I’m very very impressed that you would drop your usual distant cynicism for a genuine plea. To me, that is a very respectable trait. I can’t say that I’ll be in prayer for her, but I prayed for your friend. In Jesus’ name.

7. Adrian from DK says:

One feels very helpless when seing a friend going down, and there is so little one can do :-/

I hope she find her strength to come out of it again, and that she is willing to receive the support from her friends, which is perhaps the most important and difficult part.

8. The Lord bless you, and keep you. The Lord be gracious to you, and let His face shine upon you.

It wasn’t until real disaster struck that I began to understand that my religion is not for children: it is for adults who are in trouble. When I hit real trouble, I commended my soul into God’s hands, and faced what came next. That is what I was taught to do as a child. It worked. I am sure there is something for you, in your own tradition. Use it.

As for the heroin, that sh$t came from somewhere, and from someone familiar. Darling, it is time to get rid of some of the things that were in your life. Don’t go there anymore, and don’t look back. Discard the negative influences on your life. Look forward. Look to the future. Look at the good things you find every day. Try to be aware of the beauty He has put into the everyday world, the sunrise, the sunset, the wonderful stuff of creation. Adhere only to the good things in life, and do what you need to do, one item at a time.

You may find yourself in some strange places, you may find yourself turning away from certain teachers, you may find yourself leaving what you thought were the traditions of your childhood, but if you look to the future and cling to what is good, you will one day find yourself back home again.

9. I lost a brother to heroin addiction. One of the hardest thing is life is knowing all you can do for an addict is pray for them.

I’ll say a prayer for your friend and one for you to give you strength.

10. You should contact Moez Massoud. This guy had a few friends die of drug overdoses and he seems to have his life on track. Maybe he can help your friend.

11. Sorry buddy, but I’m an atheist sp no prayers from me…

I will, however join in and send my best hopes and wishes to you and your friend – let’s hope she beats it!!!

I myself have a friend who’s stuck in a massive abuse of alcohol – he’s spending this christmas and new years eve at a rehabilitation center after he jumped off the wagon for the… what, 5th time this year? … a few weeks ago. Sadly, it doesn’t seem like he’s prepared to put the stuff on the shelf for good yet, despite the doctors telling him that his abuse have resulted in him having almost no fat reserves between his brain and his skull. A drinking bout or two more might result in irreversible braindamage! And still the guy cracks up and start drinking again…!!! Mindbogling… :(

Anyway, best of wishes to your friend!

12. :(

Allahuma ishfeeha wa khafif min alamiha

13. Isis-

For some reason I cannot post to her site anymore…my lack of blogology. Hopefully she will get this or pass it along SM.

Isis…slips are the norm rather than the exception…in any addictive behavior. There is a silly old American song “pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again”.

I have followed your blog for over a year. I remember many things about your personality…brilliant, dark, disturbed, and trying to be genuine.

There is something about you I tend of admire. Funny, a young woman who used to work for me is doing a doctorial thesis on the phenomena of shared emotion and friendship in “chat” settings (i.e. between people who never met).

With that said…you know…get up and go again…nothing new about what you did…really part of the healing process. Ex-addicts but all this mythical importance on “days sober”…Important but 18 months and a whoops is still vitally important to your health and well-beings.

Screw..learn from it…go forward.

14. John Cunningham says:

Howie, big part of it. They’re told that a one day bender means they’re hopelessly addicted. Gotta’ do a rehab, again. I certainly understand that for some it’s a real wrestling match. If one insists on getting high then putting things in balance is a way to go. Due it according to your budget. Maybe friends could emphasis balance instead of total abstainence. People don’t get high because they want to feel bad, they do it because they want to feel good which begs the question, what is it with you that you need to get high to feel good? I think a lot of people have a low tolerance for the hangover. Part of the deal, get high today, you’re going to feel like shit tomorrow. Get over it.

15. brooklynjon says:

I’m not much of a pray-out-loud guy, but I silently meditated on her.
    One has to wonder why G-d put narcotics on earth.
    I guess it’s basically the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in Eden.
    It sucks.

16. Brooklyjon-

The “why did G-d” questions open a whole other discussion and I could give you a list like;

Huntington’s Corea
    Parkingson’s Disease
    kudzu
    hemorroids
    poison oak
    excessive ear and nose hair
    Poison plants that people mistake for good ones

Drugs are at least a personal choice…but that other stuff…those ain’t lifestyle problems (well…maybe some hemmoroids cases).

Isis made a very concious decision and she has to pay the price and she knows it. And people that were evil enough to negatively influence her made their decision…but the stuff I speak about comes from G-d.

17. brooklynjon says:

Howie,

My point is merely to question why it is necessary to have things which are both so bad and so tempting. In my tradition, we are told not to put a stumbling block before the blind, yet here is G-d doing just that.

I don’t know what your experiences have been, but I suspect Isis’s decision was somewhat less conscious than you think it was.

18. Jon=

We come from the same tradition and actually…you probably misread what I wrote because we are in agreement on this one.

But actually, I have worked in the addictions field since the 1970′s. Addiction is a complex subject and, like global warming, you have facts and the interpretation of the facts and on and on and on.

In terms of relapse…it is the rule not the exception when people are trying to be get and stay clean. However, I strongly believe that use is ultimately a free will decision.

Now…if you want to get on the subject of HOW free we all are…well that will be a very long debate.

I see free will on a spectrum…not an either or thing. Take an simple case…diet and exercise. For some folks, they can relatively control themselves in these areas…for others, it is all but impossible. And that is an easy case.

And addiction is difficult, but easier than when free will becomes affected by; cognitive impairment, medication reaction, disease influence, head trauma or how about something like Odai Hussien, Saddam’s bouncing baby boy. What freak’in chance did HE have being a good person? Pop used to make him shoot people from the time he was a kid and torture folks. What snowball’s chance in hell did that warped SOB ever have?

Live is complex

19. brooklynjon says:

howie,

yes, life is complex.

Facts can be maddeningly situational.

I haven’t wasted too much brainpower on the Sons of Saddam, but I view it from a public health perspective: death is the ultimate quarantine.

And don’t get me started on “global warming”!

bj

20. well I will pray for the GOD of all living things …may she be in a better place