Outsourcing Pregnancies to India

This story made my skin crawl. And don't tell me this was inevtiable. I have no problem with Surrogacy as a concept, but what they are doing is just fucked up!

0 comment on Outsourcing Pregnancies to India

1. Suzanne
    December 31, 2007 at 1:38 pm

I wouldn’t call it fucked up. I think the last quote of the last quoted woman says enough:
    “I know this isn’t mine,” said Jagrudi Sharma, 34, pointing to her belly. “But I’m giving happiness to another couple. And it’s great for me.”

It’s a beautiful way to help if you want that and if you can do that.

The only possible problem I’d think of is that women do it for the money in order to survive and will get into emotional problems afterwards.

2. brooklynjon
    December 31, 2007 at 2:34 pm

I think it’s a win-win. People undertake risk for reward all the time. In places where there is crushing poverty, an infusion of cash can make a tremendous difference in people’s lives. If a woman takes on a risk for herself but can use the money to house, feed, and educate her own family, this is not different from, say, a construction worker or truck driver who takes on some risk for the same reason. So long as it’s consensual, there is no exploitation.

3. Xylo
    December 31, 2007 at 3:25 pm

There’s a trade in India in selling your body organs. It’s consensual as well, and maybe win-win – but it’s pretty disturbing in my opinion..

I don’t get the whole surrogacy concept. With so many kids in ther world needing good homes, why go through all this?

4. rositta
    December 31, 2007 at 3:33 pm

It sucks and you know what, it was inevitable…ciao

5. Nomad
    December 31, 2007 at 6:08 pm

I am with BJ on that one, if every parties are happy, it does’nt disturb me, so lond it is not managed by mafias

6. Nomad
    December 31, 2007 at 6:09 pm

so long, ment

7. anonymous
    December 31, 2007 at 10:03 pm

true adoption would make better sense but it’s extremely expensive and a difficult time-consuming process..

besides most of us are narcissitic enough to want like replicas..mini-mees so 2 speak

hey monkey boy…surprised u would pick this story which is old news here in the grand US of A and not focus on a story closer 2 home like that of the Egyptian woman forced to strip in front of the alleged police officer…video is on youtube and everything and i’m sure u’ve watched it already…hmmm…

u aren’t running scared of a little controvery r ya?

8. Joanne
    January 1, 2008 at 3:33 am

The Indian women make $5000 a pregnancy – it can change their lives. Women want a baby, Indian women can provide a womb – win/win. It isn’t like anyone dies here…..like with an abortion.

9. leo
    January 1, 2008 at 7:31 pm

SM: “I have no problem with Surrogacy as a concept, but what they are doing is just fucked up”

I find this statement confusing.

What kind of Surrogacy you do not have problem with? Donor sperm? Donor egg? What is wrong with donor gestation/pregnancy?

10. Einherjar
    January 1, 2008 at 10:40 pm

I’m with brooklynjon as well, there is nothing wrong with this.

11. Noliving
    January 2, 2008 at 12:58 am

Hey sandmonkey this may explain why there is so many kids being born every day in eygpt. wink wink.

12. dedicated staff
    January 2, 2008 at 2:38 am

Outsourcing pregnancies (to India) will have no hard time gettings its way. I have seen parts of India and have witnessed countless unemployed trying to make a living along railways and roadsides. Mumbai, in particular, is always jampacked. The list of job-seekers is endless. The competition for a job slot is tough.. I dont think it will be hard for an Indian woman to offer her womb for rent. Afterall, that will save her and her entire family much trouble in finances.

13. Dr. Guy
    January 2, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Ahh, the lengths we will go to for evil spawn…

14. Peter
    January 3, 2008 at 11:08 am

Cannibalism is the act or practice of humans consuming other humans. Outsourcing pregnancies and buying body organs can be seen as a modern form of cannibalism. You consume (part of) other humans in order to secure your own existence.
    Cannibalism used to be taboo. But that might change of course.

15. Chellebelle
    January 4, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Really this is not all that new. When Sarah couldnt give Abraham a son, she sent him to her Hagar. Before the creation of formula to feed babies, wet nurses were used to relieve rich women from the burden of breastfeeding.

It is troublesom, but hardly new.

16. saint
    January 6, 2008 at 8:52 am

False analogy Chellebelle. Hagar’s son remained Hagar’s son. Wet nursing did not make the child the wetnurse’s son. I don’t know how Sandmonkey can think surrogacy is Ok but outsourcing pregnancy is indeed seriously fucked up. It’s one and the same.

Women should be disgusted at others using them this way or putting women in a position where this is a way they make a living. Modern form of cannabalism and another form of prostitution.

17. brooklynjon
    January 7, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Saint,

Is receiving a transplanted kidney Cannibalism?
    Is donating one prostitution?

18. Iman Hosni
    January 9, 2008 at 4:48 pm

I dont see why is this a problem to anyone.
    These people offer a service, and it is up to you whether to adopt it or not.
    They arent harming you by any means, you should let them do whatever they want + you dont know how much parents suffer not having a complete family/children, At some point, they would do or pay anything for that baby.
    People dont just do that because of useless reasons, im sure if you hear their stories, that would at least convince you.

19. Karen Cayamanda
    November 13, 2009 at 2:57 am

I believe the ministry of Women and Child Development is still examining the said issue in India so that they can create a law regarding this.

20. SheaOutsourcing
    April 28, 2011 at 1:44 am

There is a medical ground for outsourcing surrogacy. Infertility is prevalent and outsourcing child birth is sometimes the only solution for some couple. it must be heavily regulated though.

21. Tyrone Shum
    June 10, 2011 at 8:38 am

I don’t think outsourcing should be utilized this way but I think yeah, this has been happening over several portions of the world due to infertility. If ever they’ll do this, good agreement and communication should be implemented.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Outsourcing Pregnancies to India