US troops in Egypt

First they said that the US would send equipment, but wouldn't have any troops there. Now there is a report of Iowa National Guard soldiers being deployed in Egypt for a Year. And they are not part of the MFO either. Actually:

The battalion is being activated under
several missions, including the war on terrorism and Operation Iraqi
Freedom. The soldiers will provide command to three companies that
remove explosives and offer logistical, medical and aviation support to
troops in the region.

So, either someone is not telling the truth, or we are officially now part of the Iraq War.

0 comment on US troops in Egypt

1. Craig
    January 13, 2008 at 3:48 pm

“Iowa National Guard soldiers being deployed in Egypt for a Year”

Somebody is not telling the truth :)

You may not know this, but “National Guard” is US Army reserve. In America, reserve units cannot be activated for a period as long as a year except in a state of emergency (like a war).

Which explains the other part:

war on terrorism and Operation Iraqi Freedom

The WoT and OIF were invoked as authority for the federal government to activate a reserve unit for such a long period of time. If it was an active duty unit being deployed, it wouldn’t have been necessary to pull that kind of stunt.

95 soldiers from, with the following specialties:

Officials say soldiers will also be deployed from the following units: 209th Area Support Medical Company based in Iowa City; 294th Area Support Medical Company based in Johnston; 134th Medical Company based in Washington; 67th Troop Command based in Iowa City; 135th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment based in Johnston; the 2133rd Transportation Company based in Centerville; and the Joint Forces Headquarters based in Johnston.

Sounds like they want to set up a field hospital in the Sinai, SM. The “public affairs” detachment is interesting as well. My guess is they are either planning on evacuating American combat wounded to Egypt, or they are planning some kind of humanitarian outreach program. Neither would surprise me normally, but both surprise me a great deal considering the US has no “status of forces” agreement with Egypt.

2. SamSeven
    January 13, 2008 at 9:30 pm

@ Craig-

“Neither would surprise me normally, but both surprise me a great deal considering the US has no “status of forces” agreement with Egypt.”

There are 20, 000 troops already in Egypt, what are you talking about, although I agree that your theories could turn into factual occurences, I mean who knows whats up?

3. anonymous
    January 13, 2008 at 11:52 pm

A field hospital? I highly doubt that.They could send them to Israel which has state of art health care.

I think that if they will deploy the National Guard it’s just a means of implementing an American presence in yet another Arab country.

Heavens knows that Egypt has enough men in a multitude of uniforms to defend and patrol it’s Gaza border. It just can’t get the Israelis to agree to allow an increase the # allotted for this task due to the treaty.

4. Roman Kalik
    January 14, 2008 at 5:22 am

Anonymous,

I doubt that Israel would approve of its public hospitals being used by so many foreigners, regardless of how friendly they are. I don’t see why our hospitals need to be overloaded (it’s enough that we have to treat Palestinians as it is).

As for Gaza, let’s discuss increasing the upper limit (which already happened once recently) of Egyptian troops in Sinai when said limit is actually reached, eh? Mubarak talked quite a lot about increasing the amount of people, but funny thing is… It ain’t happening. And while Egyptian soldiers have no problem with shooting at unarmed Sudanese refugees, they rarely do that with Palestinian smugglers. After all, smugglers have money. Egypt has lots of low-class soldiers, it would seem, and few soldiers with actual professionalism get stationed at the border.

5. anonymous
    January 14, 2008 at 11:00 am

Israel has the low class soldiers my dear Kalik-cutta.

6. anna
    January 14, 2008 at 11:09 am

I don’t like this but like Samseven, I thought we already had US troops in Egypt anyway. I agree with Adib who once said, give the US back their money so we don’t have to do their bidding- we don’t need it.

“(it’s enough that we have to treat Palestinians as it is).”- that’s so heartless. I can’t believe you think like that. And the israeli army is professional?? It has a horrid track record of killing unarmed civilians, including women and children.

7. Roman Kalik
    January 14, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Israel has the low class soldiers my dear Kalik-cutta.

Quite. Your soldiers deliberately shoot unarmed civilians, don’t have to even worry about investigations, and the average smuggler can buy them for a penny.

Heartless? Both Jordan and Egypt pointedly refuse Palestinians any chance of medical treatment, work, trade, and have since 1948, and *we’re* heartless?

Palestinians have been getting enough financial aid to give each Palestinian his own villa, and *I’m* heartless? Perhaps the people who should be building decent hospitals in the Palestinian Authority are heartless, but I’d wager that they have their Swiss bank accounts and private jets (Suha Arafat doesn’t seem to have a problem with treating the formerly presidential private jet of the PA as private property).

We fund these hospitals of ours in Israel, Anna, with our own taxes, our own blood and sweat and tears. The more people from the outside come in (be they Palestinians or foreign soldiers), the more time Israeli civilians have to wait for *their* medical services. And Anna, sometimes waiting for a long time or not getting funding for just the right medicine means that you end up dying because you simply can’t afford private care, while the public sector is overloaded.

I won’t refuse Palestinians their chance for decent medical treatment in Israel, but I won’t pretend that helping them is not at the expense of our own citizens either. I may be proud of the fact that in this country, such extremes as doctors doing their best to save the life of a failed suicide bombers just as they’d do their best to save the lives of his victims are reality, but it doesn’t mean that I have to accept such extremes, or even the more basic reality of badly injured from the Palestinian Authority coming here as a rule.

There’s a major difference between bombing a house and openly and deliberately shooting at unarmed people trying to escape, while realizing all the time that said civilians are quite unarmed and posing no threat whatsoever. There was no major firefight at our shared borders, no armed terrorists living and operating among civilians, just refugees who were fed up with eating scraps in Egypt. This did not prevent your soldiers from operating in a manner that would put rabid animals to shame.

Around here, when a soldier openly and deliberately commits a crime (be theft, putting civilians at unnecessary risk, or quite plainly opening fire at an unarmed civilian posing no risk) his actions get investigated, and military prison is just around the corner.

You want to argue about valid military procedure in urban civilian areas? Go ahead, there is indeed quite a lot to argue about there. But let’s not pretend that a group of Israeli soldiers can mow down a group of refugees, beat the last survivor to death, and get away with it, all while someone just across the border is recording it all on tape.

Horrid track record? Let’s compare the reality in the Palestinian Authority to any other state of urban warfare that ever happened in the world before, and see what we get. I think you’ll find that the situation isn’t as bad as you think.

8. anna
    January 15, 2008 at 12:49 am

What? this is ridiculous. Now you’re blaming Egypt? We’ve taken in thousands of palestinain refugees when you came and kicked them out of their homes. Darn gentiles should be taking care of their own. YOU should be taking care of them, you are the same people for crying out loud. PAlestinains and jews are descendant from the same ancestral family, you’re brothers- literally. So yes you have a great big wacking responsibility and instead you berate Egypt for not providing for them. Crazy! What does Egypt have to do with this? We did not create the palestinain refugee situation. This is like Egypt invading Sudan because it once belonged to Egypt under Pharaoh and then blaming some random country like Libya for not taking care of the refugee situation, we have created.

Okay, Roman, I got you. You’re a member of the Israel does no wrong club. The everything is justified in the realm of protecting the jewish state. You’re blind to your own country’s faults. IF ISrael commits any war crimes then hey it’s okay because everyone else messes up but Egypt has an incident then our soldiers behave like animals. Oh mighty Eretz Yisrael does loads of crap, but I have the decency to not go around Israeli blogs and constatnly berate and malign the country to which the host of the blog belongs. Kindly take your arrogant supremacist views elsewhere.

9. brooklynjon
    January 15, 2008 at 5:30 am

Anna,

We’re not the same people. We’re quite different, actually. Which folks like to point out all the time – y’know we’re colonial occupiers, crusaders, outsiders. We belong in Europe. Or Montana. Or Uganda or something.

If you have some evidence for Jews and Palestinians being substantially similar – like DNA analyses or something – I’d love to see it. But to the best of my knowledge, it doesn’t exist.

Of course Israel is not perfect. However, the fact remains that if the Palestinians used some of their foreign aid largesse to develop their own civil institutions, then they wouldn’t be reliant on Israeli services. Israelis are not necessarily angels, but what’s up with Suha’s billions?

10. Roman Kalik
    January 15, 2008 at 9:21 am

Anna, we and the Palestinians are two very separate groups, be it in national, cultural, ethnic, religious, or just about any other criteria. We’re both Semitic people, but then again so is Jordan, Lebanon, and so on. At most, we share the fact that we are human, and that we have big noses. Brothers we’re not, though neighbors we may certainly be.

As for us creating the refugee problem… I seem to recall a certain Hajj Amin al-Husayni, who came along with a great big Arab Liberation Army behind him. Massacres and cleansings were often proclaimed in great detail. The Yishuv wasn’t all rosy and bright, and the Irgun certainly took the “eye for an eye” philosophy in its actions to great extremes, but the real blame it held was that of its existence, which the emerging post-colonial Arab states did not accept. I can’t help but wonder how we’d be like had that war did not take place – maybe we wouldn’t be so immersed in pointless conflicts.

As for Israel, Israel *does* wrong. As BJ said we’re not angels – but we’re not devils either. And I’m tired of our country being accused of everything – including Egypt’s inability to pay its troops, station said troops where needed, and weed out criminals and bribe-takers (unlike what Anonymous back there may have thought, we’re very much interested in a secure border, but the average Egyptian hardly has an interest in “defending Israel”, does he?). Nor should we forever remain responsible for the Palestinians’ well-being – they most certainly had the funds for creating their own infrastructure, yet said funds alternated from funding explosives to funding Suha’s summer retreat.

11. Roman Kalik
    January 15, 2008 at 9:27 am

*re: blame of its existence. I was referring to the Yishuv (Jewish national organization, later to become the foundation of the state) rather than the Irgun. I should write more clearly.

12. Mohamed
    January 15, 2008 at 10:22 am

Roman,
    I envy you for having such nerves to talk like that about Egyptian soldiers, while the Israeli soldiers have the worst track (except for Congolese soldiers maybe) record in the world of deliberatly targeting civilians and children (please find the ratio of civilians to non civilians killed, then within this ratio find the ratio of children under twelve among them) to kill and insult and humilate in the most racist manner on a daily basis, but again, this blog’s target readers are mainly neocons,facists, hillbillies and mental patients, so you can say whatever you want with no one fact checking or pausing to critically think about whatever racist ranting you might come up with.

13. anna
    January 15, 2008 at 1:15 pm

bj,

History says you’re realted BJ. You share the same ancestral father (Abraham), albeit different mothers- making you half brothers. It’s historical fact but if you don’t believe that then there’s some science to further support this:

“The study, published in the May 9 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that Jewish men shared a set of common genetic signatures with non-Jews from the Middle East, including Palestinians, Syrians, and Lebanese, and these signatures diverged significantly from those of non-Jewish men outside of this region.”

Conclusion, a special quote by an academic at an ivory tower with a couple of initials beside his name, coz you know that’s what really makes something true.

“Jews and Arabs are all really children of the House of Abraham,” says Harry Ostrer, M.D., Director of the Human Genetics Program at New York University School of Medicine, an author of the new study by an international team of researchers in the United States and Israel”

Go here for the rest of the article: http://uanews.org/node/3082

14. brooklynjon
    January 15, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Anna,

Thank you. I’ll read it. I don’t doubt that Jews and Arabs in general are related, I just doubt any special relationship with the Palestinians.

In fact, on these pages, I often argue with absolutists who insist that Jews had nothing to do with the Middle East until the Zionist movement began in the 1800s, which (as you know) is pure rubbish.

As for “historical fact”, I am not convinced you can read the Bible literally as a history book. I think broad themes are likely true, but not down to details of who derived from whom. Many scholars have pointed out that the archaeological evidence for quite a bit that’s in the Bible is rather skimpy (so far). And some of the stories are quite obviously untrue.

15. brooklynjon
    January 15, 2008 at 3:38 pm

but, in any event, if Jews are related to Palestinians (and have a responsibility for their well-being since we are 200th cousins or something, then surely Arabs, who are more closely related, bear a greater responsibility for their well being, no?

16. anna
    January 16, 2008 at 12:54 pm

well bj, I find this all very ironic. Jews identify each other by their common genetic ancestry, there are lots of non religious jews but they are still regarded as jews and they still class themselves as jews. To do aliyah, to the best of my knowledge, again all you need to do is to prove that you are ethnically jewish by presenting your parent’s marriage certificate. Therefore, one would conclude that you esteem genetic makeup to be quite the thing. Yet when it comes to palestinians, who are genetically related to you, that camaraderie is instantly replaced by animosity and in this case you even deny that you are related to them.

17. Roman Kalik
    January 16, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Anna, genetic makeup is quite irrelevant to us. Culture, religion, and national aspirations are what is deemed as important in defining Israeli Jews. A convert to Judaism becomes part of the Jewish *people*, regardless of ancestry. Anyone whose mother is Jewish, is also Jewish (regardless of whether or not said mother is religious or not). The state further expanded the definition on who deserves an automatic citizenship based on the Nazi definition of a Jew.

Never assume that we base our identity on race. We may share some similarities, but we’re an incredibly diverse bunch. The definition of a Jew based on parentage is little different from citizenship rights, in that the child belongs to the same national group as the parents do. For Jews though, it’s more a matter of how you’re raised (the original religious definition of who is a Jew says just that).

It’s a complex affair, really.

18. anna
    January 16, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Roman, your comments betray that you regard the country to which i belong to be beneath you. I have nothing left to say to you apart from, this is by far the worst method I have seen for creating ‘mutual friendships’.

19. Roman Kalik
    January 16, 2008 at 6:42 pm

Beneath me? No, Egypt is far from being beneath me. I don’t view anyone or any country as “beneath me”. Egypt is a country with a rich, ancient history, culture and people who all share my home region. Egypt is the country where my people could find refuge in during the Middle Ages. I have no doubt that if given the chance, Egypt and Israel could prosper together as friendly neighbors.

But I won’t pretend that most Egyptians like Israel today, or that Egypt is a free society. Egypt’s police force and military are but a reflection of its regime, and said regime sees no true reason for changing the current reality (poor people are easier to manipulate, and keeping the country next door as a comfortable distraction – without treating it as an enemy or as a friend overty).

My earliest replies in this post may have been angry and unfriendly, but neither was Mr. Anonymous in previous comments all that friendly-like, especially when he saw reason to throw jibes at Israel on a completely unrelated issue, and one that angers me (because Egypt’s government hasn’t been helping in this issue beyond words).

20. anna
    January 16, 2008 at 11:35 pm

if that was supposed to be a half-hearted apology, then it was exceptionally pathetic. you have the freedom to express your condescending and prejudiced opinions in whatever way you like. Just don’t expect the natives to like you for it.

21. Roman Kalik
    January 17, 2008 at 5:11 am

The “natives”?! Is *that* how you think I see people, as some colonial savages that I can look down on as sub-human? Okay, suit yourself. And no that wasn’t meant to be an apology. If you have to convince yourself that I hate Arabs or look down on them, then by all means, if it makes you feel better. If stating that your country is a police state and that your government is messed-up transalates to me “looking down” on you, then maybe I shouldn’t mention anything negative at all about Egypt, regardless of the reality at hand. Maybe I should just nod and smile when people say BS about how Israel’s prevents Egypt from securing the border between Israel and Egypt (perhaps I should wait for the next phase – the conspiracy theory, and accept *that* too). Maybe I should accept claims that Israel is just the bitch of the US, and that thus we can just hand over our medical system for any shake of a US flag. Perhaps I should further try to understand just why Palestinians who aren’t Israeli citizens should remain forever dependent on Israeli handouts – without ever developing sound state infrastructure (like decent hospitals) of their own. Or maybe saying that Egypt stations the worst of its military force as border guards is wrong, regardless of the fact that most get crap pay, come from incredibly poor families, and aren’t what you might call “many” in terms of how many are stationed at the border proper. Nor have they showed the same “zeal” in hunting down arms smugglers when compared to refugees.

If you want to interpret my words as an attack on Egyptian society, or Arab society, or Palestinian society, then I can’t stop you, can I? All I can say is – I’m sorry that you see me in that light.

22. anna
    January 18, 2008 at 1:34 am

the need doesn’t arise often to say this but the compulsion is overwhelming: Mr. Roman Kalik, stop being such an unmitigated ass!

23. luke
    January 4, 2009 at 4:09 am

There have been U.S. troops in Egypt since the 70′s. In fact I know this first hand as I am in the national guar and will be deploying to Egypt in July of 2009 for 12 months. NATO inforces a peace keeping treaty set by and between Egypt and Israel.

24. Anonymouse
    January 15, 2009 at 4:59 am

Soldiers from the Ohio Nationaly Guard have been in Egypt since Sept. 2008…in Sinai, specifically. They take no part in what is going on in the Gaza Strip. If the Iowa National Guard soldiers are not going to Sinai (enforcing the peace treaty), I would bet they would be there for OIF or WOT. Luke, good luck to you in Egypt…bring lots of movies ’cause from what I hear…you’ll have alot of time on your hands!!

25. hoho
    May 4, 2009 at 3:28 am

I’m in a TC det doing logistics, I got wind of participating in operation bright star for at least a few months, but I really don’t know anything else. Guess its need to know.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on US troops in Egypt

1. [...] Roman Kalik put an intriguing blog post on Comment on US troops in Egypt by Roman Kalik.Here’s a quick excerpt:Anna, genetic makeup is quite irrelevant to us. Culture, religion, and national aspirations are what is deemed as important in defining Israeli Jews. A convert to Judaism becomes part of the Jewish *people*, regardless of ancestry. … [...]