The Bad Joke

It's been raining for 2 days, and the streets are filled with water and mud and honking cars that refuse to move. Everything feels unclean, cars, streets, people,, yet the air feels crisp, as if cleansed by the fallen rain. It's dreary out there, and you realize that there is no beauty here. Not anymore. But this seems to be the way the world over. No exits. No Escapes.

I've been reading my older posts and it surprises me how full of anger and passion I was. People tell me that the trademarked Egyptian apathy has finally gotten me, but I disagree. The anger has simply turned into disdain. Stupidity runs rampant around here, and I can no longer make sense of anything. This is such a stupid world, especially this region. The Devil's asshole indeed. With every passing day I feel more and more like the Comedian from Watchmen: I get that this world is a joke, and that it's run by the insane and the stupid, and there is nothing left to do but to try to laugh at it. And all you could do is a try, because it's not even a good joke. In reality, it's a very bad one.

You look at the US elections for example, at the fight between Hillary and Obama, and you can't help but feel that the democrats are idiots for believing that Hillary embodies Change. Her supporters vote for her because, well, because they think they get her husband in on the deal, like that is supposed to be a good thing. You watch them as they double-team the guy who dared to challenge their Power, claiming he is a muslim, branding him as the black candidate, and using the Latin community's racism against blacks to win. And while I can't fault the Hillibillies as a unit, I can definitely fault Bill by himself. He is the De-facto leader of his party, while Obama is undoubtedly its future ( name one democrat that has Obama's appeal, fuck that, name one that has any appeal other than Obama), and to watch the Leader of the party attack and destroy his party's future and cohesion in order to have his wife win,, well, if that's not Nepotism, I don't know what is. God knows my heart sings to this because I know that she will get her ass handed to her come election time by McCain, but it's still so revolting to watch, especially because it's working.

And locally, it's even worse. Bush comes in to talk democracy and freedom of speech, protests erupt all over the country against the guys who keeps "butting in our business". But when the EU parliament issues a rebuke against Egypt for human rights violations, the Egyptian opposition can't stop itself from applauding and fawning all over them. I never fully understood the Egyptian opposition insistence that somehow the US is dirty but Europe is wholesome and good. That US money and support makes you a traitorous agent , yet European money and support is hallal. It blows my mind because the US never colonized us, but Europe did, repeatedly. Last I checked we had English officers in Egypt in 1956, and it was the US that commanded them out, yet somehow, America is the big bad and Britian and France are our heroes. People will tell you it's because of US's support for Israel, well, if you don't think the European leadership equally supports it, I've got a bridge into the 21st century that I would like to sell you.

Maybe it's psychological, the fawning over our old masters and our hatred against those who actually wanted us to be free. Maybe it's some sort of collective Stockholm syndrome or something, where we long for the aid of our old captors, unable and unwilling to be the masters of our destiny. God knows we were never really a conquering nation or even a self-respecting population that fended off invaders, let alone change our rulers. We are spectators at best, always have been, as great powers fought on who gets to be our new Daddy. We talk of self-respect and dignity but we wouldn't even know what self-respect meant even if it slaps us in the face. And dignity? Well, that's us fighting losing wars and lost causes, while cheering on Butchers who have taken on the mantle of our new heroes. But hey, we need heroes, and we will take whatever we can get, right? Hell, we don't even mind getting our borders blown up and our soldiers getting shot at, as long as it's done by the "heroic resistance", right?

I heard people at work lamenting this, how we should have the borders open, this way we are totally supporting the Palestinian cause and resistance. And when you point out to them that this would make Egypt complicit in Hamas' attacks on Israel, thus negating the peace agreement and would be nothing short of a declaration of war, the Lions behind the Desks shout and bellow that it's better to have a war than to live in such indignity any longer. Well, let me say it here loud and clear you fuckers: You want a war, then stop your whining and moaning and protesting and go to Gaza and fight; just don't invite one over here. We actually have military targets and an economy, and I for one wouldn't want to see another Egyptian drop of blood spilled because of that stupid conflict, so don't call for dragging us into a war that has no benefit or purpose to us. I can understand that you Koffeyah-wearing-posers care for the Palestinians more than your own country, forgiving their repetitive deliberate attacks on our soil and our soldiers ever since they got their "autonomy" over Gaza, but that's your prerogative and you can stick to it. I, for one, would like to have Israelis on the Border again. At least they don't shoot from behind their own women and children.

And spare me the bullshit moral indignation please. Egypt didn't create this situation, it's the Palestinians who chose to either support the corrupt Fatah or the suicidal Hamas, even when they all agree that they are both shit. If Hamas now controls Gaza , then they are responsible for those firing those rockets, which give the Israelis all the excuse they need to do the shit they do. You want to blame someone? I suggest pointing your fingers at them. I personally wouldn't mind creating a second Canal so that we are finally done with this bullshit. Either that or the people of Gaza could start supporting a third option, one that doesn't deliberately put them in harm's way to gain sympathy and support. But that day will never come, just as the "Middle-east conflict" will never be resolved. We will forever be here, stuck in shit and mud, unable to move forward with anything, like those cars in Cairo's muddy traffic. Time will not move, the stupidity won't end, and the bad joke will continue to be told, over and over and over, cause we simply don't know any other to tell.

0 comment on The Bad Joke

1. Charafantah
    January 23, 2008 at 9:09 am

Man, are *actually* praising the egyptian foreign policy in and indirect way? :)
    yea, i guess you changed :P

lol, no seriously, it’s true… people don’t really realize that, they think of wars like a *gangasta fight* that would last a few hours and go away, and the most damage that would come out of it is not more than a few scratches, and that we can kick the Israeli’s butts with our *faith* and *determination*

That’s mostly caused by the religious beliefs and the irrational thinking….and trust me, it’s very difficult to change what they think, until maybe they experience it

Just like the guy in a arabic movie i’ve seen who kept saying “Walahy 7anadafouna” and he got killed in the end :)

2. perry
    January 23, 2008 at 9:24 am

Clinton and Obama are arguing over who opposed the Iraq war more. That would make sense if things were still going badly. The irony is,Iraq may just lead the Middle East out of darkness. And Dems will probably find a way to take credit,LOL.

3. Leaflesseve
    January 23, 2008 at 10:34 am

“collective Stockholm syndrome” lol i like that
    and about those “hyper active Arabs” that say it’s better to have a war then to live in such indignity, i wish they really mean that. If they did we would have had a coup in every Middleastern country. HELLOOOO you are already living without self respect or rights… your country is STILL a dictatorship… All of a sudden you’re a PROUD Arab??? and you demand rights for Palestinians??? why don’t you get your own shit together first… Choose your battles people…

Great post Mo, miss ya

4. elie
    January 23, 2008 at 10:53 am

I just 100% agree with you on it not being apathy, but disdain… I feel the same for both my countries.

5. 259DW
    January 23, 2008 at 10:59 am

I haven’t quite reached disdain, but I have hit the point where I expect people to behave immorally, stupidly, selfishly, etc. I used to be the only one among my circle to be that way, and was often accused of being overly cynical. Now slowly they all agree. Sigh..

6. anna
    January 23, 2008 at 12:45 pm

I can’t be bothered to read up…..

why did Hamas start shooting/violence etc? provoked or general retardedness?

why doesn’t gaza strip have its own power generators?

7. anna
    January 23, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Anna,

Gaza used to have few power generators producing approx. 40% of Gaza’s demand in electricity. They all got destroyed in June of 2006 after Shalit got kidnapped and Hamas started lobbing rockets into Israel. Since then Gaza had only electricity delivered from Egypt and Israel. Now Israel stopped its deliveries. I can only hope it will stay that way until Hamas cries uncle. Well, whom am I kidding. Hamas will not buckle and Israel will open spigot anyway.

8. Don Cox
    January 23, 2008 at 2:00 pm

“why doesn’t gaza strip have its own power generators?”

There is one power station, which supplies about a quarter of what Gaza needs. This is what was shut down by Hamas, to show how badly the Gazans are suffering.

9. TeacherLady
    January 23, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Sandmonkey, thank you for a very succinct description of why I’ve let go of some of my rage on this issue. Priority is given to finger pointing and excuses made for every violent act rather than actually addressing possible solutions. How can you reason with people who feel that way? I guess it’s always so much more entertaining to demonize the West and perpetuate the misery to prove a point, even at the cost of innocent lives of their own people, rather than turn to education, self-sufficiency, and making a positive contribution to the world. Everyone has been wronged, in one way or another, but it pisses me off when people define themselves and their culture by how they have been wronged and not by how they choose to act and rise above it.

10. anna
    January 23, 2008 at 2:45 pm

can’t we just help them fix their generators, flip the switch back on.. I’d rather do that at our expense than have a war.

Also, I’d just like to say that Mubarak did try to help us by closing the border to protect Egypt from the ensuing chaos, but we are the ones who said no. Credit where credit’s due

11. Chaim
    January 23, 2008 at 3:04 pm

“I heard people at work lamenting this, how we should have the borders open, this way we are totally supporting the Palestinian cause and resistance. And when you point out to them that this would make Egypt complicit in Hamas’ attacks on Israel…”

Just. Plain. Stupid. Are you really positing that had Egypt allowed critically ill Gazans in (numbers of Palestinian ambulances carrying critically ill were turned away at the Rafah crossing)… had your regime allowed food and medicines in, this would have made Egypt complicit in Hamas’ attacks on Israel! Not sure if you heard, but 1.5 million Gazans were living in catastrophic conditions due to the closures… read the news kid! Though your regime is quite incompetent, I’m very certain that your regime is capable of allowing foods and medicines, and evacuating the critically ill, without helping Hamas. Or are you going to tell us all that helping Palestinian civilians is a crime against Israel. You need help kid.

12. Toa
    January 23, 2008 at 3:15 pm

The Palestinians are their own worst enemies. Let them stew in their own jihadist juices, maybe they’ll scrub their toilets clean of the extremist shit they’ve blessed themselves with.

13. Craig
    January 23, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Chaim,

You are apparently unaware of what international law has to say on the matter. When you aid one party in a war (even humanitarian aid) without the consent of the other party, you can and probably will be considered to be participant in the war. That’s why “neutral” humanitarian organizations like the red cross exist.

14. Xylo
    January 23, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Chaim;

Palestinian ambulances have been known to carry weapons.

15. Z
    January 23, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Well said!

16. Chaim
    January 23, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Ok Craig, the point remains the same. by keeping the border closed, Egypt is preventing neutral organizations from functioning! Nobody is telling Egypt to send aid. All that’s being demanded is to open the border, allow human rights organizations to function, allow them to bring the bags and other supplies they need to distribute food. The Egyptian regime has collaborated with Israel and prevented these very basic humanitarian needs. Of course, the functioning of human rights orgs is not assisting Hamas, as this kid is suggesting. Let’s be very clear about this point, Egypt didn’t just refuse to help Hamas, or refuse to send aid. No, Egypt, closed the border to everybody, including humanitarian organizations, including critically ill Palestinians. That has nothing to do with assisting Hamas, as this kid has so idiotically suggested.

Xylo, like I’ve said, I know the regime is incompetent, but not so incompetent that they can’t search the ambulances, for example. Stop playing stupid.

17. brooklynjon
    January 23, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Call me crazy, but in every other part of the world, sovereignty includes the right to control who is crossing your border. Egypt has every right to seal its border (as, incidentally, does Israel). Ignoring any responsibility Egypt has toward Israel (which it does, incidentally, have a peace treaty with), Egypt has every reason to want to keep out people trying to cross the border illegally, whether or not they are combatants in an armed conflict.

As far as humanitarian issues are concerned, it seems to me that there are plenty of people around the world, many in Egypt’s own backyard, who have it at least as bad as the Gazans, and who (unlike the Gazans) do not share some corporate complicity in their own poor fortune. I feel for the innocent of Gaza. But I also feel for the innocent of Sderot, and I feel far more for the innocent of Darfur. Does this make me callous? Maybe so.

And, of course, if you want to know why Gaza can’t produce its own electricity, you really need to ask Suha Arafat and Mahmoud Abbas what happened to the billions of international aid that has been sent to the Palestinians. True, some of it was spent on the “resistance”. Resistance that has principally been aimed at civilian population centers, mind you, but resistance nonetheless. Of course, quite a bit of it has trickled into Suha’s pockets in Paris. Regrettably, little has been devoted toward improving the lot of the people of Gaza. Their ploughshares have been beaten into swords.

Nevertheless, the people of Gaza wanted independence, and they have gotten it in spades. Like many an attitudinal adolescent, the people of Gaza are learning the hard way that responsibility accompanies freedom, and that ultimately one reaps what one has sown. They have sown misery for the people of Sderot. What shall they reap?

18. anna
    January 23, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Which humanitarian organisations exactly tried to get through to Gaza and were prevented, Chaim?

“masked gunmen with explosives destroyed most of the seven-mile wall dividing the border town of Rafah. ” Which part of that do you not understand exactly?

19. EgyPeter
    January 23, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Umm excuse me, but when the hell did Egyptians start becoming Palestinians?? Are Egyptians Lebanese, Saudi and Iraqi too??
    Egypt needs to butt the fuck out of this whole problem!!!!

As if Egypt is a functioning country with a working Government where it has the authority to mediate over this conflict…LOL!! Why don’t we get our own fucking house in order first????!!!
    One wonders that if Egyptians put HALF their passion/energy they have over the whole ‘middle-east conflict and put that to use in actually solving their own countries problems…I’m pretty sure Egypt wouldn’t be the cluster-fuck it currently is!

It’s this whole damn ‘arab’ notion, that idiot Nasser started, that has sadly rotted the brains of most Egyptians…and has cost our country dearly

How ’bout an Egyptian movement of ‘EGYPTIANS FOR EGYPT!’

20. Olive Picker
    January 23, 2008 at 7:09 pm

Sandmonkey, we love you even when you are morose.

Having an enemy is a very convenient excuse so as do not actually do something to run a country and improve life. Cavafy was from Alexandria, you may have probably seen this poem before

Please don’t be like that, people are batshit crazy all over the world, it’s not just you.

21. anna
    January 23, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Right Chaim, any further offers of verbal diarrhoea? No humanitarian organisations were blocked because there were NONE.

“Some staggered back into gaza with televisions and others were sporting brand new mobile phones.”

“Rami al-Shawwa, a 23-year old falafel vendor, said he planned to head to Egypt in the afternoon, after his brothers returned from there. He was going to buy waterpipe tobacco and just “smell some new air”. air”. ”

Source: The Times (thanks bj for the link)

You blew up our border for this????? Call me crazy too but last time I checked, buying tvs and tobacco wasn’t high up on the list of to dos for desperate, poor people in a humanitarian crisis. There are people in our own country who can’t even get a loaf of bread to eat a day.

And the thing that struck me is they have been trying to blow up the border for weeks. For weeks? What on earth is going on here? I thought this whole thing only started last week. Hamas had this planned all along?

egypeter, ur funny when u get wound up- finally an egyptian on here

22. Jim
    January 23, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Alright, it’s time you moved to the US and became Secretary of State. Your analysis was spot on. If that won’t work then become President of Egypt. You would make Egypt a truly great nation.

23. Joanne
    January 23, 2008 at 8:31 pm

A very enjoyable read. Believe me, you are not alone in your thinking that the world is full of stupid people; it would be laughable if it wasn’t so sad.

24. EgyPeter
    January 23, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Hi Anna, hope you are well! And I get wound up about Egypt a lot…it’s too easy :)

Seriously though, you were right on…tens of thousands of Palestinians are flooding already over-flooded Egypt buying shisha tobacco, smelling ‘free air’ and doing God knows what when a quarter of Egyptians can’t even buy a ful sandwich in their own country. And the Government and MB will rally the cattle on the street and go on and on about this forever… Plus, we need less people in Egypt, not more…

EGYPT FOR EGYPTIAN INTERESTS’ ONLY!

25. rjschwarz
    January 23, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Well written post and fascinating to read a blogger out of Egypt.

You know I’m always amazed when I consider Egypt with their high population and general lack of oil and how they have Libya and Sudan nearby, both corrupt and weak and full of oil.

I mean they go hell-bent after Israel again and again but they could have been the heroes of the US (and gotten US assistance covert or not) in taking down those two neighbors and yet they never did.

On one hand Egypt should be proud for behaving, on the other how many poor Egyptians let alone folks in Darfur or the black part of Sudan would be better off.

Anyway, just a thought that has sort of pestered me. I’ll have to read more of your posts. Perhaps the answer is in there somewhere.

26. anna
    January 23, 2008 at 9:42 pm

hey egypeter :))

tens of thousands…. more like 350,000 according to that Times artcle.

they’ve actually been planning this for months not weeks, like i said up there.

27. Rona
    January 24, 2008 at 12:54 am

*sigh* sad but true.

28. anonymous
    January 24, 2008 at 1:58 am

I, too, am sick of the Palestinian cause. Fellow Arabs and Muslims they may be..but enough already…Egypt has already spilled enough blood for them and for what. ..so that they could become traitors amongs themselves, thieves, liars…like all politicians…khayneen…I also don’t think this will ever be resolved…it’s tedious…it’s tiresome…and everybody has an agenda and promoting it

You sound very depressed..perhaps it’s the weather…or the lack of fun in your life…or winter..i saw the streets of Cairo on my dish…my Egyptian spring getaway is cancelled…just as well

U should head 2 Sharm and maybe go hook up with a nice European blonde for the weekend…it doesn’t always have 2 be about falling in love SM…sometimes a person just has 2 take time off and go and enjoy…

Go take a break..u know something like 3/4 of Egyptians are walking around undiagnosed with clinical depression…that’s pretty serious

29. Eva, Canada
    January 24, 2008 at 3:12 am

It’s so very simple:

Stop. Shooting. Rockets. Into. Israel.

But that would require brains capable of feeling responsability for the welfare of fellow Palestinian citizens. That’s too much to ask.

Good article, SM. You are not the only one who feels depressed by this effing world.

30. Ruth
    January 24, 2008 at 7:53 am

Anna, you got the facts completely wrong.

There was always just one power station in Gaza. It got hit when Israel tried to get Gilad Shalit back before he was competently hidden and/or smuggled into Sinai. However, it has long been repaired since.

This power station is run on burning diesel which is delivered by Israel. At full capacity it can probably cover 25% of the energy needs in the Gaza strip. About 5% are delivered by Egypt and the remaining 70% by Israel directly fed as electricity into the grid.

Israel never stopped the supply of electricity. It reduced the quanitiy of fuel. Most of the “humanitarian crisis” was just staged…

31. rjschwarz
    January 24, 2008 at 2:45 pm

I have a silly question but a lot of this discussion seems to center on the Israeli or Egyptian borders. Fact is most trade goes over seas and Gaza has a coastline. Why can’t supplies and NGOs come in by sea?

Perhaps instead of aid and rockets the world should build the Pals a functioning seaport. One extensive enough to handle containerships so Gaza could become a trade hub like Singapore or Amsterdam. Located near the Suez canal it would be a nice location for it. If the Pals would actually work and not blow themselves up they could become rich and buy Israel in time.

32. ito
    January 24, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Conversations with God. It’s an interesting book. You can’t control how others will feel about your choices and decisions so do not blame yourself. It makes some interesting points. It’s whatever you decide it to be. If there isn’t enough time to read it download through torrents the audiobook. I like your posts. I think you’d enjoy this book even if you decide to make fun of it in your very able and sarcastic way.
    I read a few books by Naguib Mahfouz and I get the same impression about Egyptians that you talk about in this post. I love the way he writes.

All the best Monkey! ito

33. anonymous
    January 25, 2008 at 12:23 am

Even Eva…Give UP Land 4 Peace Israel

Worked with Egypt

And all ARabs r the same right?

34. Out of Tears
    January 25, 2008 at 12:38 am

I have despaired of the middle east; it has been war for 4000 years and sooner or later the region will be a radioactive sheet of glass. I feel such sorrow for all the people who just want to live their lives as best they can and are trapped by the hate that just keeps getting worse.

35. Howie
    January 25, 2008 at 1:25 am

SM-

Bold, truthful, straightforwards piece…Excellent job of self-critique and introspection.

36. Yaeli
    January 25, 2008 at 10:25 am

hey Anna — this is Yaeli from the Good Neighbors blog (gnblog.com). We are hoping to increase the Egyptian perspective on the site and would like to invite you to take part as an author. If you would be interested (please please :) contact me at yaeli.kaynan@gmail.com

37. Suzanne
    January 25, 2008 at 11:00 am

Nice post, though I would not mind Egypt taking over Gaza. :)

Btw, thought that you might find this interesting:

In Cairo, noise pollution can be a killer

January 25 2008 at 11:17AM

Cairo – From blaring car horns to wedding parties, rising noise pollution in the 24-hour metropolis of Cairo has reached alarming levels, leading to hearing problems, irritability and even death.

38. Nadine
    January 25, 2008 at 12:39 pm

I’m sorry but from what I see the Egyptian government has finally done something the right way. It opened the borders for a while then it closed them. It cannot possibly be accused of being complicit with Hamas and it also cannot be accused of being callous to the needs of the Palistenian people. I wholeheartedly agree that there are people in far worse situations who are not getting half the attention (like those in Darfur) but what can you do? It’s pan-arabism and its going to be around for quite a while.

39. Lynn
    January 25, 2008 at 3:54 pm

It opened the borders for a while?? Are you kidding? If someone breaks down my locked door and then holds a gun to my head to gain entry to get out of the cold is that the same as my opening my door and welcoming them in to warm up a bit?

Egypt didn’t do anything about it at first because they weren’t equiped to deal with it and in order to save face they pretended that they didn’t do anything out of compassion for their arab brothers. Didn’t I read about shots being fired and Egyptian soldiers people being shot at when the wall was first blown up?

40. Paul
    January 25, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Obama has appeal? What is his appeal? He wants change? What change? He never speaks beyond the catch phrase. He talked of sending military into Pakistan if elected. Yeah thats a great idea. Lets fuck things up more for us.
    Vote Hillary!

41. lelly
    January 25, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Hey sandmonkey,

Your blog and you both rock! Hilarious and informative.
    And I want to express my support for the Palestinians trying to flee their prison in gaza. If thats worth anything.
    Go Palestinians, its so amazing I hope Egypt doesn’t get too harsh on them…
    Peace, l.

42. brooklynjon
    January 25, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Paul,

lelly,

I’m with you. They should all go on to live long, happy, and peaceful lives in Egypt, and have many Egyptian children and grandchildren.

43. Kate in NYC
    January 26, 2008 at 12:04 am

Look at the bright side: If the Gazans decide to stay in Egypt, you’ll have cheaper nannies, better gardeners, and plenty of delicious tacos.

Or does that only happen when Mexicans break through a wall? I’m confused.

44. Richard
    January 26, 2008 at 5:11 pm

I thought it was hilarious that the Israeli deputy defense minister was like ‘oh please, take it’ when the border to Gaza got blown up. Seems like if Mubarak’s not careful he’ll end up getting stuck with Gaza, and all the problems inherent to it. I know it’s not funny to you, sandmonkey, but I can’t help laughing at the mental image of Gaza being some kind of Hot Potato neither the Israelis nor the Egyptians want.

45. Paul
    January 28, 2008 at 5:07 pm

“brooklynjon Says:
    January 25th, 2008 at 7:29 pm
    Paul,

You must admit, however, that a foreign policy that includes invading an ally does represent a change. A vote for Hillary is a vote for the status quo ante that is using the military only against enemy nations. We’ve tried that for 219 years. It’s time to shake it up a little and do something they’ll never expect! When we’re done with Pakistan, I say Canada’s next!”

Brooklynjon,
    I see the humor that you attempt but its not really funny that so many innocent lives are being lost by American hands. Everyone knows we are losing the battle in the Middle East. Invade Pakistan too to shake things up? The only thing to fall in that shake is the United States.
    Obama is inexperienced and ignorant. Dont fall for a catch phrase of “change”. Obama is sounding like Johnny Cochran at the OJ trial. “If the glove dont fit you must acquit”. You’re like the mindless impressionable juror who likes pretty rhymes and casts your vote.
    Use your brain and evaluate the issues and what he proposes to do.
    Oh yeah not too much! He sure can offer up short pretty catchphrases though.

46. Cafe Alpha
    January 28, 2008 at 6:47 pm

I don’t think war between Egypt and Israel is likely at all. It would take something really stupid, not that stupid is impossible.

47. brooklynjon
    January 29, 2008 at 11:40 pm

Paul,

You misunderstand me. Invading an ally is insane. However, I note that it does represent a change – perhaps this is the change that is his mantra.
    And I personally do not buy the whole “innocent lives lost by American hands” line. Mostly, the innocent lives are being taken by terrorists who are true believers in a genocidal death cult. At least that’s my take.

48. Anna-A
    January 30, 2008 at 7:40 pm

” I get that this world is a joke, and that it’s run by the insane and the stupid, and there is nothing left to do but to try to laugh at it. And all you could do is a try, because it’s not even a good joke. In reality, it’s a very bad one.”

Perfectly said.
    I didn’t even finish your article, since that quote truly stunned me.
    It helps to have someone validate your/our thoughts..thanks for all of the free laughter therapy:)
    Blessings

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The Bad Joke

1. [...] the Dead Sea. I have a few pictures that I really liked, which I will post below. In the meantime, here’s a post from Sandmonkey that I can agree with to a [...]

2. [...] Here’s the great Egyptian Sandmonkey, in a bit of a funk and tired of hearing his countrymen squawk about Gaza. [...]