Gazans want to stay in Egypt

They would never want to get into Egypt, they said. They would never give up staying in their land, they said. Every single last one of them would go back, they said. Right..

Eissa Sweillem entered Egypt
through the breached Gaza border — but not just to shop at stores. The
27-year-old unemployed Gaza man hopes to buy a fake Egyptian
identification card so he can get through security checkpoints and
across the desert to Cairo.

Egyptian officials say they have worked hard to keep Palestinians
bottled up near the border since hundreds of thousands poured across
after last week's breach. They are continuously stopped at checkpoints,
and most make it no farther than the first two towns: the divided city
of Rafah immediately at the border and El-Arish, about 40 miles away.

But some Palestinians, and perhaps also some weapons from Gaza, have made to other parts of Egypt, including Cairo.

Weapons? But they are only there to smell the sweet air of freedom. Why would they have weapons?

Well..

One state paper, Al-Ahram daily, quoted unnamed officials Wednesday as
saying Egyptian security forces had rounded up several armed
Palestinians across Egypt, foiling a number of terror attacks including
some planned against Israel.

[...]

Most Palestinians trying to get farther into Egypt insist they are
merely seeking work, or even just fun — any escape from Gaza. The
territory has been largely cut off from the outside world since Israel
and Egypt closed their borders following Hamas' violent takeover in June.

Sweillem and some friends, staying at the house of an Egyptian
Bedouin friend, want fake IDs so they can get to Cairo to find jobs. He
and his friend Abu Malek said they once worked as laborers in Israel
but have not been employed since Gaza's blockade.

Each was offering $50 for an ID card. But so far, their Bedouin
friend, haggling over the phone late at night, had found only one with
a picture that looked similar to another of Sweillem's friends.

There is one of them though, that I do sympathize with:

His cousin, a 22-year-old Gaza high school dropout who gave only his
first name, Muwaffaq, said the young men wanted to watch belly dancers
in Cairo night clubs and taste alcohol for the first time. Liquor is
not allowed in Hamas-controlled Gaza.

"I will not give up. I will keep on trying until I do it," Muwaffaq said.

Imagine. No Alcohol. The Horror!

0 comment on Gazans want to stay in Egypt

1. Suzanne
    January 31, 2008 at 10:05 am

A Dutch researcher just found out that people who drink no alcohol are more likely to be depressed than those who do on a moderate basis.

Get out of this depression, Palestinians! ;)

2. leo
    January 31, 2008 at 1:15 pm

“Muwaffaq”. Is this real name? Sorry about that. Had sort of “red neck dictionary” moment.

3. dick
    January 31, 2008 at 4:16 pm

Having seen how they behave when sober, I dread to think what they’d do if they got drunk.

4. EgyPeter
    January 31, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Well, for me, booze is an essential staple….but them again I’m not an allegedly starving Gazan!

Are Gazans gonna feed their children the satellite TV’s they bought in Sinai too?

And just to add to your whole “black” thing SM, remember those Sudanese refugees that the Egyptian army slaughtered? How come they weren’t allowed to leave and buy cigarettes, cement, shisha tobacco and satellites?? I could’ve guaranteed you that our Sudanese “brothers” would, at the very least, not be planning Terrorist attacks from our own soil, unlike our Palestinian “brothers!”

Anyone here besides me get the feeling that Egypt does things ass-backwards??

5. Melissa in NorCal
    January 31, 2008 at 5:46 pm

If all these young angry men had some R&R with some hot little honeys in Cairo, there would be a lot less terrorism.

6. RocketRay
    January 31, 2008 at 8:31 pm

QFT. The solution to Islamic extremism is employment and getting young men laid.

7. Maya M
    February 1, 2008 at 6:39 am

I wouldn’t advise Gazans to try and produce brendy. This is dangerous – if you don’t observe the technology properly, the product can blind and even kill you. But wine is easy to produce and safe. Hamas can ban every droplet of alcohol but cannot exterminate the yeast. I don’t know whether Gaza is supplied with grapes, but other fruits are also OK if you add some sugar.
    Sam, why don’t you help poor Gazans by finding and publishing on your blog some know-how about fermentation? Make wine, not war!

8. Abu Kufr
    February 1, 2008 at 1:39 pm

“Why on Earth don’t Gazans try to produce home-made alcohol? In my country alcohol is sold everywhere but many people still keep the tradition to produce home-made wine and even brendy.”

Because Mohammed banned alcohol. Muslims are not to drink it at all. This has no rhyme or reason to it, except that Mohammed didn’t like drunks.

“Make wine, not war!”

9. leo
    February 1, 2008 at 1:49 pm

“If you’re too drunk, you can’t fight and kill the infidel! What kind of Muslim would you be then?”

Drunk (and happy?) Muslim.

10. brooklynjon
    February 1, 2008 at 7:00 pm

I think a whole lot of this anger, extremism, and violence is the fruit of deprivation of alcohol, music, and sex. Let the guys go to a club, have a couple of beers, dance with a girl. Strapping on a bomb will probably seem a little less like a good idea.

11. Ana Tafengi
    February 2, 2008 at 11:37 pm

No. 10.
    Having alcohol on earth, music and banging club-going babes is nothing compared to what Gazans can expect in paradise. I mean, what can beat the fact that a suicide bomber gets 7 virgins, who as I understand, once you bed, she becomes a virgin again. Don’t forget the everlasting flow of wine and life without end. To the best of my knowledge, this beats anything on earth.

12. Mohamed
    February 4, 2008 at 11:36 pm

I suggest we launch the first “Quench Gaza’s Thirst” campaign, where we’d put subsidised beer machines right by the border. Contact me for donations.

That will save water, might solve the border crossing issue and make everyone happy…

Joke aside: I do believe that the lack of Entertainment with a big E can push people in finding solace in the weirdest things ever. I think that applies to Saudis as well, for instance..

13. brooklynjon
    February 5, 2008 at 3:14 am

Ana,
    According to some authorities (and I am DEFINITELY not one of them) it’s actually 72 raisins, which hardly seems worth it.

Mohamed,
    I totally agree with you. Not about everything. But about what you said above – 100%.