The Bahai's get symbolic Victory

They won't get their religion mentioned in their ID cards, but they won't get any other listed there either. It's a start! The question is, can we all do that?

0 comment on The Bahai's get symbolic Victory

1. leo
    January 31, 2008 at 1:07 pm

“but they won’t get any other [religion] listed there either”

As it should be.

2. yochanan
    January 31, 2008 at 9:42 pm

just looked at my american id (ill.) no place for religion on it hump

3. Marco Oliveira
    January 31, 2008 at 9:52 pm

The question is not to have (or to have not) their religion mentioned on a ID card.
    The question is have the same civil rights as any other Egyptian citizen.
    And for that every Egyptian needs an ID Card.
    And to have an ID card one is not supposed to lie about his/her identity…

4. Jordan
    January 31, 2008 at 10:49 pm

It was good news bad news.

And since the Prophet Mohamed is the LAST prophet, I guess it is illogical to convert to any religion created after Islam. (ahem, Bahia)

Although tn terms of excuses for demanding religious freedom for ONLY Muslims, I must say they are becoming much more creative.

5. brooklynjon
    January 31, 2008 at 11:05 pm

“And since the Prophet Mohamed is the LAST prophet, I guess it is illogical to convert to any religion created after Islam.”

So…then they wouldn’t allow Jews or Christians to become Muslims, because of the same logic problem? Or are they just Muslim supremacists? I wonder.

BTW, I haven’t met a Bahai I didn’t like, and I’ve met quite a few that I do. Nice garden in Haifa, too.

6. Spanish Dancer
    February 1, 2008 at 3:28 pm

“The court determined that Muslims are NOT allowed to become Christians because it would be “illogical” to convert to a religion that came before Islam.”

It’s only illogical if, as mentioned later, you actually believe that Mohamed is the “last prophet,” and if you believe that, you’re probably not trying to convert. It’s only “illogical” within a Muslim belief system, and the same goes for converting to a religion created after Islam. I’m guessing converts don’t buy into that system, which is the reason they are trying to convert in the first place.

7. ito
    February 1, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Bahai’s can leave it blank but converts from Islam to Christianity can’t change their IDs accordingly. Why? For a “very good reason” apparently.

“the judge found that the convert, Muhammad Hegazy, “can believe whatever he wants in his heart, but on paper he can’t convert.”
    Also :)
    “Since Islam is the “final” and “most complete” religion, Muslims already have full freedom of religion and are not allowed to return to the “less complete” Christianity or Judaism, the ruling said.”
    (Freedom of religion) and (but not allowed) are, as we all know very well, synonymous phrases. Or maybe just used together for clarification.

This article reminded me of your post SM and of what BJ and SD said above.