Three Popular myths debunked for the day

The HPV vaccine doesn't really protect you from HPV..

Mobile Phones don't cause Cancer….

and Marriage doesn't get better with time!

Have a lovely day!

Comments

1. brooklynjon says:

The linked article on HPV (which I’ve only partially read) is pretty misleading. They’re making a fuss about the fact that the FDA says that most people who get HPV don’t get cervical cancer (which is true), and by extrapolation saying that HPV is not associated with cervical cancer (which is not true). It’s like saying that since most people who smoke never get lung cancer, then cigarette smoking is not a cause of lung cancer. It’s a spurious argument.

Most women who get infected with HPV don’t get cancer. But most women with cervical cancer have it because of an HPV infection. So if you prevent the infection, you’ll prevent most cases of cervical cancer.

Okay, now I’m off to read the rest of the article.

bj

2. NaturalNews has also learned that HPV vaccines have been proven to be flatly worthless in clearing the HPV virus from women who have already been exposed to HPV (which includes most sexually active women), calling into question the scientific justification of mandatory “vaccinate everyone” policies.

This alone should clue you that these people are crackpots. Vaccination is not a form of treatment, it’s a form of prevention. No vaccine is going to clear the virus from someone who has been infected. Rather, the idea is to vaccinate all girls before they become sexually active, preventing them from becoming infected in the first place. There is no point in vaccinating someone who is already infeced, no is it proposed that this be done.

3. With respect to cellphones and cancer, there are all sorts of conflicting reports, so I wouldn’t give any of those studies too much credence.

4. Here’s a 4th debunked myth for you Sam:

“Ivory Coast will beat Egypt in the semi”

Dunno if you follow the footy or not mate, but all the same; Well done the Egypt team. A cracking game and a well deserved win.

Come on you Pharaohs!

5. pleasantmoon2 says:

I have studied papillomavirus for 10 years. Papillomavirus is a group of viruses that are well-known to cause cancer and precancerous lesions in various species of animals including people, but also in cats, rabbits, dogs and monkeys, etc. Most papillomavirus infections in women do not result in cancer, but can and do cause pre-cancerous and cancerous lesions. In most cases the viral infection is cleared but certain strains of the virus will cause cancer and it is impossible to know which lesions/warts will clear on their own. Papilomavirus is indeed the cause of cervical cancer in women in most cases. It has been known for many years that Nuns and vigins do not get cervical cancer. it is also known that one man can spread the infection to multiple woman – that is what Evita Duare died of, just like her husband’s previous wife died of…he killed them both with a strain of nasty papillomavirus. Early on, it was the epidemiology of the disease that pointed to the fact that cervical cancer behaved as a sexually transmitted disease. I am not familiar with the efficacy of this particular vaccine but it makes sense that it must be administered prior to exposure to the virus. I agree that pap smears will still be necessary as no vaccine is 100% efficacious. Also there are some cervical cancers that are not related to the virus – specifically some kinds of adenocarcinoma. Also, condoms will not prevent the spread of this form of veneral disease ie. genital warts, as the virus can be spread by contact with warts at the base of the penis, not covered by a condom.

6. Olive Picker says:

The article on HPV is a load of shit, even more so for blaming the vaccines for not doing things it never promised in the first bloody place.

Yes, it won’t protect from every strain of HPV, yes, not all girls will have the immune response necessary for immunity against the strains the vaccine does have. But an extended vaccination program (they are conisdering including the boys as well) can at least assure herd immunity for some of the greatest women killers in the world.

I would really much rather you linked to an article about how vaccines do NOT cause autism.

7. Note this is not a peer-reviewed and scientifically done study. Get your medical opinions elsewhere.
    By the way, in the U.S. “natural” remedies are not subject to FDA regulations on content, purity, etc. Beware of many “natural” concoctions. You don’t know what you’re getting.

8. brooklynjon says:

Well, it looks like it’s been peer-reviewed here, and the “peers” are not favorably impressed, so there you have it.

Pleasantmoon,

Interesting info. Do you recommend that people get vaccinated? Do you know if any more efficacious vaccines are on the horizon?

Should sexually active people get tested for the presence of the virus before getting vaccinated?

9. Melissa in NorCal says:

The article about HPV is garbage. I had High-Grade Dysplasia of my cervix and had to have half of my cervix removed because it was turning into cancer and my doctor said it was because of a strain of HPV even though I didn’t know I had it. It is very common. About 80% of sexually active people carry the virus, but not necessarlily the dangerous strain I carried since I test negative for any strains of HPV now. The vaccine targets the most dangerous strains. You should get the vaccine before you are sexually active or you can still get it later because even if you are already infecting with one dangerous strain, you may not have been infected with all the dangerous strains and each one reacts differently with individual immune systems. Ladies, get checked out. There is no shame in it. It could mean your life.

10. pleasantmoon2 says:

The vaccine must be given before a person becomes sexually active and I think both young men and women should be given the vaccine – although they are currently only giving to women bacuse it is women that can potentiall die from the infection. Not sure if boosters will be needed. Pap smears should still be done every year – they are saying every 3-5 years but that is crap because I have a friend who developed the type that is not caused by papillomavirus and if she had waited 5 years between tests, she would be dead right now. I have no idea if new vaccines are coming out.
    Personally I think that the vaccine for dental carries should be developed for market – but I bet there is a strong lobby by dentists to keep it off the shelf.

11. brooklynjon says:

Pleasant,

Ya got that right. There is an inherent conflict of interest between prevention and cure.

Fortunately, I have a long time to wait, because my 10 and 12 year-old daughters won’t be sexually active until they’re 35. Right?

12. mouseinthehouse says:
  13. One has to refer to medical literature before judging the effect of a medical intervention (medication, vaccine, surgery) and the medical literature over the past two years have shown that the HPV vaccine is VERY effective in preventing cervical cancer.
    HPV doesn’t only cause cervical cancer, it may cause vaginal, vulvar, anal, and penile cancers as well and usually it’s the same strains of HPV 16,18,31,33 and the vaccine works very well(not always) in protecting against these strains. The MEDICAL literature supports it. Maybe journalists don’t want to but the medical literature does!

14. You are just to funny Adam

15. So why the heck is gardasil so expensive breaking the budget of doctors already?

16. CONGRATULATIONS TO EGYPT!!!!!!!

17. I was going to comment about the claims of “natural” antivaxer quacks but I see that there is no need for it anymore. My admirations to above commenters, and to Sam for having such a community of readers.

18. no entry about the african cup??

19. And, I have a large pool of friends who do claim that marriage gets better with time. Seems we never get invited to these particular polls.

20. Olive Picker says:

# Twosret Says:
    February 10th, 2008 at 6:05 am

It’s the patent, pure and simple. The company that develops a new medication has the exclusivity for a number of years and in order to make up for the R&D budget as well as cover costs and make a profit they pretty much name their own price.

21. “That being said, the fact that medications are advertised on primetime TV like they are cars or something is ridiculous and it also hikes up the prices.”

You said it there, what makes people think they are qualified to diagnose and prescribe themselves after they’ve seen a TV commercial?

The “marriage doesn’t get better with time” myth is true if you get married when you’re immature, selfish, narcissistic and unaware of what a partnership is. If you don’t fit into those categories and find that special person you enjoy sharing with, then it’s absolute nirvana, simple as that.

22. everyone is immature, selfish and narcissistic to an extent, especially when put in the ‘right’ set of circumstances.

23. It’s interesting to hear people worry about the ‘radiation’ from cell phones, when the same folks never worry about the solar radiation they’re bombarded with every time they step outside, or the radiation they absorb from staring at a computer monitor all day. A new piece about ‘moderate Muslims’ is up at the top of http://www.darrellepp.com I really hope you can check it out. Have a good day. And, most of the married people I know do NOT recommend it.

24. brooklynjon says:

anna,

“everyone is immature, selfish and narcissistic to an extent”

How dare you say that! I’m rubber and you’re glue! Anything bad you say about me bounces off me and sticks to you!” Now I’m off to gaze into a mirror and self-actualize myself.

25. Maram,

I’m sure Sandmonkey will post something maybe he is too busy celebrating :) it was amazing to see the reaction of all Egyptians all over the world.

Sweet and well deserved victory.

Hassan Shahata ya Maa’lem :)

26. lol BJ, you always makin us laugh. The rubber and glue line (methinks you nicked that from your kids), could I use it on the boss?

27. Hey You,

Aren’t you gonna write something about Egypt winning the African Cup!! and how proud you should be of ur country!!! Walla you just write about the bad things ONLY ?? hah?!! =)

28. Ah, might as well say something here. Egypt won the AFrican cup of nations for the 6th time and I believe the first time back to back. Next stop, World cup!

Mabrouk 3aleki ya Masr-

29. Adam Lakeman says:

Hehe, yeah SM, its not like you to miss out on a football story if it involves Egypt kicking butt! Seriously congrats to all the egyptians reading this!

30. Nermeen,

If I was in Egypt now which I wish very much I won’t even look at my computer screen, I will be out celebrating and having the time of my life. We are all proud of Egypt and I know that Sandmonkey is proud too.

31. “Immature love says: ‘I love you because I need you.’ Mature love says ‘I need you because I love you.’”
    – Erich Fromm

Happy Valentine’s day everyone!

32. Regular drug stores and pharmacies such as the pharmacies that are at the mall sell herpes home remedy at expensive cost, however, all internet pharmacies sell remedies for herpes remedies that are cheap and effective.