A world without Islam

If you think that a world without Islam is a safer , better world, than Nouri has something to tell you!

0 comment on A world without Islam

1. EgyPeter
    February 28, 2008 at 9:29 pm

What a stupid post. I couldn’t disagree more.

I’m not saying that the world without Islam would be safer, I’m just saying that analysis is simply way off.

You can’t generalize “Orthodox” into one group. For all intents and purposes, Greek, Armenian, Coptic, Russian, Syrian, Romanian share the same doctrine but differ greatly in culture.

“The culture of the Orthodox Church differs sharply from the Western post-Enlightenment ethos, which emphasizes secularism, capitalism, and the primacy of the individual. It still maintains residual fears about the West that parallel in many ways current Muslim insecurities: fears of Western missionary proselytism, a tendency to perceive religion as a key vehicle for the protection and preservation of their own communities and culture, and a suspicion of the “corrupted” and imperial character of the West. Indeed, in an Orthodox Christian Middle East, Moscow would enjoy special influence, even today, as the last major center of Eastern Orthodoxy. The Orthodox world would have remained a key geopolitical arena of East-West rivalry in the Cold War. Samuel Huntington, after all, included the Orthodox Christian world among several civilizations embroiled in a cultural clash with the West.

2. EgyPeter
    February 28, 2008 at 9:38 pm

con’t.

I find the above paragraph pretty laughable. How can whoever this is presume to know what 1400 years of subsequent history in an Orthodox Christian Middle East would look like. Is this guy Nostradamus?

And in an Orthodox Middle East, RUSSIA would enjoy “special influence?” Huh? Just goes to show how ill conceived and silly this article is. The Coptic Orthodox Church, still the largest Christian community int he middle east, has been completely autonomous from Eastern Orthodoxy since 451 AD! Is this article using the Cold War as a reference??

And I don’t see Greece being dominated by Russia these days either.

Terrible article.

3. Twosret
    February 28, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Oh Egypeter my Goodness we are going to agree about this one :)

What does the Otrhodox faith have to do with the world being safe without Islam? This is the first time I hear that Russin Orthodox has anything to do with M.E. Othrodox. I can challange you that only 5% of Coptic Orthodox or even less will know that there is Russian Orthodox :)

I married in a Greek Orthodox church with the blessing of Pope Shenouda and most of the Coptic Church where my family lives consider my marriage not Orthodox because they are ignorant about Greek Orthodox Church.

I will have to read this article again to try to understand what is he or she saying I won’t go to harsh language :)

4. nomad
    February 29, 2008 at 10:36 am

Im not a specialist of orthodox church, though it seems that the ortodoxes in Serbia are equal bigot as the muslims in Kosovo, the clash there is also a religious clash as well a civil clash

5. Adam B.
    February 29, 2008 at 11:25 am

…and as usual, the author falls into the same trap as many others with a similar message: comparing present day Islam with the Christianity of 2 centuries ago. I can’t see how christians behaving badly 200 (or even 100) years ago can excuse the behavior of islamist groups today?

The muslims of today has made it a habit to lean on the role of ‘victim’ to erase a feeling of inferiority towards the west, at least as far as scientific progress and social stability goes, instead of following the example set by many far-east countries, who easily adapt and adjust their own culture to fit into the modern world. This is what creates the many conflict that involves muslims these days.

6. Hrag
    February 29, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Graham E. Fuller is writing a book on “Islamism”…how orientalist is that?!?! I think it should disqualify him from commenting on Southwest Asian matters and signal his ignorance of the issues at hand.
    And why does your blog point to a blog that no one but “team members” can post comment on? This is the blogosphere for chrissake.