Lebanese family keeps a slave girl in Modesto

For 14 years. Imagine that!

0 comment on Lebanese family keeps a slave girl in Modesto

1. Anonymous Leb
    March 4, 2008 at 2:55 pm

:-( sometimes i feel sorry just being Lebanese.

2. Gila
    March 4, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Her attitude is amazing. I would have gone postal after a year or two.

3. Melissa in NorCal
    March 4, 2008 at 8:49 pm

I just came from Africa. I saw poverty like I never really believed was possible. Being a “slave” in America is much preferred I think for these people. It really didn’t sound like she was abused or mistreated. She lived there for free and was fed in exchange for domestic services. The only thing they are guilty of is not helping her to become independant sooner than 34. She should have been sent to school and out on her own by 23 at the latest.

4. ito
    March 5, 2008 at 3:48 am

So much patience and such a good hearted person. Now she has people who can put smiles on her face more often.

5. Mavis
    March 7, 2008 at 5:11 am

“I just came from Africa. I saw poverty like I never really believed was possible. Being a “slave” in America is much preferred I think for these people. It really didn’t sound like she was abused or mistreated. She lived there for free and was fed in exchange for domestic services.”

Well then, that makes all the difference. Let’s all be slaves in Modesto, it sounds wonderful.

(/sarcasm)

6. DegreeGirl
    January 31, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Slavery is never right but it seems that she was treated more like a servant with her room and board in exchange for her work. They should have helped her become more independent and should have paid her something considering she was always on duty with no time off, but thank goodness she wasn’t beaten like some of those who work for Saudis have claimed. It’s a shame the family is Lebanese because most Lebanese people I know are wonderful. Don’t think all Lebanese are like this.