Anti-Israel egyptian singer makes Obama song

Shaban AbdelRaheem, of the "I hate Israel" song fame, is reportedly making an Pro-Obama song:

The hugely popular Egyptian pop singer Shaaban Abdel Rahim, best known for his controversial political songs and outrageous style, will soon release a new track celebrating the end of Bush's presidency—and endorsing Obama. In an interview last week with Dar Al-Hayat, Rahim said that Obama is (roughly translated) “a good man, kindhearted, and better than Bush.”

Rahim, also known by his nickname “Shaabolla,” gained international notoriety in 2000 when he released the song “I Hate Israel.”
(The song’s subtitle, “But I love Amr Moussa,” refers to Egypt's former
foreign minister and head of the Arab League.) Since then, he’s had a
rocky relationship with Egypt’s censors. They allowed “Israel” to be
broadcast but banned his follow-up tune praising Osama Bin Laden. (Its
chorus: "Bin Bin Bin Bin Bin Bin Laden.") Other songs he has rolled out
include “Hey People, It Was Only a Tower” after 9/11, “Don't Hit Iraq” in 2003, and “We Are All Out of Patience” about the Mohammed cartoon controversy in 2006.

Now, the person who wrote this story is my very own good friend Gemmyhood, who is enjoying a stint of employment at Slate. Gemmy- who is an Obama supporter- had told me about the story before he published it, and I told him that it would be used to harm the Obama candidacy. He thinks I am exxagerating, but follow me on this, ok?

Obama has a problem now: this is the third time in recent memory where he gets endorsed or supported by someone who is blatantly anti-semetic or anti-Israel ( Farakhan, Wright and now Shaabolla). While it's not the man's fault that he gets supported by kooks, it could totally be used against him in that  slimy "we are just asking harmless questions" way usually employed by DC political hitmen. First they will start asking questions in an innocent way : "well, we are not saying that Obama is an anti-semite, but he certainly has a certain appeal to anti-semetic people, so it begs the question of 'why is that?". What is it that those people know that we don't?" And that should get the ball rolling in the heads of people, especially that Obama so far looks too good to be true, and as we all know, that probably means he is not. Some people will start wondering if maybe there is something to the accusation of Obama being anti-semitic, especially that the man whom he considers his spiritual guide- and the man he won't disavow- has had his share of Anti-Israel and -US sentiments. That will get the ball rolling, and it won't stop there.

Secondly, they (Hillary's people most likely) will start sending e-mails that highlight these concerns to jewish donors, and they will add to them quotes like the ones in this post, which show clearly Jihady Anti-Israel people saying that they would like Obama to be the President and that it would embolden them in their attacks. Done right this could make many Jewish donors very Jittery, which could lead to them to re-consider supporting Obama, or starting to fundraise more for Hillary or McCain. And that's when the third step starts.

The third step would be running headlines reporting the phenomenon of declining support for Obama amongst Jewish voters. Headlines like " Jewish Donors escape Obama" or "Due to anti-semetic concerns, Jewish voters flock to Hillary, McCain" will start rolling on newspapers, websites and Opinion news TV shows. This will, of course, start attracting the real anti-semetic crazies in american politics. Sure, Stormfront won't exactly endorse Obama, by Cynthia Mckiney can, and she is both black and anti-semetic (no longer a democrat though, but imagine if she still was, a trifecta). The news of course would find its way to the Middle-east, to which arab people will respond with statements of sympathy and support against those "damn joooz" who are going after him, which will also be carried to the US media via international news agencies, blogs, etc..etc.. Soon enough the words "Anti-semetic" and Obama will be together in so many headlines that people might start believing that Obama is really anti-semetic. And how bad can it go from there? Well, very bad…

If this takes place before the super delegates fight at the convention, well, then the Clinton-Loyal super delegates will finally have the excuse they need to support her over him, despite his leading delegate count. You see, they can't "in good conscience" give their votes for someone whose views on racism and anti-antisemitism have "so many questions around them". Better to be safe than sorry, they will say, and they will vote for Hillary anyway, who no one can ever accuse her of being antisemitic (Senator of New York, hellooooooo). And even if that doesn't happen, even if the super delegates give Obama the nomination, this will surely be used by McCain in the general election. And after all, Israel is the US number #1 ally in the war on terror, so do we want someone leading the war who could harbor towards Israel the same views that the terrorists have against it? Does that seem like the kind of person you want to trust with America's national security? Huh, does it?

You know it would work.

0 comment on Anti-Israel egyptian singer makes Obama song

1. Marianne
    March 21, 2008 at 6:34 pm

Do you think that Shaabolla will do all that, is he that influencing??? Does he have this power? come on…
    I like your analysis but don’t exaggerate, it was just a question raise and it doesn’t need all that blast!

2. The Sandmonkey
    March 21, 2008 at 6:44 pm

marianne, read it again, e7temal mokhek yeshtaghal we yefham ana ba2ool eih!

3. bleh
    March 21, 2008 at 7:57 pm

He might catch the anti-semite label, something that wouldn’t be possible if he didn’t attend a church that appears to have some issues with ethnic nationalism, but the big problem for him will be corruption issues that really show up when the race for super delegates tightens.

4. Lawrie
    March 21, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Oy. I doubt Shaabolla can do all that with his support, but I know the games the media plays in DC. Your scenario is quite possible unfortunately, since Obama’s opponents will probably jump on anything to defeat him (though anti-Semitism might not be the subject). So let me just say that this is one Jew who is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT behind Obama.

5. reine.de.tout
    March 22, 2008 at 7:22 am

Sandmonkey – I’m here regularly, and I am always amazed by just how much you know about US politics and politicians -

6. Nadav
    March 22, 2008 at 9:48 am

You seem to give much weight to the anti-semitic song titles, but why go so far? the “hey people it was only a tower” song can do all this harm alone, without resorting to external factors like Israel and sntisemitism

7. Marianne
    March 22, 2008 at 12:12 pm

ya sam, do you see mosh ana bas

8. Danial
    March 22, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Who gives a fuck what some fat Arab singer thinks of Obama, and why should Americans care?

9. Marianne
    March 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm

Well, America must care for Arab people and the whole region… Egypt represents a leading Arab State.
    Although “fat and Arab”, which implies irony, sarcasm, and denigration for Arabs, pop singers represent the grassroots’ opinion!
    As I said before, it won’t influence the Presidential Race, but America must watch out the Arab reaction one day!

10. CoCo
    March 23, 2008 at 12:07 am

You can’t make this stuff up. Funny.

11. QuietusLeo
    March 23, 2008 at 2:18 am

Obama will be guilty by association until he unequivocally denounces characters like Farrakhan. But I still think this is a minor issue in the race. My impression is that the Americans are still not ready for a woman or minority in the White House.

12. Kate in NYC
    March 23, 2008 at 3:46 am

I doubt it would hurt Obama. Most democratic primary voters won’t follow the story, and if they do hear about it they won’t care. In the general election, the only ones who’d care are people who’d vote for McCain anyway.

Why is publicly expressing hatred so acceptable in Egyptian society? Is it an expression of a strongly Tribalist culture (i.e. a way to define your group by opposing another group)? Or does it have more to do with the widespread illiteracy and poverty in the country? I can’t imagine anyone here in the U.S. even making (let along hitting the top of the charts with) a song called “I hate Egyptians.” Didn’t happen after 9/11, and certainly wouldn’t happen now. Do Egyptians even realize how bizarre this seems to Americans and other Westerners?

13. Moose
    March 23, 2008 at 4:01 am

ahh shit monk,

The tides of elections and governments are tainted on either shore or continent by the rantings of another. I have followed your pissing and moaning for years and agreed with you 90% of the time. Go on little brother, go on.

14. Moose
    March 23, 2008 at 4:04 am

won’t ever agree about ‘Bush good’ but I don’t live there and you don’t live here. Be well

15. christina/ohio
    March 23, 2008 at 5:47 pm

This matters greatly to Democratic Jewish voters. I’d guess that 99% of them are Democrats and nearly 100% of them are for Clinton already because of this sort of thing. If 6-8 million voters stay home or cross over on election day that will be very noticable to the election results. In a country that is split 45%-45% with the middle 10% making the final decision anything that puts a percentage off matters.

16. brooklynjon
    March 23, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Christina,

You could become rich by betting on Jews voting against their own self-interest.

17. leo
    March 23, 2008 at 6:54 pm

This Egyptian singer alone wouldn’t mean anything but as extension of ‘Wright affair’ if carefully handled he might become one of nails driven into Obama’s political coffin. Then again, I could be totally wrong. In any case, given my political preferences this time around I say: Sing Rahim, sing!

18. Zelda
    March 23, 2008 at 7:12 pm

I hate saying this, but Obama’s been sitting his ass in Wright’s church pew for 20 years. I think it’s safe to say he wasn’t trying to change Wright’s anti-semitic views all that time.

Obama may or may not be anti-Semitic, but he’s chosen to associate with them for decades, without repudiating their beliefs until called upon to do so. His being endorsed by them is just the icing on the cake. To say with certainty that he isn’t anti-semitic simply strains credulity and no one wants to vote for him on whether he might not be anti-semitic. White candidtates lose far less important positions for far less intimate associations.

There are better African-American candidates out there – Harold Ford (D) for one, and JC Watts (R) for another. They aren’t tainted by these particular lunatics and would probably never get their endorsement. They’re the ones with a real shot at calming race relations, but I highly doubt they will ever go anywhere within their parties because politicians in both parties thrive on racial division.

19. Lynne T
    March 23, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Is it naive of me to suppose that if Shaaban Rahim was provided with quotes from Obama in support of Israel (and they do exist and are unequivocal), that he [Shaabola] would withdraw his paen of praise?

20. anna
    March 23, 2008 at 7:45 pm

No, I’m not seeing this one either. First, the obvious, that Shabolla is Shabolla a Shaabi singer that noone takes seriously. Shabolla gained notoreiety, not for his political analysis but for his outspoken lyrics. his endorsement means very little. I think you’re forcing the antisemitism issue. Shabolla hates america too and that’s probably the more important issue- an antiamerican guy supporting obama. The reason why he latched onto Obama is because of the God damn america stuff. Shabolla probably thought cool, guy hates the US like me, he’s my man. If that scenario is gonna play out, it will be about antiamerican sentiment, there’s more of that group.

That aside, I find Shabolla a right laugh because of how he expresses himself and how he is so concerned about world politics. I think i’d like his next song to be about taboor el 3eish.

21. twosret
    March 24, 2008 at 4:09 am

This singer is simply nothing, he can’t read or write, Americans can hardly keep count of the Clinton and Obama you tube videos

Don’t worry SM we will let you know if Shabolla is in the news here lol! so far he is nothing here :)

22. ash-shakkak
    March 24, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Yeah, I’m inclined to agree that this probably won’t be a big issue in the election. Obama can hardly be responsible for everyone who says he supports him, and Shabola is obviously such a clown that it’s hard to imagine anyone in the US caring what he says.

BTW, maybe I misunderstood the Al-Hayat article, but I think the upcoming song is just wishing Bush goodbye. I think his comments on Obama were an aside, and won’t be in the song. I certainly can’t imagine Shabola supporting Obama if he’d heard Obama’s stated positions on Israel.

23. Xylo
    March 24, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Most Americans don’t give a crap about the opinions of foreign singers, especially ones they never heard of.

24. Twosret
    March 26, 2008 at 2:36 am

xylo,

Shabolla was a cnn singer of the year :)

25. bikermailman
    March 27, 2008 at 3:50 am

You make the same point I had with Ron Paul. Obama and Paul neither one may be actual anti-Semites, but there sure is something in them that smells that attracts the maggots…

26. DaMav
    March 27, 2008 at 7:10 am

Obama seems to attract this kind of virulent anti-Americanism. Gee, I wonder why that is? Maybe its the fact that he won’t wear an American flag on his lapel, won’t put his hand over his heart and say the pledge, and refuses to cut ties with some guy running around cursing America and blaming it for all the worlds problems. You can’t blame the Egyptians for being confused, Obama’s actions make a lot of Americans wonder where his loyalties lie as well.

Thanks to ShabanAbdelRaheem for further exposing this fraud. The chickens are indeed going to come home to roost and Obama’s going to end up wondering wtf hit him politically when they do.

27. The Penguin
    March 27, 2008 at 11:31 am

Well, what do you expect. Obama’s wife is anti-American (I still think she should move to Iran or Venezuela), his favorite priest is a racist bastard (honestly, I think it’s fair and square to use the “N” word for him, he’s a racist, he deserves a similar reply), what do you expect?

28. Max
    March 27, 2008 at 12:49 pm

DaMav # 28:

I am most emphatically NOT a fan of Senator Obama’s – but your line about how he “won’t put his hand over his heart and say the pledge” is utter BS. It’s simply not true.

Why not use, you know, actual FACTS to advance your point of view? Not everything that arrives in your email inbox needs to be shared with the rest of the world – much of it can and should simply be sent to the trash bin.

29. [B]aalla is NO God
    March 27, 2008 at 5:21 pm

I have seen Youtube videos where Obama had his hands folded over his lap when the Anthem was played. In one instance he was with Hitlery and Edwards, remember him?

And guess what – both Hitlery and Johnny had their lapel pins and their hand over their heart.

And Obama.. standing aloof and non-chalantly to the side.. hands crossed in front of him.

30. P. Ami
    March 27, 2008 at 6:38 pm

@christina/ohio

I am a Jew. I live in a very Leftist part of the country (Portland, OR) and can tell you that most of the Jews I speak to are voting for McCain. I highly doubt that 99% of us are Democrats and even those of us who are signed up as such vote independently and not according to party line.

I won’t vote for Obama for a number of reasons. 1st, I don’t believe in Socialist government. I want the government to mind its own business and I don’t think most human beings are so under the thumb of oppression as to require charity. 2nd, I think Obama is too soft on the War on Terror. If one is going to get involved in actions that get citizens killed as combatants and civilians, if you are going to be killing human beings, then you should do so with the full and complete intention and determination to win. Let your enemy be the one who has to deal with losing a war while we as winners can be magnanimous towards our defeated foes. I refuse to count on my enemy’s kindness towards us of those who have allied to us during any war.

As for America not being ready for a minority or female President, if the right candidate came along, be they black, Arab, Jew, female or any other race, color or creed, I would vote for them. I do not consider Obama a patriot. I do consider Colin Powell a patriot. I do not agree with Hillary’s politics but I do not agree with Bill either. Its not the issue of race or sex. It is about the right person for the job.

31. Bozoer Rebbe
    March 27, 2008 at 7:06 pm

sandmonkey,

AbdelRaheem’s isn’t even a blip on the screen of the vast majority of Americans and his support of Obama is meaningless. Obama’s pastor Wright, on the other hand, might matter.

Since 1960, at least 60% of Jews have voted for the Dem candidate in presidential elections. Reagan and GWB did better than avg, but usually the figure is about 85%. While Jews make up only about 2% of the electorate, their are enough Jews in NY, FL, CA, and IL that they can possibly swing an election in those critical electoral vote states. Blacks, on the other hand, make up about 13% of the electorate, and vote about 95% Democratic. The simple math is that while massive Jewish support helps elect Democrats president, they can still win without it. Without at least 90% of the black vote, though, the Democrats cannot win the presidency. If Hilary wins the nomination, enough blacks may stay home in November to swing the election. Jewish Democrats allegiance to the party may cause them to support Obama for fear of losing the vital black vote despite whatever misgivings they have about Obama’s friends.

I’m not even sure many Democratic Jewish heavy hitters will back off on contributing to Obama’s campaign if he wins. Many will continue to support him. Lefty Jews have an almost innate tendency to disregard Jew haters on the left. Obama’s website sells Hebrew campaign memorabilia and I’m sure they sell. Many Jews will accept Obama’s explanation for the fact that his pastor is a lunatic Jew hater who promotes the most outrageous lies (e.g. Jesus was a Palestinian, Israel/Jews have developed a biological weapon that specifically targets Arabs and Blacks – surely a modern day blood libel).

I don’t think that Obama’s a Jew hater. Obama has said that he’s wanted to be President since he was a small child. He also has written about his own quest for identity as a black. Rev. Wright and Trinity United offered a young Obama both that identity and a political power base to grow on in Chicago. Obama is not stupid. On the contrary, he probably has a genius or near genius level IQ, as his wife does. The both went to Ivy League schools for both undergrad and law school. I think it strains credulity to think that they are unaware of Wright and TUCC’s delusional ideas when it comes to Israel and Jews and while you can’t assume that they share those views, they certainly tolerate them and financially support them with their donations to the church.

I don’t think Obama is hostile to Jews. I do think an Obama presidency would not be good for Israel.

32. Robert Magrduer
    March 27, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Obama may not be an anti-semite, but his foreign policy advisor just happens to be Zbig Brezinski, the most anti-semitic person ever involved in US foreign policy. Brezinski hates Jews with a deep passion, in that old Polish we want to see the Jews gassed, kind of style. Brezzinski is a big propronent of Mearsheimer and Walt. And lets not forget, he is, or was, the number 1 foreign policy adviser for Obama. He may have been officially dropped recently but is still someone with an open door to Obama and someone Obama would re hire in a minute. Brezinski was also the creator of the Afghan Arab army and he claims credit for the whole Afghan defeat of the Soviets, he claims he engineered that war from the start. Those are his own words. Brezinski had no clue whatsoever that creating an army of well trained Sunni jihadis
    would not be a security risk after the withdrrawal of the Soviets. As for the jihadis, they would have been beat without high level US assistance, specifically the stinger missiles that made low altitude operations too dangerous. And we still have not recovered, more than 300 of those stingers, presumably all now in Al Queada and Taliban hands. So if a civilian airliner is shot down by one of these, blame Brezinski, he is the great mind who thought up this strategy without bothering to consider the ramifications. Pakistan also went nuclear on his and Carters watch and neither of them did anything to prevent it.

The rest of Obama´s foreign policy team is known for making very hostile statements about Israel and Jews. Ms Power, who just resigned offically from the campaign after her “Hillary is a Monster” comment, said she thought the US should force a treaty on Israel by invading Israel and the contiguous areas !!!!

The lead foreign policy writer for Obama´s speeches is famous for his irrational leaps from point a to point b and this guy is a Jew hater from the word go.

And then there is the matter of the Reveren Wright giving an award to Farrakhan and Reverend Wright being Obamas number one spiritual adviser for 20 years. Does anyone in their right mind believe that Obama did not know about Reverend Wrights´relationship to Farrakhan ? does anyone believe Obama would not have heard, from another parishioner, about Reverend Wright´s “chickens coming home to roost” speech ? Even if Obama was not in church that day, people from the same congregation always discuss what the pastor says on Sunday, especially on the Sunday after 9-11.

Obama´s claims of not having heard about this stuff just add up to one thing, Obama agreed with Reverend Wright´s positions, or at minimum he assented by his silence, sort of like those “Good Germans” who saw the Jews being dragged away but did not want to say anything.

33. Arthur Trafford
    February 14, 2011 at 2:54 am

Modern day Israel
    The Nation of Israel became a nation on May 14, 1948, almost 2,000 years after it was destroyed in A.D. 70. There are many reasons why Israel couldn’t have become a nation before the middle of the 20th Century. Worldwide communities were too isolated from their own countrymen and the rest of the world and modern transportation and communications sure outclassed traveling by horse and sending smoke signals.
    After World War II modern communication and transportation inventions made it possible to know local news in other places around the world. People began to enjoy knowing about other cultures and wanted to know the top news events that were a concern for the locals in an area. Having global connections to other parts of the world gave them an opportunity and responsibility to give humanitarian or military aid to another person, group or nation who has a desperate need.
    On May 14, 1948 if you asked any Jew or Christian if they think that God established modern day Israel in 1948; there would be a resounding yes. In our fallen world, presumption is our “major sin” of choice; and has injured and killed more people emotionally and physically that all war in human history. We blame Satan if things go wrong in our lives, and we credit God for all the good things that happen to us. Most of life is a mystery, and we can’t determine for sure when God causes something to happen and when He is just allowing something to happen.
    The fact that a nation exist is not proof that God ordained it or sustains it. The United Nations was established in 1945 and by 1948 it was a very powerful influence around the world. The United Nations was established to encourage world peace after World Wars I & II were over. Those two World War death totals were about 66 million. Worldwide, 100′s of millions of people suffered emotional pain because of those killed in the war (a family member, friend or someone else that they knew). With all this death and destruction in the world, world leaders will now recognize Israel for “Peace” sake.
    In 1948 millions of Jews and Christians motivating 1,000′s of lawyers, politicians, religious leaders, entrepreneurs, and bankers worldwide, brought about the establishment of the National of Israel. So, human intervention, ingenuity, persistence and hard work is what created and fulfilled the dream of a modern day Israel (they didn’t really need Gods help). When Jews and Christians merge their personal desires and goals and seek to presume they are acting on a mandate and guidance from God; then they are lying to you and me and they are carnal disobedient children of God who pretend God is pleased with their religious cause.
    God used the Roman army to destroy ancient Israel in 70 A.D. God’s intentions were not to harm the people of Israel but He did want to destroy the political and religious hierarchy of the nation, because of their carnality, idolatry, killing many prophets, and later putting the Promised Messiah to death. These hypocritical self-righteous Jews had a lust for power, fortune and fame. But the common Jews of Israel received Grace from God and some stayed in their homeland while others were carried off into captivity; and hopefully all remaining Jews would repent and serve the Living God in righteousness.
    The good news is that God completed ancient Israel when He established Spiritual Israel. The Jewish Messiah said that He would build a temple, not made with hands. All Jews and Gentiles that have a personal relationship with and commitment to the Promised Messiah belong to the family of Spiritual Israel. The bricks of this new Temple are the Old and New Testament saints. And when you put your faith and commitment in the Jewish Christian Messiah, and believe that He died for your sins 2,000 years ago then you are in Gods Temple of Salvation.
    God won’t bless modern day Israel because a nation can’t kill the Promised Messiah and get blessed for their actions. Oh, I know that all humans are responsible for the death of the Messiah, but Israel was supposed to be the Spiritual leaders to the Jews and the Gentiles, but they rejected their Messiah. God now lives in the minds and hearts of men, women, boys and girls (and not in a Temple made with hands). The religious artifacts and religious destinations in the Middle East have nothing to do with worshiping the only true God; but are simply the “Cash Cow” of capitalism that promotes tourism, legalism and fanaticism!!!
    When someone gets married, someone says “Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate”.
    My saying here is, what God has destroyed “Ancient Israel”, let no man rebuild.
    I assure you that God has a better plan for the human race, for their no longer is a Jew-Gentile, male-female, free-slave category; we simply are all children of the Living God if we know and love the Messiah of Gods Salvation.
    GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY !!!
    Sincerely,
    ArthurTrafford.com
    U.S.A.

5Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Anti-Israel egyptian singer makes Obama song

1. [...] now on a Freedom House fellowship at Slate, who fed it to a Slate-affiliated blog and sent it to Sandmonkey (where I saw it first). Sandmonkey has some thoughts on what Shabola’s comment on Obama could [...]

2. [...] Barack Obama has picked up another celebrity endorsement—Shaban AbdelRaheem, the Egyptian pop singer whose best-known hit song is titled, ‘I Hate Israel:’ Anti-Israel egyptian singer makes Obama song. [...]

3. [...] Offers up an ode to Obama. Egpytian Sandmonkey reports. [...]