Texans are wussies!

From the Petraeus testimony:

Petraeus to Chris Dodd: "Every Iraqi is allowed an AK-47 in his house, by law."

I want one! :(

So not fair. hmmph!

Comments

1. Oh, yeah? Come down to Texas with your arms-deprived self and we’ll talk about it!

2. Noliving says:

Texans don’t need guns! They have chuck norris!

3. Haha, now you know the real reason why I am over here. Come visit, and we can sort you out.

4. I’d like one of the Russian or Yugoslavian AK’s. I only have a crappy Chinese AK :(

5. LaRoacha says:

Texans don’t need AK’s,,,,,,,most of us are equipped with hunting rifles that rival most sniper weapons. Well,,,,,,that and Chuck Norris………

6. RocketRay says:

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

7. How the hell am I now named Tim Patterson??????

8. Isn’t your name Roberto Perez!? I’m getting confused…

AKs are not bad. Not bad at all. They get a bad rap for being inaccurate, but I can bounce beer cans around at 100 meters with an AK or an SKS. And when it come sto reliabilty, seriously… is there even anything you can do to an AK that will cause it to malfunction? I estimate I put 10,000 rounds through one back in the 1980s and never had a failure to fire. Not once. Wish I could say the same for any of the M16s I was issued in the Marines :)

But on the other hand, I wouldn’t want to try to get through a USMC rifle qualifification course with an AK. I doubt I could ven get a round in the general vicinity of the 500 meter targets.

9. LaRoacha says:

Actually my name is Sanjay Lostalotofcockhair,,,,,,,,but who’s keeping score,,,,,huh.

10. As a Texun, I am Highly offended by the opening statementy of this post. Although my AK-47 is only a Semi-Auto. It can shoot an eight inch group at 300 yards. (A FULLY SELECT FIRE AK IS ONLY A MATTER OF A FEW HOURS IN A WORKSHOP). It’s Not the Gun, It’s the M-F on the Trigger that realy makes the difference. Frankly my AK is not my favorite Firearm. I like the SKS just as well. They are very similar in Quality. (My AK doesn’t have the Shity Stamped receiver of the Egyptian & Chinese Knock-Offs). But Quite Frankly, I’d rather carry into a fight my M1 Grand, my like new M-98 Mouser, or my M-14, or My Weatherby 300 win-magnum. Than My punny AK, it wold be a back-up weapon. Along side My Grand-Mothers S&W 357 Magum. You Know , She used to carry it in Her Purse When she was Alive! I’ve Owned several Egytian Weapons. My Egyptian contract SAFN49 was a big disapointment , as was my Hakim Rifle. My Rashid Carbine was too bad. DON’T BELIEVE FOR a MOMENT THE AVREAGE TEXAN IS UNDER ARMED!

11. I prefer my H&K 93A3 for close in work though it’s extremely accurate at long distance too. Every other round an AP. Never had a jam.

12. John Cunningham says:

Craig, I have to respond. When I got to Vietnam in ’67 I was issued the older three pronged flash suppresor model. Turns out the best they were good for was snapping the bands around boxes of c-rations. About three months later I was given the newer version and then Tet ’68. I dragged that M16 through all kinds of “stuff” and it never failed me. Cleaning the firing chamber is a problem still, but, if you can put the cleaning rod with brush on an electric drill it does an immaculate cleaning. That hard to get to area is something they never gotten worked out. Plus it’s only six pounds that can feel like a ton by the end of the day. Not to mention two days c-rations dangling from your shoulders in socks. I’d eat like a pig the day of supply so I wouldn’t have to carry as many cans to the second day. Then they’d bring out more. Six Meals Refused by Ethiopians can be carried in a shopping bag.

13. Ohhhhh, C-Rats. Bring back the Beany Weanys and you can keep the Scrambled Eggs And Ham. Turkey Loaf was pretty good too.

14. Hey John, I got to lug some of your damn C-Rats around the Philippines for a few months back in the 1980s. Lot numbers from 1972! Tasted a lot better than MREs at least. They don’t weigh all that much more, to the best of my recollection. MREs don’t contain as much freeze dried food as people think. At least, the ones we ate didn’t. Mostly, it was the same slop in C-Rats, only it was in tinfoil packets instead of cans. Nothing a lot of Tabasco sauce can’t fix, eh? :)

When I joined, we were still using the A1. Then we got the A2 in 1984. The A2 weighs a fair bit more than the A1 because it has a heavier barrel. Also, it has the round hand grips which I always disliked. They had a pretty bad rep for reliability, the both of em. Kinda hard to miss on the rifle range, when people are having malfunctions all up and down the firing line. No similar problems with the SAW, the M60, or the M2. Don’t get me wrong… the M16 and variants is a fantastic rifle. As far as I know, it’s the most accurate off the shelf automatic (or semi) rifle in the world. Lots of advantages. But robust design isn’t one of em :)

15. John Cunningham says:

Craig, isn’t that interesting. I got out in ’72. But, in ’84 joined the Guard. Now, it’s part time but, I was in for ten years. That’s when I was introduced to MREs. To me they were a great improvement, not only for the weight, but also the taste. To me they were like Stouffer’s in a brown bag. Even the way you heated them, no heating tablets or C4. A piece of cardboard that you add water to? What will they think of next. Now, I’m not trying to play on your sympathies but weight was a big problem. I’m not now or then all that physically imposing, not much cushion against me and the world. I tried the M60 one day, but it literally kicked my ass. I think it was the two times I just literally fell over because having to carry it on one boney shoulder threw me off balance. And of course both times were from a rice paddy dike into the rice paddy. It was a life of either being wet or in various stages of drying. I was able to carry a radio because it was centered on my back and I could better balance, I did that for the next five months. Everybody had to do something, that I could do, plus it gave me the opportunity to run my mouth and always kind of be in the middle of everything. But, everyone had to carry two belts of 7.62 for the M60. The big guy carrying the big gun couldn’t also carry all the ammo. So, you had the pack, me the radio, plus two belts of 7.62 and those dam socks filled with C-rations that were over each shoulder swaying back and forth with every step. And, believe me there was a lot of steps. In fact you kind of wished someone would start shooting at you so you could sit down for a minute and watch the air-show. It’s the little things. But, I lived.

16. John Samford says:

I was carrying an M-60. IIRC, I had a few jams, but they all came out of the same ammo lot. The M-16 was a POS back then and my son the grunt says it still is today. As long a Teddy the Swimmer is a Senator, the Army is stuck with the M-16. Once Teddy gets bounced from office ( or dies, the good citizens of Massachusetts are too stupid to vote him out and nobody has the balls to bring corruption charges against him) the Army will drop the M-16 so fast it will make your head swim. Right now, it’s worth an officers career to bad mouth the M-16. Teddy is NOT going to see all those jobs and money leave his state.
    The M8 was rumored to be a FINE weapon. As accurate as the M-16 and as reliable as the AK-47 with a round that didn’t turn anemic after 100 yards.

17. Prospero says: