Classy gesture or Cynical Ploy?

McCain released the following ad the day of Obama's candidacy at the democratic convention, congratulating him on his achievment for being a black candidate. At first I thought it was nice, and thought that be weird, and then I noticed its subversive nature.

"How perfect that your nomination would come at this historic day."

And by historic day, he means the 45 year anniversary of MLK's speech, thus highlighting the cynical interesting nature of positioning the nomination on that day.

But I could be wrong. What do you think?

0 comment on Classy gesture or Cynical Ploy?

1. David K
    August 31, 2008 at 9:30 am

If I had to guess (and I do), I’d say that McCain is trying to defuse the partisan appeal of Obama’s achievement.

What the Dems want to do is equate civil rights progress to the election of Obama as President. They’re celebrating the Prez. nomination by a major party of the first black candidate, and using that as a vehicle to bolster his chances in the general election. And it’s a pretty effective argument: not only liberal Dems, but many independents, are happy that the USA has overcame centuries of racism to have a black man come this far (and rightly so), and believe that electing Obama President could further bury America’s racist past.

What McCain is trying to do is say, “Yes, I agree — the fact that Obama has gotten this far is pretty cool. I’m as happy about it as you are, and voting for me doesn’t mean returning to Plessy vs. Ferguson. I am not going to be turned into the sole remaining obstacle to racial harmony in the United States of America.”

2. gail
    August 31, 2008 at 10:45 am

oh and the 3am txt mssge wasn’t a cheap stab?

3. tedders
    August 31, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Smart and classy tactics from an experienced politician, John McMcCain, neither have been tried to date by the Obama/Biden ticket. They came out swinging trying to destroy Sarah Palin by saying she had no experience! No experience? Oh really! Someone should tell the Obama campaign that experience isn’t exactly Barry’s forte’! In one breath the Dems cry out that Barry’s lack of experience is an asset while deriding Palins experience as Mayor and Governor! In reality Palin (who is running for the VP position by the way) has MORE executive office experience than BOTH Obama and Biden COMBINED! It seems to me that this is a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black!!! er uhm, you know what I mean!! LOL

The double standards and hypocrisy of todays Democratic party is mind boggling.

4. Babs
    September 1, 2008 at 6:47 am

I would agree with Tedders but also say that having McCain say something on the anniversary of MLK”s historic speech was not to be construed as a political “game” but rather an acnowledgement to the actual facts on the ground. That is that the Dems HAVE nominated the first somewhat black person to the ultimate position and he DID give his aceptance speech on the anniversary of MLK’s “I have a dream” speech. Sadly, he made little reference to the speech beause MLK no longer fits the ideolology of the left wing; only the spin they can put on it.
    The only thing I would say about that is that it is going to be a very close race based on a number of factors; race being a large part of it for a signifcant number of people who want to cast a ballott for Obama due to his race, which still makes race a problem in our country.

5. antares
    September 2, 2008 at 11:44 am

I do not think McCain intended any slight, cynical or otherwise. His congratulations were sincere. As he said at the end of his address, the fight starts tomorrow.

6. Becky
    September 2, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Who’s Barry? I thought Barry was scum..is Barry Obama?

I think the whole flipping circus is nauseating.

7. tedders
    September 2, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Barry = Barack Obama

Barry now says that because he’s running his campaign he has more executive experience than the Governor of Alaska! :)

8. leo
    September 4, 2008 at 4:33 am

If I am not mistaking Democratic convention was planned well in advance.

SM, most likely you are wrong on this one or at least partly.

9. Becky
    September 4, 2008 at 8:09 pm

I thought Barry had 10 thousand names? I haven’t seen him around here..awwww :D

10. Francis Walsingham
    September 5, 2008 at 12:16 am

Trig, Track and Bristol. Those sure are fine names.

11. leo
    September 5, 2008 at 2:26 am

No less fine than ‘Francis’. They are just unusual.

12. Joanne
    September 5, 2008 at 11:02 pm

MLK was a Repubican.

13. leo
    September 7, 2008 at 12:52 am

FYI.

Just finished watching CNN’s “Obama revealed”. Narrator kept calling Obama “Berry” though out whole documentary piece.

14. Becky
    September 9, 2008 at 4:06 pm

:D
    I saw that, too.
    That’s what tedders was talking about..I thought he just made that up.
    What kind of nae is Berry anyway? Fruity

Hope all is well with you, scum!

15. Becky
    September 9, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Fruity Frutcake

16. Francis Walsingham
    September 9, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Spell check, it’s not that hard to do.

17. Katie
    September 20, 2008 at 1:28 pm

While I don’t doubt the sincerity of McCain’s message, I DO think whoever wrote his script should have thought about the wording a little more, because I had the same exact thought when I first saw it. I mean, “How perfect…” just sounds sarcastic. Replace “perfect” with “convenient” and it would have changed the tone entirely.